Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dell 11z Scratch Install 3g Works 4g doesn't

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Dell 11z Scratch Install 3g Works 4g doesn't

I have an 11z that worked fine with the factory image.  However, I didn't like all the Dell junk that was on there, so I decided to wipe it and reinstall from scratch from the Windows CD.  I installed all the device drivers and sprint smartview software.  Smartview will connect fine to 3g and I can get out to the internet.  I can connect to 4G and I get an IP address, however I can't get out to the internet and get redirected to 4gaccess.sprint.com where it says I'm not activated.  The 4g worked fine before I reinstalled windows so I know my card is good. Has anyone seen this before and have a solution?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks. You pointed me in the right direction.  I have a second 11z with the factory image and I compared them side by side.  I was using the latest drivers from Intel (version 6.5) for the wimax card while the factory image was using version 5.3.  I did some digging on Dell's driver site and found the older driver, installed it, and I can now browse on 4g with no problems.  It appears sprint is not compatible with the latest (or perhaps non-oem) driver from Intel.  If anyone else runs into this problem, search for driver package R277518 from Dell to get the correct (and functioning) wimax drivers.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Master

It would be easier to find what is missing if you had a standard unit and yours side by side. In device manager under network adapters you have the wimax adapter, correct? I can't search all the Dell forums from this computer but that is where I would suggest you also look.

The 4G connection uses a separate username/password combination that is in the Smartview application. You could connect to 3G with an manual dun as long as the device is active and the drivers are loaded. We have people who do this but they have to use smartview to connect to 4G. I am not sure of the link between Dell programming and Smartview's username/password.

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks. You pointed me in the right direction.  I have a second 11z with the factory image and I compared them side by side.  I was using the latest drivers from Intel (version 6.5) for the wimax card while the factory image was using version 5.3.  I did some digging on Dell's driver site and found the older driver, installed it, and I can now browse on 4g with no problems.  It appears sprint is not compatible with the latest (or perhaps non-oem) driver from Intel.  If anyone else runs into this problem, search for driver package R277518 from Dell to get the correct (and functioning) wimax drivers.

View solution in original post

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat