cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the new 5gb combined 3G/4G data cap apply to mobile broadband devices?

Journeyman

After literally 6 hours on the phone and 15 phone calls multiple transfers between departments they are letting me out with no etf. The etf is for people trying to get out because of mobile hotspot change not the mobile broadband. Make sure you tell them its mobile broadband and it is a material change to the contract. Good luck!

Journeyman

Does anyone have the OFFICIAL word on this yet, and the details of the new limits?

ALSO

Does anyone know if this will this effect business mobile broadband plans as well, and how hard is it to get Sprint to transfer an account from consumer to business for my $59.99 (4G: Unlimited/3G: 5GB) MiFi plan (I am an actual small business, self employed...)

Journeyman

Bob,

I think the link in post #15 is the Official word, until we receive notifications in our bills. That link also explains the new limits. Just FYI, the 4G: Unlimited/3G: 5GB plan should be $49.99 now, if have one of the following phone plans: Simply Everything, Simply Everything Family, Everything Data, Everything Data Family.

http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/plan/plan_wall.jsp?tabId=pt_data_plans_tab&flow=AAL&planFamilyT...

Journeyman

My suggestion to anyone concerned about overage charges ($50.00 per GB) is to purchase a used 2nd device. I've seen used ODPs on ebay for $50. If you get near your limit, just activate and deactive the 2nd device as needed. This would buy you another 5GB for $50, instead of 5GB for $250 in overages.

Journeyman

I've been on forums for the past few days now, noticing how these new changes are making people get angry and feel entitled.  However, this is one case, I believe that the customer is right on.   I think that the link provided, the one been.jammin1 has mentioned, is correct.  I believe that's the official word.  I have to take the side of Bob here and agree that it's insane to pay $60 for the same plan that can cost $30 a month. What's the point of even having the Mobile Broadband then?? 

Journeyman

Re: Does the new 5gb combined 3G/4G data cap apply to mobile broadband devices?

clumzyklutz323 wrote:

I've been on forums for the past few days now, noticing how these new changes are making people get angry and feel entitled.  However, this is one case, I believe that the customer is right on.   I think that the link provided, the one been.jammin1 has mentioned, is correct.  I believe that's the official word.  I have to take the side of Bob here and agree that it's insane to pay $60 for the same plan that can cost $30 a month. What's the point of even having the Mobile Broadband then?? 

Oddly enough there's very little conversation on the topic. I'm guessing that once the customers see it on their bills (or gets slammed with a $500 in overages) there will be a lot more discussion. Sadly, Sprint does a very poor job notifying their customers of changes. A small notification in the bill is not enough. For this type of change, which has the potential to cost the customer a ton of money, a seperate mailed (or email) notification should be considered.

Journeyman

Agreed. There is very little conversation on the topic. I was the one that posted the "Official Notice" link after reading of the changes on my 'emailed' Sprint bill ... in fine print. When I first started my relationship with Sprint years ago, I encountered an billing error with the first three months. Since then, I read every detailed inch of my monthly Sprint bills. In fact, I scrutinize all my monthly bills because of that Sprint billing error. When I read of the 4G/3G change, I immediately called/chatted with Sprint Customer Service. As I posted earlier, most of the reps seem to not understand I was referring to 4G/3G USB Broadband Card and not Hotspot Mobile Addon. So, if you guys do call, make sure you tell them about Contractual Changes in 4G/3G Mobile Broadband if you're cancelling your account with no ETF penalty. It may take a while on the phone and you'll probably be transfered to multiple department, as Carson experience. Just be presistant and patient as I still believe the Customer Service Reps don't know the difference between Mobile Broadband or Hotspot accounts. It's a shame Sprint didn't sent out an "official" letter stating the changes. Instead I had to find out through fine print on my monthly bill. Those who do not view their monthly bill because of auto-bill pay feature will be in for a shock after November. The change takes effect 30 days after the notice in your bill, so for me I have until November 6 to cancel in order not be charged an ETF. I'll be cancelling the service this week and moving on to another mobile broadband service. Good Luck!

Journeyman jsy
    Journeyman

Well, my bill got processed today and I see the change of terms on my bill.  Sprint should be ashamed of themselves in the way they relegated notifying their customers of this major change to a small box to the left side of the bill.  I'm done with Sprint - I will be cutting the cord within the next 2-3 weeks and will not look back at this company.

I am not a long term customer - in fact, I only started back in June specifically for the 4G unlimited.  The way Sprint handled this speaks volumes and imagine how many people who use e-billing who won't notice this change and then get socked with a hefty bill one day.

I'm tempted to just cancel immediately.

Journeyman

OK, out of curiosity, I went to the sprint pans page, and as of 10/19/2011, I still see the 5GB/ Unlimited $59.99 /mo** 3G/4G Mobile Broadband Connection Plan, whats the deal, and what happens to some poor sap who signs up today? do the get their unlimited 4g ripped away at the end of the month (bait and switch anyone)?

Journeyman

Probably so. A friend of mine questioned me about moving to Sprint for their iPhone Unlimited Data option and wanted to know more about their 4G/3G USB Unlimited Broadband. Friend was just about to sign up when he rememebered I have Sprint Phone and 4G USB Broadband and wanted my views of the company as he's still not sure about Sprint (as a company). While I couldn't detail any experience of Sprints iPhone offer as I have Sprint LG Android mobile (which has been a wonderful phone and service), I was able to tell him my experience on 4G Mobile Broadband card. Of course, in good conscience, I could not and did not recommend he go with Sprint 4G Mobile Broadband and informed him of the "limited press release of changes" that are happening with the Broadband service. Of course, he did not know this as Sprint's website continues to show 4G "Unlimited" Broadband. Well, he didn't sign up with Sprint services at all -- decided to stay with his current mobile provider and purchased their iPhone S4 offerings. In addition, he also decided to stay with his current home Broadband service. So, I was very happy he touched basis with me first before making the decision to go with Sprint as I feel he might have been ripped-off by Sprint if he'd signed a contract with them.

Highlighted
    Journeyman

Pay my stuff online obviously so only thought the change was to those doing hotspots witht their phones, but now it applies to mifi's:

http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/sprint-set-to-axe-unlimited-data-for-hotspot-devices-20111021/

Probably have only gone above 5GB three times in 18mos, and they haven't charged me even on 3G (san diego), but I won't put up with the possibility.

I'm sure they will after this.

Journeyman

It's official. I have cancelled my 4G/3G Unlimted USB Broadband Data plan without paying an ETF. Called Sprint (*2) and spoke to a Customer Service Rep who immediately transferred me to someone in Account Services. I then spoke to a very pleasant gentleman about the reason why I was cancelling the Mobile Broadband plan. Initially, there was some confusion about "Hotspot Addon" vs "USB Mobile Broadband (which is what I have under a 2-year contract). Well, he stepped it up a notch to someone in Accont Services Level 3 Support. Was on and off hold for 20 minutes while the two went over my contact and plan. He then came back to inform me that I was right in the matter of a "Material Contract Change" and that Account Services will disable my USB Mobile Broadband at the end of this month billing cycle. So I have another week to enjoy my Unlimited plan. But on the 1st of November, the service will be officially deacctivated without an ETF. The entire phone called lasted about 25 minutes, most of which I was on hold. So, if you call be patient and remember to inform them that the account is 4G/3G Unlimited Broadband and NOT a Hotspot Addon. In the beginning of the conversation, the rep insisted my Broadband account was a Hotspot account, for which it is not as I have singed a 2-year contract for Unlimited Broadband services. Also, clearly state the reason why you are cancelling (i.e Material Contract Change from Unlimited to 5G capped under a 2-year contract). Again, be patient, as I posted earelier in this thread, Reps seem not prepared for this contract change and may need to step up your support case to Level 3 or a Supervisor. Oh, also I asked about what to do with my USB Card once the service has been deactivated and the rep informed me to either, keep it, sell it, or recycle it. Sprint does not want the USB Card back once the service is over/cancelled. Good Luck!

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
    Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat