cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the new 5gb combined 3G/4G data cap apply to mobile broadband devices?

Journeyman

Sprint, you have ought to be ashamed of your selves, changing the broadband card plans effective November 1st, 2011 from 5GB-3G / Unlimited-4G TO a combined 5GB per month, and then charging .05¢ per MB, which equates to $51.20 per GB, THAT IS INSANE! Not a single letter, or update other than a small update on the BACK top left of my bill's first page. First you up your ETF's, then kill the upgrade program to your loyal customers, then kill the Sprint Premier, and now to killing features that ARE STILL BEING ADVERTISED AS FEATURES TO NEW CUSTOMERS on your website. How can you think you can get away with this??! I thought Sprint believed in the power of being unlimited. Unlimited in what sense, highway robbery, bait and switch???!

I have already called and cancelled my data card, effective the end of billing cycle.  I will be taking my service over to Verizon where they will only (in a sarcastic way) charge me $10.00 per GB in overage as opposed to $51.20 per GB here at Sprint.

Journeyman

Does anyone know if the new limit also applies to old, old grandfathered mobile broadband card plans with no 4G at all?  For over 5 years I've been on an unlimited 3G-only mobile broadband plan for $80/month.  When Sprint started imposing limits on 3G mobile broadband, I was grandfathered in and not subject to the cap.  My October 4th bill did not include a notice that my service was changing on back of first page.  Just curious if anyone else on a similar old plan has received official notice that they will also be subject to the new limit?

Journeyman

I'm not sure about "Grandfathered" 3G-only Broadband accounts. A friend of mine has been Grandfathered in with Unlimited 3G-only data plan that he's had for years. He too haven't heard anything about the cap on those Granddaddy accounts. Overall you might want to contact someone in Account Services to get verbal clarification. I was under the impression that ALL Sprint Data plans will be capped at 5 gigs. I could be wrong. The reason Sprint is capping 4G plans is because Sprint decided to scrap the Clear/Sprint 4G WiMAX agenda and have decided to build their own "LTE 4G" network from scratch. In essence, Sprint is moving away/distancing themselves from Clearwire and in doing so, limiting 4G WiMAX usage until they've build up their new LTE network. Once Sprint LTE is up, every current Sprint 4G user WILL have to upgrade their device (and possibly service) to work under Sprint LTE. As for Grandfathered 3G-only accounts, as I said before, you may want to contact them concerning this matter. Sprint owns their 3G network so I'm not sure if these changes will affect current 3G-only customers.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just got the notice in my bill today. I'm a moderate user, average 5GB a month - some more, some less. I don't really want to have to monitor my usage though, that's why I liked the unlimited. Looks like I'll be going to another carrier to avoid the ridiculous overage fees. For the next month I will be abusing my unlimited data while it lasts, transfering nonsense files back and forth between computers over the network. Hopefully I can get 1TB in 30 days. Screw you Sprint!

Journeyman jsy
Journeyman

I am a medium-light user and have not broken 3GB (I have the Unlimited/3GB plan) and I am still going to cancel.  I had this plan so I didn't have to watch the usage as well and now they can't offer me that anymore so I'm gone.

Journeyman

Just called customer service. The agent claims that she just got a letter from corporate today saying that hotspots(like a mifi or overdrive) would NOT incur overage charges on 4G. She says that the change is ONLY for phones acting as a hotspot. I'm not sure I believe her, but that's what she told me. I should have recorded it for later when I get a $900 bill.....

Journeyman

TIMSECOR2 wrote:

Just called customer service. The agent claims that she just got a letter from corporate today saying that hotspots(like a mifi or overdrive) would NOT incur overage charges on 4G. She says that the change is ONLY for phones acting as a hotspot. I'm not sure I believe her, but that's what she told me. I should have recorded it for later when I get a $900 bill.....

I wouldn't doubt that a Sprint rep gave you this information, and I hope that it's true. However, Sprint reps are notorious for providing customers with incorrect information. I would believe what is printed on the bill (and the link provided by josef.higgins in post #15 of this thread) before I believe anything a Sprint rep says.

From my bill dated Oct 28, 2011:

Oct 28 Bill Notice - MBB Data Allowance.png

Journeyman jsy
Journeyman

I agree - I'm believing what's on my bill and I won't stick around to find out after it's too late to get out of the plan.

Journeyman jsy
Journeyman

...and I just cut the ties.  (Sorry, couldn't edit the previous post.)  Sorry I couldn't stick around Sprint - but despite me not going over the limits, I needed to have the security of the unlimited plan.  Thanks for the short time we had together.  The rep was helpful and pleasant, so I was appreciative of that.

Actually, I have a few days left before the end of the cycle.

Journeyman

I'm over 10 years as well with Sprint and they couldn't careless about any of us. The only thing they had going for them is gone.... Just really awful way to do business.... I'm leaving as well!

Community News

Having trouble posting or viewing your Private Messages? We made an update to the Community registration process which requires you to validate your email, click here to read more about it.