cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the new 5gb combined 3G/4G data cap apply to mobile broadband devices?

Journeyman

Please tell me that the new 5gb combined 3G/4G data cap I am reading about (http://www.goodandevo.net/2011/09/mobile-hotspot-feature-on-htc-evo-to-be-capped-at-5gb-beginning-oc... and http://www.sprintfeed.com/2011/09/sprint-capping-phone-as-a-modem-to-5gb-starting-october-2nd) does not apply to mobile broadband devices? ( I have a MiFi 4082)

90 REPLIES 90
Master

The broadband devices/plans have had the 5gb cap since 2008.

Journeyman

Not for 4G, the 5GB cap only applied to data used over 3G; 4G data that was accessed through the device remained unlimited. I want to know if the new mobile hotspot data cap that effects the mobile hotspot app on the smart phones also applies to mobile broadband devices like my MiFi 4082.

Anyone from Sprint please answer.

Thank

Journeyman

That is what I got from the posted stories... I was hoping to get the official Sprint answer, to be sure they are not planning something similar, as it is the change they made to the hotspot came out of the blue...

Master

The Mobile Hotspot changes to the 5GB limit are effective 10/2/11.

Beginning 11/1/11 Mobile Broadband data allowances across the board are going to pull from the same "bucket" of data, regardless if it is 3G or 4G usage. This includes the Mobile Broadband card/routers like the USB cards and the MiFi/Overdrive devices. Existing customers will be notified via bill messages or postcards being sent in October and November to provide a 30 day notice and the change will take effect on the first day of their next billing cycle after the notice is sent.

So in the end ALL mobile broadband services will be pulling from a bucket of data allowance monthly, no matter what type of device is connecting (USB broadband card, MiFi, Overdrive, embedded chip like in a Netbook). The only exception is on-phone usage, like within the web browser on the phone, Facebook, etc. type applications.

Journeyman

Re: Does the new 5gb combined 3G/4G data cap apply to mobile broadband devices?

And exactly how big is this "bucket", it i get the same 5gb of data cap on my $59.99 Connection Card Data Plan as i pay for the $29.99 Mobile Hotspot on my Evo, why the heck should I keep my $59.99 Connection Card Data Plan?

Please respond ASAP

Master

halcyoncmdr123, From what's being stated this change now is only for phone hotspot and PAM, Your post here is the first I've seen that it is accross the board.

What the techs are posting, Just about an hour ago and again the first mention of anything but phone hotspot and PAM being effected;

Does this also affect Sprint's MiFi-type devices, or will unlimited data plans still exist for those?

In November, Sprint plans to launch new Mobile Broadband plans that will deliver industry-leading value. More details will be shared closer to launch.

Wizard

Beginning 11/1/11, current customers with 3G/4G Mobile Broadband plans will be migrated to new plans that combine 3G and 4G usage. In the new plans, 3G and 4G usage will now contribute toward the same data allowance 'bucket'. This change applies to 3G/4G MBB device plans (tabs, hotspot devices, USB Modems, connection cards, netbooks, notebooks, etc).

So yes, the MiFi and Overdrive can be added to this change.  The only thing we don't know at this point is what the new plans are going to look like.

Journeyman

Oh great, I am an independant IT contractor, and I use my mifi alot, a data capped mifi is usless to me, again the overages will kill me...

Master

What I don't understand is with all these questions being posted why has Sprint not made an official announcement, Post, Or news release. It would clear up a lot of confusion. The only reason it's even being discussed at all now is because of a leaked playbook.

Wizard

Bob__G wrote:

Oh great, I am an independant IT contractor, and I use my mifi alot, a data capped mifi is usless to me, again the overages will kill me...

Well there's a chance we will still see an unlimited plan, but unfortunately we wont know until they release these new plans for mobile broadband devices.  Hotspot and Mobile Broadband are two different services and are being affected differently according to the internal documents we've received.

What I don't understand is with all these questions being posted why has Sprint not made an official announcement, Post, Or news release.

Definitely a valid point.  I'm not sure why an official news release hasn't been made yet. I'll see if I can find out more.

Journeyman

Everything that I read indicates that it is for the Mobile Hotspot add-on for Phones and phone as a modem options.  Haven't read anything about mobile broadband cards.  I just got a Overdrive Pro in August.  I like it.  However, I can live without it.

They can't change the plan if you are under contract.....if they do, that is a material change that affects you and you can terminate without any fees.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat