cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the new 5gb combined 3G/4G data cap apply to mobile broadband devices?

Journeyman

I've heard really really bad things about Clear...how is it for you?

Journeyman

I was told by both Sprint and Verizon that mobile broadband is not for streaming movies and continuous music.  It's purpose is for on the go data usage--emails, internet browsing, occasional music downloads, etc.  I use the Clear modem as my home wireless broadband service which is unlimited.  It works good for me because there is a tower a few blocks away.  Make sure that you live near a tower and Clear is great for home usage.  I found that Clear mobile broadband didn't work well because there were too many vacant spots and the connection kept dropping.

Journeyman

Clear throttles high usage users to unusable speeds. Stay away. Just google clear throttling.

Journeyman

In all the years I've been with Sprint no one has ever said what the mobile could or could not be used for. If thats the case they should have said something years ago. I've been doing the same thing with my card for years now. All of a sudden they are going to tell us what we can and can not do with the service? Thats something they should have told people before we signed up and they took our money. If thats what you were told thats a cheap excuse.... thats like someone selling you a car and telling you that you can't drive it on Mondays.... And I know for a fact i've seen spots on TV where they tell you that you can use it for gaming and streaming etc.

Journeyman

Do you have any idea what their cap is before they do that? I use maybe 20/30 gigs a month.

Journeyman

So, for us oldschool people (gettin close to 4 years) that signed up for 3g Mobile Broadband with a USB Modem and got an Unlimited plan back in the day... are we pretty much being told "Oh well.  Too bad no more unlimited for you"?  Will I have an option to terminate the new contract I signed ~3 months ago when I had to replace my dying modem without the $200 ETF?  If I'm gonna be capped I'm going to VZW.

Journeyman

They just confirmed that the cap applies to the Overdrive 3g/4g hotspot. Had my service cancelled at the end of the current billing period. Moving to your sub-contractor, Clearwire, who is still unlimited.

You could have handled this better. The least you could have done is honored the contracts you already entered into. I would have at least stayed until the end of my contract if you had done that. Oh well. Goodbye Sprint.

Journeyman

I cancelled my account last week and switched to Verizon where the speed and reliability of 4G LTE is faster and more dependable than Sprint 4G.  If the amount of bandwidth is going to be capped, I'll go where the data service is better.  I would have stayed with Sprint if they had honored the contract I entered into with them two months ago.

Journeyman jsy
Journeyman

Exactly - if they would just honor their contract at least until my contract was over, I would have stayed with Sprint.  However, they are too occupied with selling the iPhone then to think these things through for their current customers.  13 more days in my billing cycle.  I'm heading towards either Verizon or ATT.

Journeyman

I'm sorry but I am just SHOCKED how they just DON'T CARE at all about this! I'm willing to bet they don't even read this stuff. Anything with a cap I can't use... not that I do all that much but the idea I can't watch a movie on my laptop but some goof can watch a movie on a tiny phone screen is flat out crazy.

Journeyman

And they couldn't careless....sick isn't it?

Journeyman

I have a Dell 11z notebook I got from Sprint 4 months ago.  It has a built-in 3G/4G card.  The software supplied makes it extremely difficult to switch from the Sprint network to WiFi.  I've done it, and it required using three different programs.  Then on the next boot of Windows, it's back to 4G.

My 4G usage so far this month is 13.5GB with six days to go.  This is my main computer.  At the new rates, my bill would jump by about $500 a month!

So  I called, explained and got escalated, explained and got escalated and explained yet again.  I was rather politely told by Shaun to basically go have carnal knowledge with myself, that nowhere in my contract does it say I get 4G coverage, much less unlimited 4G. Thus eliminating unlimited 4G is not a adverse material change to my contract so they're going to add a $350 early termination charge to my bill.

Yes, I cancelled my service on this device.  I'll have to pay the ETF but I guarantee that I'm going to cause Sprint more than $350 in bad publicity.  The fee is certainly cheaper than $10,000 in extra fees over the remaining life of the contract.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat