cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the new 5gb combined 3G/4G data cap apply to mobile broadband devices?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Does the new 5gb combined 3G/4G data cap apply to mobile broadband devices?

Please tell me that the new 5gb combined 3G/4G data cap I am reading about (http://www.goodandevo.net/2011/09/mobile-hotspot-feature-on-htc-evo-to-be-capped-at-5gb-beginning-oc... and http://www.sprintfeed.com/2011/09/sprint-capping-phone-as-a-modem-to-5gb-starting-october-2nd) does not apply to mobile broadband devices? ( I have a MiFi 4082)

90 REPLIES 90
Highlighted
Journeyman

halcyoncmdr123 wrote:

The Mobile Hotspot changes to the 5GB limit are effective 10/2/11.

Beginning 11/1/11 Mobile Broadband data allowances across the board are going to pull from the same "bucket" of data, regardless if it is 3G or 4G usage. This includes the Mobile Broadband card/routers like the USB cards and the MiFi/Overdrive devices. Existing customers will be notified via bill messages or postcards being sent in October and November to provide a 30 day notice and the change will take effect on the first day of their next billing cycle after the notice is sent.

So in the end ALL mobile broadband services will be pulling from a bucket of data allowance monthly, no matter what type of device is connecting (USB broadband card, MiFi, Overdrive, embedded chip like in a Netbook). The only exception is on-phone usage, like within the web browser on the phone, Facebook, etc. type applications.

If what you are saying is accurate, Sprint will force customers into a new plan mid-contract, then Sprint will lose a ton of customers. I don't understand how or why Sprint thinks it's acceptable to treat their customers this way. For most customers the only reason they use Sprint's service is because of the Unlimited to Low Cost value, changing to a capped (and possibly higher rate) will only push customers to other carriers that sell higher quality devices and services.

Overage Charges = $50.00 per GB!! Ridiculous.

Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

_D4V1D_ wrote:

Bob__G wrote:

Oh great, I am an independant IT contractor, and I use my mifi alot, a data capped mifi is usless to me, again the overages will kill me...

Well there's a chance we will still see an unlimited plan, but unfortunately we wont know until they release these new plans for mobile broadband devices.  Hotspot and Mobile Broadband are two different services and are being affected differently according to the internal documents we've received.

Frankly all this talk about 3G/4G pulling from the same "bucket" is really not much info to those who use their mobile broadband devices strictly on 4G which was always unlimited.  Why not just say that there will no longer be any differentiation between 3G and 4G data on the mobile broadband devices.  The term "bucket" implies that there will be a limit imposed.  Oh, well - good luck to Sprint with that and the iPhone 4S which I hope brings in more customers than you will lose.  I already have accounts at AT&T and Verizon but went to Sprint for the mobile broadband option earlier this year because of the unlimited 4G data.  I see my relationship with Sprint to be a short one.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've contact Sprint via chat and phone support, and it seems Customer Service is in the dark about the whole 3G/4G Broadband change. Most seem to be reading answers to my questions via a Knowledge Base of some sort as not one seemed confident in the answers they were giving me.

I learned of my 3G/4G Broadband data change via my Sprint Bill that was emailed to me today. I really could care less about the changes Sprint is making in an attempt to accomadate the Apple iPhone users. What I do care about is, does this change constitute a contractual agreement change on Sprint's end and will Sprint offer current users under contract a way out of the agreement with no fees. As soon as I get verification on this contractual change matter from someone who represents Sprint, I'll post it here.

In the meantime, visit: http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Mobile_Broadband_Plan_and_Mobile_Hotspot_Addon_Changes_sta... to learn how your Unlimited 4G Data Broadband change will affect you.

I have a Sprint USB 3G/4G Broadband card w/ 3G capped at 5GIGS of data per month while 4G is Unlimited. From the chart, 3G and 4G will both be capped at 5GIGS of data per month.

Below is one of the Chat Sessions I had with Customer Support. The other Chat Sessions and Phone Support session followed similar responses by Sprint Personell. I was asked to call Account Services, but when I do, the wait is long. So we are not the only ones who are calling about the same issues.

Roxanna S.: Thank you for your patience, I will have the information shortly.
Roxanna S.: While I access your account information, can you please provide more details about why you’re chatting with us today?
You: Question about my changes to my Broadband 3G/4G data cap to take effect next month.
Roxanna S.: Thank you for the information.
Roxanna S.: Allow me a few moments.
You: Sure
Roxanna S.: Thank you for waiting.
Roxanna S.: Effective 10/2/11, Broadband 3G/4G connection card plan has a 5GB on-network data allowance with a $0.05/MB overage rate.
You: So effective next month, my 4G connection will no longer be unlimited?
Roxanna S.: Yes. Effective 10/2/11 4G connection will no longer be unlimited.
Roxanna S.: There will be a Limit of 5GB
You: Wouldn't this change be considered a "material contractual change" allowing current Sprint users out of their contracts without fees?
Roxanna S.: No.
You: Why would this not be a change of contract?
Roxanna S.: This is for all our new and existing customers. If line is canceled before the satisfaction date account will be charged for Early Termination Fee.
You: You didn't answer my question.
You: Sprint is changing the terms of my current 3G/4G Broadband Card contract. Why wouldn't there be a way out of the contract if the orginal agreement has been changed on Sprints end?
Roxanna S.: Allow me a few moments.
You: Sure
Roxanna S.: I am sorry for the inconvenience. I can understand that. However, you need to contact our Account Services team at 1-888-211-4727 in this regard. They will provide you the best possible option.
You: Thank you!
Roxanna S.: You're welcome.
Roxanna S.: Have a great day ahead.
Roxanna S.: Take Care.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Again, W.T.F.!!! Why the heII should I pay $59.99 for my MiFi data plan, when it will have the same caps as my $29.99 charge for the mobile hoptspot app on my Evo!!! W...T...F!!!!!!! I just got my MiFi 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot back in April (20111), Im stuck with this plan until 2013, how much is the ETF?

<<<< Bob, the P.i.s.s.e.d. off Sprint user of 10+ years (and 8ish years of that have been multi-phone family plans!!!)>>>>

Highlighted
Journeyman

All Sprint Chat does is refer people to account services. There is very little thay can actually do except look at your account. I'm pretty sure they'll have to let you go without an ETF because of this change. I would escalate, escalate, and escalate again until I got the "right" answer. Emails are the most effective method of communicating with Sprint. PM me if you need a list of email address.

It's obvious that the only reason Sprint is impossing this 4G limit is to increase revenue by way of overage charges, which will be $50 a GB!!!  It's totally ridiculous that they sell this "blazing fast -- look at all that you can do -- service" and then limit how much you can actually use.

Highlighted
Journeyman

As of today (could change at anytime) Clearwire's 4G is still unlimited - and cheaper than Sprint's. It's also Month to Month if you purchase the device.

Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

Well, your link says it all.  I have the 3GB/3G - Unlimited/4G plan for my Overdrive and your link clearly states that this will convert to a 3GB overall plan.  So instead of following the other providers in grandfathering accounts at least, Sprint has decided to alienate those very customers that helped to keep it afloat.  So as the successful companies zig, Sprint continues to zag.  Since I already have phone service with ATT and Verizon, there really is no point in continuing my broadband plan with Sprint (especially since I was here only for the unlimited portion). 

Enjoy your party with the iPhone4GS.  I hope you get more subscribers than you will lose.  I doubt it.

I'm gone after November.  You can try to force the ETF on me, but I won't pay it nor will my credit card company - not for terms that you changed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

They are trying to get me to pay the etf. I tried explaining that mobile hotspot users can just remove mobile hotspot from plans. Mobile broadband users with sprint overdrives and mifis its the while device and should be allowed to opt out. I specially got the overdrive after sprints ceo made the comment about staying unlimited when everyone else is not. 

We are just getting screwed because they need more data for the influx of iphone users.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Any more information? Has anyone got out of contract without etf?

Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

I haven't tried yet as I want this cycle to pass but I would be more than happy to stay on my contract if they continued to offer my unlimited plan.  However, when it gets converted to a 3GB plan, the amount of data that I use will no longer allow me to afford the plan due to overages.  There are going to be problems if they require me to pay an EFT when they no longer offer a plan that I can afford. 

Okay, I'm exagerrating the affording part - but this is a legit concern for some people.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I use my overdrive at home. With my current usage of 40 gb a month no way I can afford it. Yes my 40gb is extreme but hey they offered me unlimited when I signed up. If they don't want to honor that let me out of contract and let's part ways.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just so you know you only have 30 days from a notification of a contract change to dispute it not to pay a etf.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat