cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dormant Connections

Highlighted
Journeyman

Dormant Connections

Does sprint broadband cards eventually go "Dormant" after so long of inactivity?  The reason I ask is we have laptops that need to stay constantly connected to sprint because we use VNC to remote into them.  It seems after two days or more of no internet activity on the computer, we can no longer connect the the machines.  Then after someone opens Internet Explorer and goes to a website, we can then connect fine.

Any thoughts?

11 REPLIES 11
Sprint Employee

Re: Dormant Connections

Hello Chrismb06, It may be cause by the cellsite ending the connection after seeing no activity for an extended time, or lease expiry of the IP address, to keep the connection alive/active, or to determine if this is the cause you should consider maybe running a batch to ping a hostname from time to time.

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

Our IPs are static.  Is there a standard on when a cellsite would disconnect the client?  ex, after 24 hours of no activity?

Also, does this affect 3g service as well as 4g, or just 3g?

Sprint Employee

Both 3G, and 4G technologies can enter a state of dormancy for a few reasons, and there is not a “standard” timeframe in every situation. I usually see about 24-36 hours of dormancy before the connection is disconnected. What's your setup of each of these laptops?

Journeyman

The laptops are constantly connected to the sprint 3g network.  At 4pm, a script is set to run that connects a vpn, then runs a exe that syncs the software.  The script goes by:

rasdial.exe "Connection Name"

C:\Program Location\program.exe

rasdial.exe "Connection Name" /disconnect

But if the connection is dormant, then it seems the rasdial won't connect.  Should the rasdial wake the connect and remove it from a dormancy mode?  Or does it make sense that it can't connect?

Sprint Employee

Which connection devices do you use, in the computer which version of Sprint Smartview is installed, and you dialing with your connection, or a connection which was created by sprint smartview. Have you looked in the admin logs to see if there's been a RAS error reported, like 633, 678, Etc.. Which version/edition/SP of windows are you using have you changed the settings for auto connect(internet options>connections), or for auto dial (RAS prefs)? does your VPN require that it dials out, or can it us an existing connection?

Journeyman

SprintSmartView 2.61.0038.0    And we use the SprintSmartView to establish the connection.  In the logs we get some failures for the ras that it couldn't connect to the server, but we know its not on the vpn server side because we have multipule users using it. 

Windows 7 x64 SP1.  None of the preferences were changed.  We know the connection for the VPN is fine because when you first start the sprintsmartview at say.. 10AM, the vpn connection works fine at 4pm and everything syncs.  But maybe after 3 or 4 days with no other internet activity, the vpn connections stop connecting and the software doesn't sync.  And the sprintsmartview displays dormant on it. 

Should the rasdial.exe command trying to connect knock the sprint card out of the "dormant" mode?

Sprint Employee

Hello Chrismb06, thank you for the additional info, I was wondering which connection device you use in the computers so I'd have a better idea of which options will be available for us.

Journeyman

598U

Sprint Employee

Something that you may want to try is build a new connectoid to dial #777, using the 598U, and on options tab make use it's set to not request username/password/phone number. set it to disconnect after idle for 20 minutes. after creating the connection tyr connecting to ensure it is a viable connection. once tested go to network & sharing > change adaptor settings > advanced > remote access prefs, and enable auto dial by location (you may need to go to phone and modem options to specify an area code) This should cause computer to autonomously establish a connection if a network connection is not present, and TCP/IP requests are made. Then adjust your script to not dial, and leave Sprint Smart view closed. please let me know if this helps.

Journeyman

Is there a way to control this within the sprint smart view?  Anyway to make it anti-dormant?  We did some more testing, and it seems Friday when we left at 4pm, they were syncing fine.  Then on saturday only two of them synced again at 430, then none of them synced sunday or today.  I'm guessing this is because the connections are sitting at that "connected but dormant".  We originally tried this process by setting it up how you stated above, but we ran into issues with the connection manager saying its connected but not really connected, and just issues related to windows.

Would a script that pings google.com every four hours work to help resolve this?  Do you think that would help keep the connection alive by sending a ping?

Sprint Employee

From what I've been told, these devices, being designed as mobile devices, weren't really designed to be used 24/7 & always connected. I do believe running a batch to ping a hostname from time to time may avoid the problem that you've experienced. the other method I'd suggested would be to go without our connection manager Smartview, and use windows to establish the connections on demand.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat