cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 678. The remote computer did not respond

Journeyman

Error 678. The remote computer did not respond

Hi - I just installed the Sprint Connection Manager (the most recent download), restarted my computer and hooked up my laptop to my Pearl 8130 - when I tried to 'connect' to the Mobile Broadband network, I get the Error 678 message (the remote computer did not respond). I have no idea where to go with this issue, but i need to utilize my Phone As Modem feature. Please help.

BTW - i'm using XP, SP2 and the machine is in tip-top shape.

14 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Error 678. The remote computer did not respond

Can mean either the Phone as Modem plan is not provisioned correctly, the dial up connection is corrupted, or the devices Phone as Modem information is incorrect.

Dial up connection is corrupt:

1. Delete the Sprint PCS Vision connection created by Connection Manager.
  2. On the next connection attempt it should be recreated.

tri they, if its not it.

Phone as Modem plan is not provisioned:

Phone as modem settings wrong on the device:

1. Phone as Modem requires 4.1 version of software

Highlighted
Journeyman

ok, I tried to find where i could delete the the Sprint PCS Vision connection created by Connection Manager, but could not find this option. I even went to Add/Remove programs, and thought I might be prompted to modify instead of delete - but alas, i could only delete teh Sprint Connection Manager. So please, how do i perform this action (after I re-install it)?

2. On the next connection attempt it should be recreated.

You also said that if the above isn't the problem, that my Phone as Modem plan is therefore not provisionedSmiley Tonguehone as modem settings wrong on the device: 1. Phone as Modem requires 4.1 version of software. My software running is 4.3. I use a BB Pearl 8130 on the Sprint Network and can't find where I have access to PAM at all.

Journeyman

and you have a 39.99 or more bb package?

Journeyman

Yes. I have the Blackberry Unlimited DP.

Journeyman

if it is the $30

BlackBerry Power Vision Data Pack this doesn't include PAM

p.s. the connection should show up in control panel, network conenction

Message Edited by Kris CS on 02-15-2008 12:57 PM

Journeyman

You're right. I just checked and they defaulted me to the $30 plan when i got the phone last week. i was supposed to get the PAM feature. Wonder if that's an extra $15/month - or one time fee. Thanks for your help.

Journeyman

Im having the same trouble connecting I get a msg error #777 the remote computer did not respond Im using a gatway laptop my broadband card is the Ovation U720. But her is the ringer it works on my Mac Osx Leopard but not the Vista??? Plz Help

Journeyman

I have the same problem with a PC-5740 card (error #678). This is not a new installation. I have had the plan, modem, etc. for over a year. The software installation is not new either. It has worked well for over a year.

Laptop: Sony V1A0 running Windows XP Pro SP 2

Additional information: I set up my Bluetooth yesterday to receive files from my cell phone. The PC-5740 worked before that. It did not work after that.

Could the Bluetooth setup have messed something up?

Based on advise above, I deleted the Sprint PCS Visions - UTStarcom. It came back after a reboot, reinserting the card, and restarting the Sprint PCS Connection Manager (v. 3.01.040).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Journeyman

Problem solved (at least for me): It turns out that our telecommunications department (large university) lost information on 15 or so cell modem lines and could not figure out whom to bill for theml. To find out to whom the lines belonged, they contacted Sprint and had them suspend the lines. (The stuff about messing with Bluetooth yesterday turns out to be completely coincidental.)

Community News

Having trouble posting or viewing your Private Messages? We made an update to the Community registration process which requires you to validate your email, click here to read more about it.