cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exterior Antenna for Sprint Broadband Coverage

Journeyman

Exterior Antenna for Sprint Broadband Coverage

Purchased a dell computer with a internal sprint broadband card in it - activated it and we have very low reception - we would like to know what kind of exterior antenna or repeater we should purchase to receive a better signal.

7 REPLIES 7
Journeyman

Re: Exterior Antenna for Sprint Broadband Coverage

Might be a bit pricey, but a repeater system might do best for your setup since it's internal.

http://3gstore.com/

I think they will have something that'll work to your advantage.

Sprint Product Ambassador

3GStore.com is the place for EVDO products - amps, repeaters, external antennas, etc.

What you need to do:

*  Do you have a place to mount an external antenna?  If yes, then you can get a yagi antenna and point it at the nearest tower.

*  If you don't want to put an antenna on your house, then you can  get an active signal booster.

You  should also check out the folks at http://www.evdoforums.com/ - they have the experts on boosting EVDO data signals for your laptop.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

I'm so new to this I squeek so be kind. I'm in "one of those areaa". I have a Sprint usb727 and get 1 to 3 bars and on occasion slip out of DOrA. My local store knows about as much about antennas as I do. So I found this form and started reading. The Yagi looks like something I'm willing to pay for but I have some questions.

Do I have to have line of sight to the tower? I'm on the other side of a hill from the local tower and suspect that's why I get poor reception to begin with.

In a sitiuation where you are in a "signal shadow" will an amp and antenna do better thanjust an antenna?

Journeyman

I have a Pantech PX 500 card and recently got a truckers antenna from the 3 g store it is 32 feet long and has about a 12 -15 foot cable and an adapter for the air card. it increased my signal when we were camping in georgia mountains from -97dbms to -71dbms (the lower the better) I did not get an amplifier. I thought I would test out the straight antenna first. The Yagi are great if you are sure of your direction but I am not that percise so got the omni directional In Georgia we went from having no service to having slow service at this campground. turned out that there was only 1x available in the area anyway.

I know many who have disabled internal wifi cards and bought pc or express slot cards just so they could attach an external antenna. I would think you would get a better signal with an external air card and an antenna even with the hill in the way get it up there as high as you can. Most service providers give you a card if you sign up for the 2 year contract if you didnt get the card i would go ask for one for free and try it. you can disable the internal one. Good luck

Madmaven

Journeyman

The usb727 is external. Unfortunately the store in my area will not loan out wireless DSL cards. My house has a TV antenna on it which I no longer use but it has a directional motor on it so I'm thinking of mounting it on the mast and removing the old TV antenna. Hopefully I'll not have to add in a amplifier.

Journeyman

I found these guys who have antennas for all of the Sprint mobile broadband devices http://www.usantennashop.com/sprint

I havn't seen them before but they were very helpful

Highlighted
Journeyman

That site will cost you a small fortune and they have no selection. Try here http://www.rfwel.com/shop/Antennas-c-179/

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat