cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extra charge for 4G usage?

Journeyman

Extra charge for 4G usage?

I just upgraded from a 3G usb wireless broadband card to the 3G/4G Overdrive device. When I changed connection preferences from 3G Preferred to 4G Preferred, I get a new Sprint page asking if I want to "Test Drive 4G for a day" for $9.99. When I purchased the device, I was not told there was an additional charge to use a 4G connection. Is this a mistake? What's going on?

Maury

9 REPLIES 9
Master

Re: Extra charge for 4G usage?

It sounds like you are set up on this plan; Mobile Broadband Connection Plan - 3G $59.99 5gb max cap

Not this one; Mobile Broadband Connection Plan - 3G/4G - $59.99 - 4G unlimited/3G 5gb max cap.

You may want to call in to see what plan you have.

Why they have it set up this way is beyond me, They both cost the same.

Message was edited by: Levi4u

Journeyman

Thanks Levi4u,

I'll call and see if I can straighten this out when I get to work.

Message was edited by: malamin

Journeyman

Called Customer Service and my 4G Usage kicks in Feb 1, when the new billing period starts. Otherwise they claim they would have to charge me twice 1. Previous 3G plan 2. New 4G plan.    

Go figure

Master

That is Sprint trying to protect us from ourselves again, They don't want you confused(or calling in) when your bill shows a prorated charge for switching plans in the middle of a billing cycle. They usually give you the choice of when you wish it to take effect(now or when billing cycle ends) I would call back in and state you wish it to be turned on now if that is what you want. Explain to them you understand that you will have a prorated charge for the 3g service you had for the first half of the month. But would like to take advantage of the 4g you contracted for now.

Master

Unless you request it most reps will start the new plan on the next billing cycle to prevent proration and calls into Care. Proration tends to be difficult to grasp for many people from my experience (and probably most reps) so we try and minimize it as much as possible.

In your case both plans are hte same price, so proration will be pretty much non existant, but your bill is going to look weird, so keep that in mind.

At the moment definitely sign up for the $59.99 3G/4G  plan, it is a promotional price. Normally the plan is $69.99 but it is lowered right now for the launch of the Overdrive. As long as you sign up for it now while it is available you have it locked in at that price.

Journeyman

Thanks all.

I called Customer Service back and got the 3G/4G plan prorated for the remainder of the month. Thanks for the help/feedback!

Journeyman

$59.99 a month for 3G/4G is a promotional price because the OverDrive 3G/4G doesn't work -at least in Seattle. You're really only getting 3G like before. Just bought OverDrive yesterday, "upgraded" my service and coouldn't get it to work on 4G (only in 3G).  After 3 long sessions with tech support, who kep saying that the problem is with my computer and web browser (okay so how does my web browser know to work under 3G and not under 4G???)... Anyway, I go "repair" at the Seattle Sprint Store and the technician tells me that there's nothing he can do.  There is a "known problem" with the Overdrive device, that it does NOT do 4G.

Don't get me started on why they sold me the device if it was a "known problem"; but I ask how long before a fix and where do i go to find out the status... no one could give me any kind of answer.  I wanted a refund right there but then they wanted to charge me the $200 early termination fee.

After several years as a Sprint customer, I now hate Sprint and by association, I hate Sierra Wireless for putting out junk for products.  They just scammed me out of a lot of money and will be doing so for two more years.

Scammed in Seattle

Journeyman

I bought my Overdrive from Amazon last week.  It arrived yesterday & I've been having issues connecting to 4g as well.  My first issue was my plan was only configured for 3g.  I'm not sure if this was because I bought the device from Amazon, but a call into Sprint customer support had this fixed quickly.  However, after my account was updated, I still couldn't access 4g.  I was transferred to tech support & was told that there are 10 towers in the Seattle area that are causing an outage.  He stated the outage started 18 hours ago, but saw nothing in the notes about when it will be resolved.  This seems like an extremely long time for such a large outage.

Update - I just got off the phone with sprint to find out about the outage.  It turns out that I was misinformed when I called in yesterday.  The 4g outage has been going on in the Seattle area for at least a week.  Sprint support confirmed today that the last update they have on the outage is from 1/13 (7 days ago).  If this is their last update, I have no idea when it actually started.  Since there's no current infomation regarding the outage, I was told that I should just keeping calling back every 2-3 days.

Message was edited by: pdicola

Highlighted
Journeyman

i originally signed on for the 3G/4G here in Chicago--the 4G is supposed to be free. pretty sure it is.

but when i check on occasion, i find that the service has dropped down to 3G. service/connection is not as rock solid as i had hoped--i think they are still ironing out 4G bugs.

and when i do get 4G, it is usually only at 20%. the highest percentage i've gotten is 60%.

i use it to connect an Ipod Touch and Archos 5 when on the go. my Touch does not seem to like the Overdrive as much as my Archos. it won't let me access the Overdrive homepage correctly and it takes much longer to get my email (than my 3G MiFi unit did). it does seem to be speedy though in terms of loading pages and video (on my Archos anyway).

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat