cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOTSPOT 3G/4G USB CONNECTOR LOOSE FROM BOARD

Patron

HOTSPOT 3G/4G USB CONNECTOR LOOSE FROM BOARD

Anyone had a problem with the usb connector on the Overdrive Hotspot 3

G/4G coming loose from the board.  Mine is 2 months old and wating for a replacement.

14 REPLIES 14
Journeyman

Re: HOTSPOT 3G/4G USB CONNECTOR LOOSE FROM BOARD

I sure have. Sprints position seems to be that it is NOT a defect, but is abuse.  Meaning the warranty does not cover it.  It appears to be a mechanical defect.  Sprint does not want to hear that.  The party line is that if anything mechanical breaks, it has to be from abuse.  My hotspot is less than 2 months old.  Note that this is my 3rd hotspot as the first 2 were defective.

Journeyman

I have had mine less than thirty days I unplugged it to do a battery pull and reboot and when I plugged it back in it didn't feel right.  After some normal use the battery died and I noticed it wouldn't take a charge.  Unplugged it to inspect and the USB port was loose and moved around.  No abuse here either the Overdrive has been sitting in the same spot on my shelf since I got it.  I am going out of town this week and now will be without internet access unless I can get them to exchange it at the store.  Bummer.

Journeyman

HI I have an overdrive HOTSPOT (black one) I just bought 32 days ago - but the battery and case back flew off at the airport (running to a gate) and Sprint will not take it back without the battery. I will sell to you for $150.00 - 50% off-  and Its brand new- I canceled my data service- but stuck with 1/2 of an overdrive. PS; they do not sell battery replacement or parts for this. - let me know. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  BY THE WAY- the CUSTOMER service was SUPER RUDE! - and could care less.

[removed personal email]

Message was edited by: dshoem01

Journeyman

YESSS!!!! i hate sprint. i hate this stupid device. the manufacturing is terrible. i've had mine for two months! what a joke! we got ripped off.

Journeyman

Yep-- I just had ANOTHER replaced for this issue.  My first one was replaced about a month ago for the same problem-- the micro-usb connector begins to loosen, then ends up disconnecting from the board.

No abuse here, either-- nor a scratch on it.  

Journeyman

Had my overdrive for about 7months, removed the cable about a dozen times. Well couple days ago the SURFACE MOUNT CONNECTOR came off with the cable. What a lame design. My cell phone mounts the micro usb shell to the case to be secure.

Sprint says go to Sierra, well their website is a joke, along with talking to someone in India. You get a reference, then wait for a email.

If not fixed by next week I'm buying a Verizon unit.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have had my overdrive less than 4 months. It has overheated, shut down, locked up and late last week the ICB connctor just detached and lodged inside the unit. It isn't me: I have had numerous laptops, phones, etc and NEVER had a connection come loose. The company's expectation is that I will pay $100 for a replacement unit that will no doubt be just as fine as the original. The customer service guy even told me these are all "known issues". WHY should I PAY for their known issues (AKA defective product)? Where is company integrity? If you bought a laptop, and the connectors fell out in 3 months, what do you suppose would happen?  I hate to buy out my contract, but I don't know that I want to pay $100 for more of the same garbage. The sad part of all of this is that when it WAS working, it was great. I am really wondering what I need it for anyway, when I can get email and exchange documents on my phone. I think this is a luxury item I might not need after all. I can always go to a free Wifi spot, too.

Journeyman

yes, very common problem.  If one were to pen up the overdrive unit, after this has occurred, it will be no suprise why it happened.  With the weight and stress of the power cord, or usb cord, and the amount of heat generated when the device is in use, the prongs connecting the Charger port to the circuit board simply FAIL.  This is a design flaw, undoubtedly.  Yes, a Sprint Store, or phone tech, will claim its physical damage, but clearly this port is underspecced in it's mount to the board.  I have successfully managed to micro solder the port back onto what is left of the original prongs, and bought some time, but this is no picnic.  16 years with SPrint, and I'm told that I'm a "Premiere cutsomer", but the same old bs when it comes to backing up what they spend millions advertising.  Were it feasible, a class action suit would definitely be in order here, as anyone with any semblance of knowledge of elctronics would agree that the device is inadequate and problematic.

Journeyman

Well after spending $75 to ship it up to Sierra's repair in Canada, they shipped me a new one.

Now I'm using cable ties to help take some of the stress of the cable off the connector.

Lame way to go though.

New sprint/novatel mifi 4G due out Feb27. I'm going to change over to it if it looks more reliable.

Plus I can't stand the freakin button turn-on on this Sierra unit.

Should have been a simple software fix.

Journeyman

I have had this same problem 3 times and sprint told me all 3 times that this was not a known issue obviously I was lied to. They told me since this was not a known issue I had to go through assurion and I paid 2 $100 deductables. This last time it happened instead of paying for it again i called sierra wireless myself and told them the whole story and they said i should not have had to pay for a replacement they should have just swapped it out instead. Sprint reasoning for everything though is that this was not a known issue. They are so full of it. They love to get over on people.

Journeyman

Yep, my new replacement lasted up til last week. Yes the USB connector BROKE again.

Sierra has the overdrive "PRO" out now, want to see if they fixed this obvious defect.

Tried two stores, and they don't have them yet.

Also the 4g novatel mifi is out now; which I'll probably go with since can't trust Sierra.

Would just drop Sprint altogether and go to Verizon since they at least have LTE in San Diego, but not in Carlsbad yet.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat