cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone successfully installed Sprint SmartView on a MacBook Air Intel core i5 running OS Lion?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Has anyone successfully installed Sprint SmartView on a MacBook Air Intel core i5 running OS Lion?

I cannot get it to take.  This is what happens & I've tried it over & over:

Install Sprint Smartview 2.50.0097.0

Many things happen and it appears to install.  After I click the GPS consent button it says:

The Installation was successful.

The software was installed.

Click Restart to finish installing the software

[Restart]

After about a 20 second delay, the machine reboots, the login screen appears, logging in results in a folder opening with 4 icons (readme.html,

Release_Notes.txt, Sprint SmartView (program icon), and Sprint SmartView Uninstaller (program icon).  A message window exclaims:

Incomplete Install

The installer has not yet been run on this machine.  Continuing may result in incorrect behavior.  Please quit and run the installer.

[Quit]

and around & around she goes... :-p

Anyone know if Sprint is planning to update their driver software?

7 REPLIES 7

MASCOTMATT,

The most current version that you want to run on you mac should be 2.60.0027.  You can attain this software free at www.sprint.com/downloads.  Just select Mobile broadband cards, then select any device and you should have to option to download, one for Windows and one for Mac.

Thanks for the post!

-Ron

http://shop2.sprint.com/en/software_downloads/mobile_broadband/novatel_merlin_cc208.shtml

Sprint SmartView for Mac OS® X – Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard and Lion

Download this software to create a high-speed Internet connection for your Mac anywhere on the Sprint 3G or 4G network with your Mobile Broadband Device.

Sprint SmartView includes:

• One-click activation for supported devices
  • GPS features and services are available at the touch of a button for GPS-capable devices
  • Provides information on signal strength, network type and connectivity details previously unavailable to Mac OS users
  • Ability to set connectivity preferences to auto-connect when device is recognized by Mac

Special Instructions:

• This software does not support Phone-as-Modem handset connections to the Sprint 3G network.

Technical Specifications:
Dated: 08/21/2011
Software Version: 2.60.0027
OS Supported: Mac OS X – 10.4 Tiger, 10.5 Leopard, 10.6 Snow Leopard, and 10.7 Lion
Mac Hardware Supported: Intel-based only (this software version does not support the Power PC hardware)

Journeyman

That was the PC version you referred to. MASCOTMATT asked about a MacBook Air running Lion. The current software for the MAC does not work with Lion. Sprint needs to fix it now - Lion has been available to developers for almost a year (I am a Mac developer), so there is no excuse.

Journeyman

Re: Has anyone successfully installed Sprint SmartView on a MacBook Air Intel core i5 running OS Lion?

[Edit: I got 2.6 to work on my Macintosh; it's a PowerBook Intel Core i7. I was utterly freaking happy when it worked!]

Journeyman

I gave up waiting for Sprint to find the time to support their wireless customers who werent satisfied to remain on obselete laptops.  Clear Wireless provided a cheaper and better solution that works well with Lion as well as Win7 (and the signal sensitivity of the device is much better).  I am letting the old Sprint device and associated account lapse as soon as the contract is fulfilled (it's not soon enough).

Journeyman

Re: Has anyone successfully installed Sprint SmartView on a MacBook Air Intel core i5 running OS Lion?

@Mr Sprintastic:

The Sierra Wireless 250U didn't point me to the 2.6; I had to pretend I had a Novatel device owner instead. The Sierra Wireless 250U option still points to the out-of-date 2.5 software. That's what this customer's problem seems to be.

Please get Sprint to fix the web site so that all 3G/4G cards point to the 2.6 package, please!!!!

@Mascotmatt:

For now, pretend you are a Novatel 3G/4G user instead, and you should be given 2.6 as the SmartView version to download.

Patron

Hello, I had all but given up on finding a solution for the smartware software on my mac. I too had spent hours with sprint tech's and support and finally gave up and got a cradle for my wireless card. I have a few question and hope you might be able to help me. I am using snow leopard 10.6.8 and not lion. I do not wish to change at this point. My first question is, will it work with this OS? the second question is, if I update the smartware will I be stuck always having to plug in my card to my mac? I'm thinking that I won't be able to cradle my card any longer because the system will automatically pick up the smartware software and that will be a conflic  in the system. You see, I would rather use the cradle at home to free up my usb ports but in the road I would love to just plug in my card and be able to use it like it is suppose to be used. after all that is why I went with a card in the first place. Oh, I left this part out. I was told when I first set up my cradle point that I needed to delete the smartware software. Any help would be great. Thanks for solving the big time problem that sprint seemed to have no interest in solving. Great job....

Patron

Let me help you. Dear Mr Sprint, BITE ME! Try actually doing what you suggest and see if it works. IT DOESN'T! Smartview is junk when it comes to Macbooks newer OS's. I had to cradle  (buy more hardware) to make it work. 140 bucks later and it is not mobile anymore. GREAT PRODUCT..... Your post is insulting to us that have spent days trying to get the card to work.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat