cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having problems with Sprint SmartView 2.28 - Event History Manager shows twice as much usage (duplicate entries)

Journeyman

Having problems with Sprint SmartView 2.28 - Event History Manager shows twice as much usage (duplicate entries)

We have the 598U modem and just updated Sprint SmartView to version 2.28.0082.0

Now I've been checking the Event History Manager and every time I disconnect, it shows 2 sessions instead of 1 (the duration on the second one is always a few seconds off)

I've uploaded a screenshot: http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/8168/ssvehm.jpghttp://img651.imageshack.us/img651/8168/ssvehm.jpg

I'm just worried that this might show that we're using twice as much data as we actually are...

Has anyone else had this problem after updating Sprint SmartView?

14 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Having problems with Sprint SmartView 2.28 - Event History Manager shows twice as much usage (duplicate entries)

In November I got a bill for over 500.00 in overage charges because it showed me going over my 5 gb limit. I coundn't figure ut why and they offered a payment plan but basically said I was using too much. I have never gone over before. In dec that same thing was going to happen again. spent over a hour on the phone. They waived the charge because I contacted them before I got billed. I finally noticed the same thing you have happening. I was getting double booked. Jesus from Sprint walked me thru re-installing all my software and it stopped. They are refunding my overage charges. Now I notice yesterday it is doing it again. Now I am going to have to waste a bunch more of my time solving this again.

Journeyman

Re: Having problems with Sprint SmartView 2.28 - Event History Manager shows twice as much usage (duplicate entries)

I have had the same problem.  My broadband usage consists of surfing the web and checking email and that's about it.  No downloading movies, songs, youtube etc...

my usage from from August - November 2009 consisted of about 1.8 to 2.4 GB per month.  I remember the software getting updated a few times at the end of the year and I'm not sure what version I currently have but my last three bills starting in Dec. which was for Nov. usage went up to :

Dec. 4.2 GB

Jan. 5.0 GB

Feb 7.5 GB

I'm not doing any more or less than I always have and couldn't figure out what was going on but this explains a lot.

Would I be better off contacting them now to get the overage fee waived or wait until the billing cycle is over and I have the exact amount for this month or call now.  I would assume call now but when I noticed the usage going out of control I called them a week ago and they said they couldn't do anything until the monthly cycle had ended.  I wasn't sure if I just talked to the wrong person or if that was the case.

On a side note.  I have logged onto my mobile broadband and have been watching the usage very closely over the last 2 weeks and 3 times my usage kept climbing and climbing at an alarming rate even when I wasn't going to a new webpage.  I was reading an email that had no pop-ups or rotating ads just a static page and my usage kept going up about 5 MB a minute.  Then oddly when my usage hit about 315 MB for the session it stopped no matter how many more emails or webpages I went to it didn't move from that 315 MB level.

Has anyone else had this problem of their usage shooting way up then stopping.  I do the same basic thing everytime I log on and usually if the usage monitor is working correctly I use about 15-20 MB for an hour and yes I made sure my computer wasn't getting an update or anything like that.

Also, does anything else know if someone can use your sprint card as a wifi spot while it's plug into your computer or laptop.  I was thinking maybe someone in the neighborhood might be using it and that is causing the useage problem?

Journeyman

Look at the screen capture at the top of this thread. see how it is double logging ? Is yours doing that also ? If it is, take a picture of the screen so you can show it to Sprint. I called the other day because mine is doing it again and they are aware of it. I even emailed the tech guy I was talking to a picture of my screen. He had never seen it before but his supervisor was aware. Let them know now that you will not accept any overage charges. The problem is on their end. They assured me that nobody can log on and use my system from another computer. That was my worry.

Journeyman

I'm not sure how to get to the event history manager.  but i will try and figure it out when I get home.. currently at work and don't have sprint card with me.  I did get a usb router some time ago that I can plug the device into to make a wireless network in my house.  I'm pretty sure it's set up with security and I don't think anyone could be using it, but I stopped using it when I noticed the usage was out of control.  I don't think that was the problem because the part where it would jump up to 315 MB and then stop happened when I put it directly into my computer since then and haven't used the router this month and my usage is still over 7 GB this month (monthly cycle ends today!)  I didn't know if I should call today or wait until the monthy cycle is over tomorrow.

Journeyman

It is easy to find. On your desktop Sprint log on box where you click "connect" to connect, there is a help button just above that, click "help', then click event history manager.

Journeyman

thanks for the help... do you know if the event history manager can show past days or just the current log that your currently doing.  If it can then I was browse those days that I noticed the usage going out of control versus other days when it seemed to be working fine.

I'm afraid that the log won't show double on those one days because the problem seemed to be that the useage kept going up to that certain point even when I wasn't surfing the web or doing anything?  I guess I'll just investigate it later.

Once again thanks for the help

Journeyman

Yes it should show the past days unless you clear the log. Since you haven't been to that page yet you haven't cleared the log.

Journeyman

I have the same problem and Sprint reps are clueless on how to solve the problem.

Journeyman

It is so interesting to find that you all were having these problems, becuase i could not keep up with my bill the last 4 months i was having so many overages.  We were gone 2 weeks on vacation one of the months, and in august i kept it hidden often so that they could not go on the internet.  We still went way over on useage.  Now seeing this makes me think that it wasn't us suddenly using more internet. just as i had first thought.

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.