cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does Sprint reconcile the difference between Overdrive measurement of use and what it bills?

Journeyman

Re: How does Sprint reconcile the difference between Overdrive measurement of use and what it bills?

We used our Sprint Overdrive significantly less during the Mar 20 - Apr 19th cycle than we have for the cycles between Dec-March, and yet we were assessed overages of $135 for almost 3 full GB over!! Not only am I certain we didn't ACTUALLY use our 5 GB, but to say that the month we backed off from using it, and alternated getting online between our dial-up and the Sprint, but gained the greatest overages is crazy.

The other overages from Jan - March were all in the $66-97 range.

- Scott

Journeyman

Re: How does Sprint reconcile the difference between Overdrive measurement of use and what it bills?

Per this comment you made, I have to say I am troubled by the fact that the Overdrive constantly re-sets to a screen reading of 0.0 kb's, since that makes it completely impossible to even try to keep a manual, daily count of your usage from the device itself, to compare to the billing later on.

I suppose you could just go into the Overdrive unit's web page meter page, but the reliabilty of that ("Current Cycle") reading is grossly suspect, as in the adjacent column it shows a LIFETIME usage reading so far below the billing dept.'s total, that it is appalling and funny at the same time.

As of the 20th of April, Sprint's billing shows an account/device LIFETIME usage of 37.74 GBs., and yet for the same date, the Overdrive's Lifteime usage counter indicates lifetime account usage of 9.74 GBs.

WOW. What to make of this? And how can there be this kind of ridiculous discrepancy? FYI, the 9.74 GBs does not correspond to any specific, single billing cycle usage total either.

So, not only is the device's meter inconsistent and grossly under-reported, the billing usage counting program grossly inflates usage totals.

Add this to the 4 - 8 + days delay in ANY updating of your running usage per cycle, but also that there's no evidence or "paper-trail" breakdown of your usage [per session, per day, per user] like Verizon offers for its "My Verizon" usage summaries.

Further, I've noticed that even though Sprint says you can leave the device on and not incur charges -- I have observed this to be false!! They are always quick to claim that well you had more usage than you thought, because your computer was still communicating with the device, and also likely running or accepting Microsoft updates, etc. FALSE! It's possible, but in our case NO. We have auto-updates disabled, and we never leave our computers on. We shut them off per use, so there the Overdrive sits and the KBs keep ticking up and up overnight and during the day when nobody is home.

In Spint's Overdrive manual/user guide, page 117, near bottom, and at Sprint.com (here: http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Know_if_you_are_billed_when_your_Overdrive_3G4G_Mobile_Hot... ) Sprint states:

"The Overdrive's connection to the network goes dormant after a period of inactivity, but the connection can be re-established faster than having to reconnect. Your Overdrive may always be on, but you are only billed when data is passed across the network."

Well, that may have been their intent, but in reality the device is racking up data use even when no computers or network activity is going on in the home.

That is a MAJOR problem.

- Scott S.

When you first browse to the Overdrive, you will see a Home screen that shows a usage figure.  It's not clear what the figure is supposed to represent.  In my case, it comes pretty close to being the correct figure for my current billing cycle. But that figure seems to wobble all over the place, and I don't pay much attention to it.  However, if you click on that line, you will be taken to a screen that shows the purported usage for the current cycle (you can set up the day of the month that periods start elsewhere) and cumulative total usage for all time.  The last figure seems to reset occasionally for no particular reason that I can fathom.

Are you viewing that second screen?  The first view looks like this:

2011-05-13_1221.png

Note that the Overdrive is showing some unexplained usage figure of around 2GB.  If you click on that line, though, this is what you get:

2011-05-13_1223.png

This panel shows a cycle usage of abround 7GB. Totally erroneous, because this value was not reset at the beginning of the cycle. I don't know how to reset just the cycle figure without resetting the Lifetime figure - is that possible?  Anyone?

Journeyman

The 2gb shown in the first picture is a session total, tallied since the device was last reset or powered on.

To reset the current cycle amount only, click reset in that column.

I've been reading alot of the posts regarding erroneous data usage being billed. I've used my device since June of 2010 and the 3g usage reported by the device is exactly what shows under my usage on the sprint website, there has never been a discrepency. Also i am still using the original device that i purchased last june, it has never been replaced or had a factory reset performed.

I'm curious if the users that are being billed for unexpected data overages do not have their wifi security enabled? This would not explain a descrepency between the devices total and Sprints total, but it would explain usage when all of your connected computers are shutdown.

How does Sprint reconcile the difference between Overdrive measurement of use and what it bills?

I do have WiFi security enabled, but if I didn't, why would that explain "... usage when all of your connected computers are shutdown."?

As an update, and in fairness to Sprint:

I have observed no usage reporting anomalies since first week of April.  Further, Sprint has issued a credit for the overbilled portion without a great deal of argument.  I did have to address the issue via online chat, rather than an exchange of emails.

Journeyman

If you did not have security enabled any wifi device can connect to your overdrive and use your data connection. thats wifi 101.

Thanks for the sarcastic comment about wifi 101.  Your previous post, as read, would lead some readers to infer that if security isn't enabled then it's a given that usage would be occurring even when computers are shut down - that's writing 101.

Journeyman

to Been.Jammin,

Yes, many of us were having our Overdrive usage increases with both of the following parameters:

- password protect WAS enabled,

- and, when our computers were shut off, usage still increased [and way beyond the 4-hour maximum Sprint claims to need to fully update the 'My Sprint' usage tally]

Note that I've talked to Sprint reps in the CEO's office and they acknowledged to me that this phantom usage was "...a known issue...".

But they didn't do anything about i ! -- except allow customers like me to keep paying $100's in FALSE overcharges.

EXAMPLE: I had my Overdrive turned off for 9 straight days in April as an experiment, and that whole 9 days the My Sprint account data usage totals kept increasing. In all, for the week it was off (unplugged, turned off, battery removed) Sprint racked up 3+ Gig of use on my account.

And that's not taking into account all of the other unexplained usage that was going on with just mine, from Jan-April. People have been having this go on since last summer of 2010.

UNACCEPTABLE.

Sprint is either grossly incompetent, criminally negligent, and/or guilty of intentional fraud.

- Scott S.

Journeyman

KenneyWarmGlass wrote:

Thanks for the sarcastic comment about wifi 101.  Your previous post, as read, would lead some readers to infer that if security isn't enabled then it's a given that usage would be occurring even when computers are shut down - that's writing 101.

You're welcome, I do sarcasm well when necessary. I thought that having security enabled was a pretty basic concept. Your question, as read, implies that you did not understand how data could be used when a computer was shutdown.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat