cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm clueless. (Need help)

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm clueless. (Need help)

Hi, I'm very new to mobile broadband and would like some help from someone, anyone.

It's very, very, very slow. I'm posting a screenshot of the application, if anyone has any pointers on how to fix it, please share.

Thanks! (It took 5 minutes just to upload this screenshot to Imageshack...)

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/5981/sprintsmartviewproblems.png

Message Edited by dvdlost on 03-13-2009 07:43 PM
PS: More examples of slow slow connection would be: Slow loading time for web sites, inability to play any games online, slow download speeds.
Message Edited by dvdlost on 03-13-2009 07:45 PM
Message Edited by dvdlost on 03-14-2009 03:02 AM

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Master

Re: I'm clueless. (Need help)

According to that you are well within good coverage and connected to an EvDO Rev. A tower on top of that. So your speeds should be good. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the tower is overloaded with people using it for voice/data and it is causing a slowdown, or that it is some configuration error on your computer itself. Unfortunately I don't have much advice really.

Only thing I can really recommend is doing a speedtest at either DSLReports.com or at Speedtest.net
. That way we can get a good number of what is "slow" that we can compare.

Highlighted
Master

According to that image it looks like you're getting 1096 kb/s download and 151 kb/s upload.

The EvDO Rev. A theoretical limits are 3.1 Mb/s down and 1.8 Mb/s up. More realistic real world speeds are around 1.5 Mb/s down and 500 kb/s up. Both of your rates are a little low but are well within regular parameters for a tower network, and quite a bit faster than a 56 kb/s dial-up modem. So according to the speed test your speeds are fairly normal, a bit low but not much to make a huge difference like you are explaining.

Have you tried using other browsers? Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, Chrome to see if it may be the browser? Tried the card in a different computer? Different location on a different tower?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've tried it in desktop, works the same. It is better at work. (Nashville)

Are there any ways to mazimize the signal? Is there anyway to focus the bandwidth to a certain task? Is there anything I can do to help it?

Sorry for the somewhat retarded questions, but I have no idea how this even works. Computers and internet are not my thing. Thanks for the time though.

Highlighted
Master

Don't worry about the questions. 🙂

As far as maximizing the signal, the higher you can keep the actual device usually the better, so using the mounting bracket that it probably came with (assuming you got a USB one) and the USB extension can help, not usually a lot but it might. You could get an external antenna, all of the broadband devices have external antenna ports on them, but that will reduce the portability while you are using it.

Focusing the bandwidth not so much. Some software firewalls let you adjust bandwidth to certain programs and processes, but it really isn't necessary unless you are doing a lot of torrent/p2p type of stuff. Regular surfing won't really be inhibited unless you are doing a lot of downloading/uploading.

The main cause for speed decreases are signal loss and tower performance. So if you are in a low signal area you will have lower speeds. If you are using a tower that happens to have a lot of traffic on it, say in a densely populated area with traffic and such then the constant transfers from tower to tower for other phones and broadband cards will be taking up overhead that otherwise would be used for your speeds. So its hard to say what will/won't work in any given situation. This is why some days you can have fantastic speeds in one area and others abysmal peeds, it just depends.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat