cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideas? Compass 597 "not detected" but works for WIFI

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ideas? Compass 597 "not detected" but works for WIFI

Sierra compass 597... works great on my other laptops, but not my HP Pavilion Entertainment Notebook w Vista. Was working in 1xrtt but was slow, so I upgraded to latest Smartview and now get EVDO, but the device disconnects shortly thereafter and then mobile network not available again (even though WIFI is available through the card). Reboot solves for short period of time. Help any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6
Master

Re: Ideas? Compass 597 "not detected" but works for WIFI

The Compass 597 does not have WiFi built in. The SmartView software allows you to access WiFi through its interface though for simplicity. That way both WiFi and the Mobile Broadband card use the same application and you don't have to use two separate apps to provide similar functionality.

My first recommendation is to do a full clean isntallation of the SmartView software. This should also remove the drivers it installs as well. Make sure you download the latest version from www.sprint.com/downloads before you remove the old software.

To fully remove Smartview, unplug the mobile broadband card, go through the un-installation process from "Add/Remove Programs" (XP) or "Programs and Features" (Vista/7), then restart the computer. In Windows Explorer navigate to "C:\Program Files\" and remove any folder named Sierra, Novatel, Sprint, SmartView, TRU-Install, etc. then restart the computer again. If you are running a 64-bit version of Vista or Windows 7 make sure to check "C:\Program Files (x86)\" as well to make sure all of the files are gone. While the device is not plugged in, install the latest Sprint SmartView software from http://www.sprint.com/downloads/ and afterwards restart your computer. Once it is back up and running. plug in the device and let Windows associate the drivers the software previously installed. After you get the little message saying "Your Hardware has been installed successfully" open up SmartView and click connect. Depending on your computer this can take a long time to do. I have had systems take upwards of 30 minutes to install and associate the drivers for some reason, others take only 30 seconds, every computer is unique.

The entire process could take an hour or so depending on how fast your computer is. My desktop here running an Intel Core i7 and 6GB RAM does it all in about 15 minutes, my laptop running an Intel Core 2 Duo and 4GB RAM does it in about 30 minutes. Depending on what else you have running in the background and your computer specs it can take a while to fully uninstall and perform a clean installation again.

A Clean install fixes issues about 99% of the time from my experience, not just with SmartView but just about any piece of software. If you are still having issues see if there is a specific error message displayed, and if so copy it down verbatim, or take a screenshot for us to take a look at. Hopefully we can figure out what is erroring out if a clean install doesn't work.

Journeyman

Very nice detailed answer.  However, I have tried that process several times plus other things that customer service had me do.  I guess I'm just in that unfortunate 1%.  Technical support and customer service doesn't seem to have any other ideas.

Master

have you tried other USB ports (no USB hubs), making sure to allow for Vista's delay (up to 5mins) before determining it's not working? also, have you tested this card on an alternate computer? if it does the same thing, it's typically the card. sometimes these USB devices get bumped or flexed while in the port which can cause issues like not being detected or an even more frustrating one is card connects fine but will not surf. if you're plugging the card directly into your computer, as most customers do, does it sit perfectly level and snug? or does it sag slightly or tilt downward a bit? these characteristics can also cause the issue you're having. sprint repair centers have computers that they know are working and can preform the alternate computer test.

Journeyman

I have tried it in a different computer with same results.  I have tried tried attaching directly to computer and through an extension.  It has been working and the computer sitting still withought being touched when it cuts off.  I have also taken it into a store twice and they didn't test it.  Even with paying the extra $7 per month, they still didn't choose to try to test it or stand behind it.  All technical support wants to do is send a signal to my card and ignore how many times that has failed to solve the problem.  Therefore, after 5 years of loyalty to Sprint, they have forced me to cancel and try to find someone with some customer service.

Master

are you still experiencing the problem? I'm a Sprint Tech and hate hearing stories such as yours. Service and Repair stores are ABSOLUTELY supposed to test the aircard, but we are not computer technicians unfortunately which commonly causes confusion for some of our customers. S&R should be testing the card in one of their test laptops. also, we can escalate your issue to my supervisor and contact you proactively if that will help.

Journeyman

Too late.  When I called technical support again, they told me I only had two options:  1)Get a new card, pay a $50 deductable (hmmmm, that contradicts what the website says about replacement plan I've been paying for), and sign up for a new 2 year option.  2) Drive another hour to the local store for the third time to have them test it.  I chose to create the third option of quiting sprint.  Then, to pour salt in my wounds, they are still going to prorate the bill.  I have only occasionally been able to use it for the last 10 months, but Sprint will make sure and get every penny they can.  So, I've paid $600 this year for next to no service.  Received remarkably poor customer support and technical support.  A poor reflection on the corporate attitude of Sprint.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat