cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If You Exceeded the 5 Cap, Share Sprint's Response

46 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: If You Exceeded the 5 Cap, Share Sprint's Response

I just spent at least 15 mins, 1 5 m i n u t e s waiting for the exrtravagent Sprint Mobile Broadband to load the response window so I could comment on your remarks. At least It says, and I knew before waiting the minute and a half, by scrolling over your avatar, you had to be a Sprint plant. Talking us all down away from the cliff. Sprint has its highs and lows, always has, but has never been as terrible as it is today, this is the summer of 2010. I have been a Sprint customer for, almost 4 years. I had a Sierra Wireless Card that worked incrediably, all over the United States, using the Sprint Connection Manager, which allowed ROAM ONLY for those pescky times, like when your 5 miles outside a major city and have no more 3G coverage. Sprints 3G coverage is ridiculous to even compar next to other providers, no matter which one you pick. If another carriers coverage is bad, the provider will allow you to roam freely. Even with Obama in the White House its still a free country, believe it or not. Why wouldn't a $60 per month service not want to find the BEST connection for their customer. Thats what we pay for, the best Indian CSR that cant understand us, that money can buy, the best 3G network that money can buy... Not to mention the poor saps who went out and wasted there money on Sprints NEW laughable 4G EVO phone or connection card, I pitty you. There is no 4G wireless the amped up a WI-FI connection and bolted it to there all ready lacking towers in SOME cities. Sprint used to be good, bettter than good, great actually. I never had a complaint and have used them nationally and internationally for, as I have said before, almost 4 years but todays Sprint is a mear shadow of its former self... Terrible customer service, preventing customers from fully utilizing the network avaliable to them, no matter where at, thats why we pay $59.99 a month for it. Not to use the internet where Sprint wants us too. Their coverage maps are completly bogus. Need not waste my breath about those. Don't even get me started. It enrages me that a company as large as Sprint, publicly RAPES its patrons who use their mobile internet, I can't call it mobile broadband, because broadband its absolutly not! I would give anything for my 4 year old Sierra Card back but nope... Can't activate it. Its all almost laughable. If your thinking about buying into Sprint's wireless 56k internet just know that, that is what you are getting unless you never leave the confines of a MAJOR city, then why noot use WI-FI or just cable or broadband. Its cheaper, faster... I will be so glad at the end of August  when my job requires me to travel no more and I can say GOODBYE to this rip-off of a service. Now I might as well go to bed while this 15k of text uploads onto there site... It might be done by morning... noon for sure. Unfortunatly LMAO.

Journeyman

The thread entitled "If You Exceeded the 5 Cap, Share Sprint's Response" has been here on Buzz About Wireless and on the http://www.evdoforums.com/thread10345.html . So few have been terminated the threads are relatively inactive.

Basically those who signed up beginning in 11/08 are getting overage charges, but those with contracts prior don't seem to be hearing from Sprint unless their usage is regularly in excess of 15 GB.

Sprint seems very tolerant of routine overages below 10 GB like mine, below.

20Oct09 5237432
20Sep09 5217136
20Jun09 5038972
19Mar09 6105846
18Jan09 6106248
20Nov08 5319289
20Oct08 6200000
20Jun08 8979189

Those who had unlimited previously still have unlimited service (with a fair use clause that has always been there, I assume; no one has truly unlimited anything). If you signed up after the 5GB cap was instituted you have a 5GB limit, then it is charged at $0.05 per MB over that.<br><br>To know if you have unlimited or not you can check on Sprint.com under your usage details. In the column for "Remaining" and "Included" it will say unlimited. If it says something around 5,360,000 then you have a 5GB cap connection card plan. Those who have a cap will be charged if they go over, those who don't won't but can be terminated for "excessive usage".

Journeyman

I made a phone call once I was aware of what was going on with this issue. Their response to me, we will not bill you over the five gig cap but if you abuse the system we will send you a certified letter stating that you are doing so and that you need to change your habits. If you continue to abuse the system they will in effect either drop you from the sprint service or keep you on and for you to sign a wavier of your original agreement and start billing you over the five gigs that you use. They in turn will waive your 24 month agreement without an ETF. At first it wasn't pretty but when I finally reached the right people at the end of the day with a crazy bombardment of calls they offically let me know that since a majority of people do not abuse the system if you signed up for the unlimited program you will not be billed for overage.

Journeyman

<p>Hey guys, I know you're trying to stay on topic, butI work at a Sprint call center so I thought I would shed some light on the whole data cap thing. Within the last few months (sometime in 1Q 2009 I believe), Sprint changed the 5 GB policy so that you are actually billed for going over the 5 GB limit.It bills at $.05/MB.</p><p></p><p>Now, I know that not every customeris being billed for this, because of the T/Csome customers had when they started service. Have any of you guysactually been billed for data usage over 5 GB yet? (It sounds like that's what happened to anzatexan.)</p><div class="message-edit-history"><span class="edit-author">Message Edited by kingtiger on </span><span class="local-date">07-06-2009</span><span class="local-time"> 03:31 PM</span></div>

Journeyman

I agree. I got Stelera and run into the 8-10 GB range a month. I use Second Life, game, watch video clips, have yet to DL any movies over this 3.5G service.

I think that folks are right, Sprint is grasping straws for any kind of revenue flow.

Journeyman

Yes, but Max was wow 25 - 30 gigs a month that's nutty. I don't think I can hit that much usage. I rather believe he is an exception to the rule. A typical user like me uses seven - eight gigs a month on a heavy period. last month 6.5 gigs. nothing from Sprint about going over.

Journeyman

1. Date notified of T&amp;C change &amp; how.<br>24May08 by bill<br><br>2a. Billing period end date and total data usage from Sprint website.<br>20Mar09, 6.105846 GB*<br><br>2b. Sprint response, if any.<br>No response<br><br>3. Type of account &amp; date opened.<br>Consumer acct opened Aug06<br><br>Based on Max Indigo, who had a contract that began before the cap, <a target="_blank" href="http://www.evdoforums.com/thread11822.html">getting cancelled by Sprint</a>, it appears Sprint is finally going to selectively enforce the cap - at least for flagrant violators. The question now is "what will Sprint consider flagrant."<br><br>

Journeyman

<blockquote><hr>cyberbiker wrote:<br>Sprint seems to have decided to ignore overages from pre 11-2-08 subscribers (probably because of T&amp;C change flakeyness), but it is definitely hammering post 11-2-08 subscribers with excess usage charges.<br><br><hr></blockquote><p>I tend to agree. My vision data on my mobile broadband line of service still shows up as unlimited as it should be.</p>

Journeyman

Sprint seems to have decided to ignore overages from pre 11-2-08 subscribers (probably because of T&amp;C change flakeyness), but it is definitely hammering post 11-2-08 subscribers with excess usage charges.<br><br>