cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Javascript Not Working With U300?

Journeyman

Javascript Not Working With U300?

It seems that javascript is not correctly parsing on my new U300 Sprint modem. There are a number of sites -- and especially the two blogs I write (and for which I got the U300) -- where the javascript just doesn't correctly work.Specifically, the blogs (running Expression Engine) won't correctly run the javascript buttons when on the U300, leaving me unable to post or edit.

It works fine on the same computer when I connect with a wifi or a wired dsl or cable connection. Just not with the Sprint u300. It also worked with the Sierra wireless card I had before I upgraded.

I have eliminated every other possibility. It's got to be the U300 or something with the Sprint network.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a solution?

8 REPLIES 8
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: Javascript Not Working With U300?

That's really odd - because Javascript is pretty much client side browser based scripting and doesn't have much preference about how the physical and network layer work.

The only thing I can think is you're experiencing high network latency with your U300, which is causing the javascript based calls to time out without displaying a browser error.

Have you done a SpeedTest lately, or when you're having this issue?  What's your latency (ping time)?

Whats the ping time to the server you're having problems with?

Traceroute?

Have you been able to use the same computer connected to different network connections (WiFi, hard-wired LAN, other mobile broadband card) and have it succeed in running the javascript?

Have you been able to use the same U300 card in a different computer and experienced the same problems?

Have you been able to use a different computer on a different network connection and experienced no problems?

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

It works with WiFi using Sprint Smart View. It works with a wired connection. It doesn't work with the U300.

I checked with the developers of the websites in question and they examined the page source I sent them from my end, compared to the pagesource I got from off wifi. They said that the U300 pagesource shows that the javascript is being removed somewhere between their server and my machine. Here's a clip from the email they sent me.

... our server is outputting content (the same content is delivered for each user in this instance, that JavaScript does not change per visitor) that is not being delivered to your browser. Something sitting between your machine and the server is causing it, and that it's specifically the JavaScript being removed ...

They suggested that it would be some sort of virus protection or firewall, but the behavior continues -- works in wifi, not with the U300 -- even when virus protection and firewalls are off; I even went to the extreme of removing them completely with the same results

I don't know how to do a speed or latency test, but I'm in the DC area and should be getting a strong signal.

Ah Ha.  Ok - thanks.  I'll check with the product team and see if we're using any kind of proxy / gateway that could strip javascript.

There is an optimization setting (Acceleration) in the Sprint Smart View software that could be causing the javascript to be stripped from some pages when using a Broadband Card.

"The Acceleration Tab
If you enabled data acceleration when you installed the Sprint SmartView software, the settings
window will include an Acceleration tab.
When connected to a Mobile Broadband network that supports data acceleration, Sprint
SmartView can employ data compression and acceleration techniques to enhance your
connection speed. You use settings in the Acceleration tab to configure the data acceleration
employed.
● The group of settings marked Acceleration is responsible for enabling and disabling the
acceleration feature.
● The group of settings marked Acceleration Level configures the amount of acceleration
used."

See page 118 in your user manual, or view it online at.

http://www6.sprint.com/downloads/sprint_smartview/pdfs/SSVUserGuideWindows2.25.0046.pdf

This is most likely causing the issue.  Turn off Accelleration and you'll be golden.

Journeyman

That seems to work, but I have a followup question: Is the acceleration a software only, or a hardware feature? I want to get a Cradlepoint MBR1000 broadband router for the card to use in my office. If I do, will I run into the same acceleration problem? Or would it not be activated on a router?

I'm not sure if the software sends a request to a network gateway, or if that's a software function.

I'll check.

Just checked with the network gurus.  When attached to the Cradlepoint, the U300 will not use any byte compression, 'web accelerators' or anything like that.  Just a dumb pipe, which is the behavior you're looking for.

Thanks,

Will

Journeyman

I've had the opposite problem when using the U300 modem in my MBR1000 router and have burned up so much time with Sprint and Cradlepoint support that I feel like a beta tester.  I'm on my second U300 and second MBR1000 and am running at the current firmware levels.  I have the U300 sitting in my front window on the sash; it's connected to the router with a USB exension cable (it's amazing how my DL speeds went from 2-4 meg to 5-8meg when I put the U300 in the window).  The only default setting I have changed on the router is lowering the MTU from 1500 to 1400.  All that being said, when in 4G mode, I often run into problems with pages that are javascript and/or flash intensive not loading.  Whenever I'm browsing and I get stuck on a page that won't finish loading, I can usually get the page to finish loading if I log into the router and step down from 4G to 3G.  Sometimes that doesn't work, so I have to plug the U300 directly into my laptop and use SmartView (in 4G mode).  This is especially noticeable when I'm on facebook.  The facebook game Farm Town won't load when I'm on the router.  Sometimes I can get it to load if I log into the router and step down to 3G, but I usually have to plug the U300 directly into mynb ,kmuy laptop and use SmartView/4g.  Once I'm able to load Farm Town and start playing, I've discovered that I can switch back to the router/4g and continue to play Farm Town.  If I clear cache, however, Farm Town waon't load and I have to go back to SmartView. The imdb.com site is another site when I get "page not found" like the site is down, but I've learned to log into the router to step down to 3G to access the site (and then when I go back to 4G I can still get to the site).  I normallly use Firefox, but I also have IE8 on my laptop - I get the same thing with either browser.  I also have problems with my work laptop - which is XP (my home laptop above is Vista...both laptops are Dell Latitude D630s with the same configuration and wireless cards) - with certain business apps that involve large file transfers to my home office (I have to step down to 3G or plug the U300 directly into my work laptop)

I can't imagine I'm the only person who has run into this problem, but I'm close to giving up.  I've been a Sprint customer for over a decade, and in the fall of 2008 got rid of my AT&T land line and DSL when I first got the Sierra 597 3G card and the MBR1000 router.  I upgraded to 4G - the Atlanta area is "swimming" in 4G coverage - last fall when I upgraded my DirecTV to HD wanted faster DL speeds for downloading DTV on demand video.  I'm happy with 4-6meg on average DL speeds I get (3G was 1 to 1.4meg at the most) but I'm very frustrated with the basic browsing problems which I NEVER had on the 3G network.  I'm ready to start looking into replacing my Palm Pre with an iPhone from AT&T and going back to DSL.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat