cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More 598U problems

Highlighted
Journeyman

More 598U problems

About to pull out what little hair I have left. After a week and a half and no less than 8 calls to customer support I'm no closer to getting my situation resolved. It started a week ago last Weds. when I could no longer get the usual 3G EVDO 0 connection, it defaulted to the slows as molasses 1xrtt. A tech said it was the modem and sent a replacement. I installed it, called to activate, and it still has the same 1xrtt connection.

I've had Sprint mobile since 11/07 with no problems. I liked it so much I got my Mom to sign up, and as an experiment brought her laptop over and her connection with the u300 works with no problems.

Yesterday I started getting a blinking blue led indicator finally! but then I get an error message 691, stating my username and password aren't valid. I spent another 90 minutes with a tech who finally said one of the cells in the tower wasn't working and give it until Monday.

As I do small press publishing, I cannot upload my documents to the printer as it times out, very frustrating. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

I'm running Win 7 32 bit edition, with the latest smartview software.

14 REPLIES 14
Journeyman

Re: More 598U problems

We're having similar issues. Calls to tech support haven't been any help. We were told to clear our history and cookies, reinstall the software. That was the extent of their "help." Sometimes it will connect fine for a few mins and get the 3G connection, only to drop off and revert back to the 1xrtt again shortly after. We had this same problem with Verizon's service as well. They eventually told us, "we don't know what happened" and let us out of our contract. Still didn't get us our internet back. Not sure what to do or where to go from here. If tech support is no support and updates, antennas and other troubleshooting makes no difference. I can tell you that you're not the only one. Not that it's much consolation when you have things to do and are depending on your connnection to do it.

Journeyman

I am having problems similar to the ones you two posted, with the exception that 99% of the time I show an excellent connection however, when I attempt downloads I am lucky to reach speeds of 115 to 200 kps. I knew when I bought this aircard I was not in a 3G area just in a broadband location.

But when I first bought it I was able to peak out at 2.3MBs, a lot faster then my basic Ethernet connection. Now there isn't much differance. I am beginning to thing that with the introduction of the 4G network Sprint has over taxed their network. I've noticed this too on my HTC hero i am not getting as good reception as I was just 2 months ago. Don't get me wrong, I still get good reception on the Hero it just points to what I think is going on. 

Message was edited by: CPLucas

Journeyman

i'm in the same boat as the last guy. i have excellent connection most of the time but my download speeds rarely surpass 200 kbps. in fact, right now i have 5 bars, clear weather and the thing is actually performing above what i'm used to, but clocking at 380 kbps. i was kind of hoping i could get help here since customer service is next to worthless, but i see i'm not the only one paying a premium on decade old connection speeds. if i wasn't in a contract right now i could be paying less than half the price for 4000% improved service. thank you sprint.

Journeyman

I used to have a 595 U Sierra Wireless Air Card, it was just great, never any problem, always connect 3g.

So I decided to sign for another 2 years with Sprint. They gave me a 598U, thinking that it was going to be the same thing, boy was I wrong.

In the beginning it was dropping the connection all the time, so I finally fix that problem, second, the connection was always slow, hell, I'll say even slower than a dial-up, so I search for answers in the internet, ended up buying an antenna for the 598U card and surprisingly it worked, now I have 5 bars most of the time.

So, what's the problem now? I bet you are asking yourself. That it's not connecting 3g, it's  connecting only mobile, that is the reason that the connections are terribly slow. I TS the air card, updated the firmware, the SSV indicate that you are connecting  3g but you are actually connecting mobile. So to test this out, I click START, then CONNECT TO, and choose 3g, it indicates that there is a problem with the modem. I am tire of dealing and fixing this air card all the time. And on top of it, I've been warned that, even thou I have unlimited data, my account could be temporarily close if I exceed or use over 5gb of data.

I'm trying to contact technical support or just visit a local Sprint store, but either way, this is gonna be the last time I sign with Sprint, and being with Sprint for over 4 years now it's saying a lot.

Journeyman

Scottc,

I do apologize that you’re getting the run-a-round from our technical support department. We very much appreciate your service with Sprint, and I’d love to assist you. Could you provide your service address via personal message so I can see what issues are going on in your area? If your connection card is defaulting to 1xRTT, that generally means there EVO outage in the area.

Thanks,

reesthegeek

Journeyman

i am using usb 598 evdo modem in brooklyn ny 11211 smartview version 2.40-0054.0 excelent signal but im getting frustrating low speed recent download speeds are 0.09 and 0.17 its terrible slow for the past week please please help

Journeyman

We did have 3G/EVDO outages in the Brooklyn, NY area starting 12/13 which closed early this morning. See if you continue to have slower network speeds. If you can, access www.sprint.com/speedtest and post your download and upload speeds.

Journeyman

I have the 598U and I have had realitively good luck with it.  It is sometimes pretty slow, but usually it's okay.  However, I am not able to to use it at my lake property which is located  in Wagoner, OK., zipcode 74467.  Is there anything I can do to receive a 3G signal in this area.  I read where someone got an "antenna" for the 598U; is that still a possiblity?

Ken

Journeyman

Yes, I am the one using an antenna. I got it from Ebay, there are other hardware that you can use to boost your signal. As of now I get from 3 to 5 bars in my Sprintview. Without the antenna I used to have from 0 to 2 bars. So it does work. I think mine is either 9 or 11 db.

Journeyman

hi i am still getting verry slow connection in the brooklyn ny 11211 area thay keep on saying for the past 3 weeks that thay are having a issue with a tower and it should be fixed by now im getting download speed 0.19 mbps its redicoulus please please help thanks

Journeyman

We have had a very similar situation recently with our Sprint 598 air cards. After nearly 3 years of wonderful internet connection we suddenly cannot download anything because pages time out, and cannot even run a speed test. We have been going around and around with tech support for the past 5 weeks, and their story keeps changing. First they were saying that the tower nearest to our location was not functioning properly, and that  it would be repaired in 72 hours. They have finally decided that it must have been a "fluke" that we were able to get internet in the first place, and that the tower we had been using for 3 years is now facing the opposite direction from our house. They say that we are just out of luck now.

How we can go from 3 years of awesome internet to zero internet literally overnight is quite a mystery to me. We are still considered to be in the top functioning 3G area according to Sprints coverage maps, but in real life we have MUCH slower than even dial up could offer. We are extremely bewildered and unsatisfied.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat