cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear Zing Desktop Cradle does NOT improve my signal!

Journeyman

Netgear Zing Desktop Cradle does NOT improve my signal!

I use my Netgear Zing all day at work to stream radio shows and music.  However, my signal reception at work has been less than stellar.  To improve my signal and to make charging easier, I decided to order the desktop cradle for the Netgear Zing.  The product literature for the desktop cradle advertises up to a 5db gain improvement in your 4G signal.  Unfortunately, this has not been my experience, and I am very displeased with the cradle's performance.  Without the cradle, my Zing usually gets one or two bars of 4G service, three bars if I'm lucky.  I have my cradle high on top of a credenza in my office to give it the best position for receiving a signal.  When I dock my Zing in the cradle, my reception increases a whole.... wait.  What?  It doesn't improve at all?  WTF?  How can my 4G reception go from two bars to only two bars after docking my Zing into a cradle that advertises TWO omnidirectional MIMO antennae and a signal boost of up to 5db?

As it stands, my desktop is a glorified, not to mention expensive, charging dock.  That's it.

8 REPLIES 8
Journeyman

Re: Netgear Zing Desktop Cradle does NOT improve my signal!

I was just thinking about purchasing one of these items. It sounds like you save me some money.

Master

Robb.W,

Thanks for reaching out to us and I'm sorry to hear you're coming across issues. Have you had the unit checked out at a service and repair center? Does it increase service elsewhere, outside of your office? What's the zip code and cross streets for the area?

Dan

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

No, I haven't taken it anywhere to get it looked at.  My work is in the 60185 zip code.  Cross streets would be International Drive and Kautz Road.  I have not tried it anywhere outside my office yet as that was the only place I intended to use it.  Is this thing supposed to show a significant increase in signal strength or is really only supposed to be a marginal increase?

Master

Robb.W

I just wanted to follow up with you with regards to the service issues that you have been experiencing. I wanted to know if you have noticed any improvement with your service. Please let us know if you are still in need of assistance.

Omar

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

Nope, it hasn't improved at all.  I snapped a couple pics with my iPod this morning to demonstrate what is going on.  The first photo is of me holding the Zing in my hand right next to the cradle.  You can see that it has 5 bars of LTE signal strength.  I then docked the Zing in my cradle, and it immediately dropped to 1 bar of LTE signal strength (photo 2).  Apparently my hand makes for a better signal booster than the powered Zing cradle!  Another issue I have is with the Zing, but that may require it's own thread.  I'd appreciate it if you could help me with it here though so that I don't have to follow multiple threads for my device.  As you can see in the pics, my Zing shows I have 5.41GB of 6GB left on my data plan.  Last month, I upgraded my plan to 12GB/month.  Since then, my cycle has gone done to 0 days and just recently began a new month's cycle.  However, it still shows only a 6GB plan.  How do I get my Zing to update so it shows I have a 12GB plan?  Thanks.

handheld.jpeg

cradle.jpeg

Master

Dear Robb.W,

There are no known issues about the signal strength decreasing when you plug the device into the cradle. Is the cradle under a year old? I would suggest you to visit the store to check the device and the accessory. I contacted the store and they would be able to check on the devices. Moving to the data usage display. I was able to reset the data allowance by going to settings>reset>clear programing>continue reset. This would reset your usage history and at first it would show you only the amount of data you have used. Once a new billing cycle starts, you allotment would show on your screen properly. Let me know if that helps. Keep me updated.

Thanks ,

Angel
Journeyman

Thank you, Angel.  I have reset my Zing per your instructions.  I will take the device in to a Sprint store when I get the chance.  I will update this thread on my results.  Thanks for your help.

Master

Robb.W, No problem we are always here to help. Keep us updated. *Jazmine Social Care
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat