cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No U300 Card Support on Mac.

Journeyman

Re: No U300 Card Support on Mac.

Ok...an update.  I was told that U300 Mac support would be added in the next release of SmartView.  While the source is good, I always like to have a backup plan.  I managed to get ahold of a computer with Mac OSX.  Since some of you have reported connections to some degree with the clearwire software, I might be able to wrangle something together to bridge the gap in the meantime.  I haven't forgotten about you guys!  I've got working solutions for the U300 on everything but Mac at this point.

Just to recap...those of you that have reported being able to connect...

Were you able to connect 4g? If so, was the problem that you were stuck on the clearwire webpage?

Since the clearwire connection manager seems to be the most promising avenue, I'm going to start there.  I just need to know what I'm up against.  Any insight you mac users can provide on what you have to do to get a connection would be most helpful.

GD

Patron

My stance right now is that the card is not recognized by my mac (as far as I can see), nor does anything happen when I open up clearwire's manager.

Any word as to when the new version of smartview will be out?

Journeyman

Currently I have no device recognition of the U300 on my Macbook Pro.

Works fine on a older PC I have so I know the card works properly.

I have installed the Clearwire software , but I am not in a 4G zone ... yet.

Thank you for any help ..

WmRobbins

Journeyman

Like I mentioned before I believe, I have heard a date, but I don't know if it's 100% firm.  I'm seeing if I can get clarification on this.  I'll pass along an exact date when I get one, but I can tell you the date I heard was very soon.  I'm know that's ambigous, but by "soon" I  mean days.

Like I said, I'm tinkering with an alternate solution just in case my info turns out to be bad.  I don't normally gamble unless, of course, I eat fast food.

Patron

thanks for letting us know... good to hear something is coming "soon"

Journeyman

Well, I'm sitting here with my U300 plugged into my Macbook Pro with the new SSV_Mac2.28.0061 that was released today. I couldn't believe it. But, sure enough. 3G, 4G (maybe/coverage?), and even the 70MB USB storage works perfectly on a Mac!

Way to go Sprint. Tell Dan Hesse I'm sorry about those things I said on his voicemail.

(Apparently, the new version isn't posted on the U300 download page. But, if you click one of the other products, and grab V2.28, dated 12/10. It works!)

Journeyman

FYI, the supported device list for this release includes the U301:

http://www6.sprint.com/downloads/sprint_smartview/pdfs/SSVDevicesMac2.28.0061.pdf

Here's the direct download link for the working release of SSV:
http://www6.sprint.com/downloads/sprint_smartview/executables/SSV_Mac2.28.0061.mpkg.zip

Journeyman

I'm in a place where I don't have a good signal, but installing the new version of SSV does seem to indicate support for the U300 (even when running with the 64-bit kernel!). I need to test if I really get a usable connection, but one weird thing I noticed was no indicator lights on the device itself during operation.

Journeyman

I'm not so sure about my previous statement of 4G working. It switches to 4G mode, but I've walked outside to make sure (since it's always been spotty in the office) and it never gets a signal...

Will investigate more later. Maybe the reason the release notes say only the U301 is supported is because the WiMAX chipset in the U300 isn't supported on Mac.

Patron

I too get 3G fine, no 4G though.. the "connect" button is greyed out.

Guess i need to call sprint and tell them to give me a u301.

Journeyman

I would appreciate the same phone call

Haven't had any luck with the 4G yet .. if the U301 is available , then I would be happy to trade out.

WmRobbins

Journeyman

Could be worse, I was a moron and just bought one on eBay assuming it would work.... Stupid me. Oh well. I guess I can resell.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat