cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No U300 Card Support on Mac.

Patron

Re: No U300 Card Support on Mac.

Called sprint and the 4G support team, and they helped me a little bit at least.  Got a few answers.

- There is the U301 coming.  Woman told me either today or 13th. 4G support also said that it could be some random 4G ONLY card that is in the pipe, she wasn't sure. So called a sprint store here in Chicago.  Manager said he received an email stating that the card is being delayed at least a week-maybe two weeks. 

- I had her notate my account stating that the store selling me the U300 did not inform me of PC only, even though I asked. 

- I had her notate that Sprint should swap out the card for the new usable one at the original purchase store.  (They darn well better, considering we are a 15-year customer with 3 accounts!)

Hope this helps...

And F.W.I.W. the 3G side of the new Sprint Smartview on my mac is working just fine with 10.6.2

Patron

Looks like the waiting game is still going... engadget.com reported last night that a U301 product sheet announcement was made.. but no time frame for in stores etc..  just a little confused on the timeframe etc.

Journeyman

I saw in previous posts where it was stated no connection lights appeared on the device. Mine lights green while connected to 3G. I do not reside in a 4G area so I'm not of any help there but SmartView did tell me that I was not subscribed to the service when I clicked the button. I am running 10.6.2 on a MBP 17 Mid 2009 model.

I couldn't activate on my Mac but was able to on a Dell running Windows 7. Works perfect but hogs two of my three USB ports due to its size. I went back to my express card. The U300 does has a stronger signal reception though. By two bars. Was faster too.

Debating on selling. Can I use a USB extenstion cable?

Journeyman

I noticed that some of you are trying the U301 mac software.  How's this going?  Anyone had any luck?  Just by looking at some of the files, I would say the chipsets are the same, or pretty close to it.  That gives this software promise in working for the U300.  I'll run some tests and see if I can come up with anything....

Journeyman

Yes, after installing the latest Sprint SmartView software that supports the U301, I was able to use my U300 (3G only in my area).

Journeyman

Is 4g available in your area yet?  See, from the research I've learned, digging through code and such, the U300 and U301 have the same or very similar chipsets.  CMOTECH's name in on the FCC documents although the pics aren't clear enough to see the actual Wimax chip.  However, the fact that there were no new drivers added lend credence to the hope that this connection manager could be adapted to the U300.  I'm still researching it, but it's logical.

Journeyman

Nope. No 4G coverage in my area

Message was edited by: aaltonen

Journeyman

I'm in a 4G coverage area.

The U300 works in 3G on the new Smartview (2.28). But, although there is a button to switch to 4G (like the Windows client has), the U300 never switches to 4G mode and never tries to aquire a signal.

Patron

im in 4g as well in chicago.  U300 works on 3G but as Jeffrey101 said, the button to switch to 4G is not clickable and the U300 never searches for 4G. 

Journeyman

In the course of attempting to make this U300 work, i am pleased to see that some users have finally managed to get somewhere.  However, when attempting to install the new SSV software on my own Mac, i was told that i could not because it required OSX10.5 or higher.  Is there some way around this?  i am running 10.4.11, which should be plenty new enough for SSV.  Can it be patched to run with 10.4?  There's no reason that a piece of software that can be run even on dead OSs such as WinXP and Win2000 should be unable to run on a version of an OS that is still actually supported by its manufacturer.

--dunerat

Patron

You probably need to have 10.5 for the intel chips... that may be the problem.

For the others out there, any word on the new card??

Journeyman

@dunerat

You would have to use the 2.28.  Unfortunately, there's no way around this.  This was the first Mac version that they added the ability for the program to distinguish a 3g from a 4g device.  Even with the kexts loaded I would be very surprised if it worked.  You might be able to get as far as it showing in network connections, but most of the time, it still needs to be in 3g mode or you'll get a dialup error.

@Poolin1243

I'm seeing if I can get an official release date on the U301.  It doesn't seem to be in the order system, so the only think I know of for sure is that it hasn't been released to order online or over the phone.  Which means, it's more than likely not in any of the stores.

I've been testing the U300 on Mac.  I'd really need a U301 to compare it against, but it seems to have everything but the API that switches the card into 4g mode.  Apparently, the U300 and the U301 will differ to some degree in this process.  Other than that, there seems to be support for multiple wimax chipsets, so in theory if you could get past the switch it would work.  I have a few ideas I'm going to try, but I've also sent a mail out to see if I can connect with a developer that could answer me on if there are any plans to update the U300 to work with Mac beyond the 3g that you can do currently.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat