cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No U300 Card Support on Mac.

Journeyman

Re: No U300 Card Support on Mac.

Update for you guys....

I s/w a project manager and the info I obtained is currently the device manufacturer has no plans to add Mac support to the U300.  So, officially, the U301 would be the 4g solution for a Mac system.  I'm still trying to get a firm release date on when the card will be available through normal channels.

I'm still throwing ideas back and forth for making the U300 work in 4g with a Mac.  Obviously the U301 has a different operation for switching from one network to another.  Once I'm able to see it in operation, I should be able to figure out how different they are and if the switching code can be implemented.

Patron

Thanks GD for your help!

I think a partial consensus here is that most of us will go to sprint and ask for the new card to replace our 300's once the 301 is released.. I don't know if it is a good use of time and energy to figure out a SW solution until the card is released and we see what happens with sprint. 

Just my 2 cents...

(thank you for all your hard work, though!)

Journeyman

Agreed ...

I wanted to give Sprint a little time to develope Mac support for the U300. If it doesn't sound like it going to happen, then

i'll go ahead and try customer service. Maybe they will be kind enough to see we were patient in waiting for Mac support.

Fingers crossed .. thank you everyone from tech-support for doing your best.

Will Robbins

Patron

Looks like the wait may be even longer?  SprintUsers, engadget, etc were showing off yesterday some info about the U301, and a yet-to-be released WiMax Hotspot (which now that I know exists, almost would prefer)

They were saying february was release time.

Bummer.

I called sprint wimax support and the woman says that the U301 is OUT, but only for large businesses?  

Master

Poolin1243 wrote:

Looks like the wait may be even longer?  SprintUsers, engadget, etc were showing off yesterday some info about the U301, and a yet-to-be released WiMax Hotspot (which now that I know exists, almost would prefer)

They were saying february was release time.

Bummer.

I called sprint wimax support and the woman says that the U301 is OUT, but only for large businesses?

Large corporate accounts usually get first pick of the newest devices. In most cases it isn't even known outside of the dedicated business reps that the device is available. Only through their dedicated business channels can the device be purchased/ordered. This is why it isn't available over the phone, online, or in stores yet. Limited production so far from the manufacturer and once the large businesses get first crack it then moves down the line to consumers as production ramps up and there are more devices available. Usually the business orders for new devices are all backordered until they are shipped from the manufacturer. Once all of those back orders are filled (which can take weeks in some cases) it is launched for smaller businesses without dedicated reps and consumers.

A $1,000,000 monthly bill with hundreds of lines will get you a little preferential treatment in any business compared to the $200 family bill. It is basic business, is it right? Not necessarily, but it maintains a very healthy relationship with a major company that you can possibly trade service for service with as well.

Journeyman

In this case, it looks like it was launched in selected channels.  Halcyon's right.  This generally means corporate side availability.  I'm hoping to get a definitive answer possibly from one of the project managers tomorrow.  I did check general ordering inventory, and it's not listed yet.  So, while I can't confirm an exact release date, I can tell you it hasn't gone nationwide yet.

I did do some research regarding the differences between the U301 and the U300 though.  The U301 is using a brand new chipset from Beceem, the BCSM250 to handle the 4g/Wimax and the Qualcom QSC6085 to handle the 3G/EVDO service.  For reference, the U300 is using the BCM200 & the C-Motech 680.  The 680 uses the same chipset as the Franklin U680, which would explain why the U300 works on a Mac.  SSV simply sees it as a U680 and allows it to connect, since the drivers would be the same.  I'm not entirely sure, but I got the impression that Franklin is moving on the the newer BCSM250 chipset for subsequent cards.  Apparently, Beceem has no plans to release Mac drivers for the BCM200 chipset.  I would think that if it was a simple modification, they would do it, but this leads be to believe that either it's not possible or not practical.  At any rate, the U301 would be the way to go for Mac.

Journeyman

http://www.clear.com/shop/devices/modems

Find the U300 on Clear's webpage via the link above. Notice that it says, "Mac OS X coming soon". If the manufacturer didn't plan to support Mac on the U300, nobody told Clear.

Journeyman

Yeah...I've seen that as well.  The reason I didn't mention it is because I've been staring at that since October it seems like.  I talked to Clear at one point and they couldn't give me a release date or even confirm the information was accurate.  However, if they did implement this, it wouldn't take much to make it work with the U300 Sprint since the cards are pretty much identical.

The kext actually has listed possible support for the BCS200, but no reference to the BCSM250, oddly.  I'll have to break them down to vendor/product ids to figure out which is which.  I fear it's actually more complicated than this though.  The U300 has a "switch" that changes the device mode.  It's essentially 2 devices in 1, in which only one can be active at any given time.  Does the U301 have a similar switch?  My guess is it differs drastically from the U300.  If they were similiar, there would no problem adding support.

This is just speculation at this point, but I'll keep digging and see what I can find.

GD

Patron

Thanks for all the work and interest in this subject GD.. we all appreciate it. I guess it is just a waiting game now, with a hopeful resolution with sprint at the end of it for all of us.

Thanks again!

Journeyman

Hey GD, I'm checking with vendor management on this to see if they have any news. I hope to hear back from them today.

Journeyman

Er, my MBP is running on Intel's chips: 2,4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, to be exact.

@Groovedaddy:  As far as the 4G support goes, honestly, this is not nearly as big a deal for me at the moment.  If it would work ,in 3G, all the time, i'd be fine.  My area doesn't have any 4G anyway (and probably won't anytime soon, either), although i would have it when visiting family in other places.  So if i could get around that, it'd be fine for now until the U301 comes out.

thanks,

--dunerat

Journeyman

Just spoke to a sprint tech...... I have had over 10 tickets open regarding the u300, buying time till the u301 comes out, since the u301 is suppose to have 4g support on my Mac. Tech just told me that the u301 will have 4g support for the Mac when it does come out, and should be soon, BUT...he did state that the talk around his office is that SmartView will come out with a new version in April '10 - they hope, that will have the support for the 4g on the u300......... so it may look like there is a solution down the road....keeping fingers crossed on this end. In the meantime...just using the u300 on my Mac, with SmartView 2.28.0061.0 and getting 3g only. Good luck everyone...thanks for all the updates. JebS

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat