cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OverDrive Pro will not stay connected over WiFi to Macintosh OS X Mac Mini

Highlighted
Journeyman

Are there special settings that need to be applied to keep a reliable Wifi connection to a Mac Mini running OS X?

My Windows boxes mostly stay connected, but my Mac consistently loses the signal.  At that point, the Mac can see the OverdrivePro on the list of available networks, but attempting to connect just leads to a timeout.  Rebooting the Mac doesn't help, rebooting the OP usually (but not always) helps - but only for a while. After a day or two (or less) I lose the signal and need to do it again.

3 REPLIES 3
Journeyman

I cannot answer the question but I can confirm that I have exactly the same problem.  We have an offsite team working at a client and there are 6 devices that can connect to the Overdrive.  3 Windows 7 laptops, 2 iOS devices and 1 OSX device (both Snow Leopard and Lion have been on this machine during the time period so the version of OSX is not a variable).  The windows machices remain connected and work fine as they suspend and resume.  The iOS devices work fine as well although we mostly put them on the 4G  because of this issues for testing purposes. Normally they just stay on the ATT 3G connection.  The osx device normally connects in the morning then as soon as it suspends and resumes will not reconnect.  We have to reset the Overdrive to resolve.  I tried flushing the network caches in OSX without success.  I then disassocated the wireless connection with "sudo airport -z " and temporariliy changed the MAC address of the MacBook Air.  With the new MAC address it connects to the Overdrive with no problems.  Returning the machine to its native MAC address causes it to fail to connect once again.  This is a BUG with the OVERDRIVE and SPRINT needs to address.

Sorry I am only addiing to your pain but at least you are not alone. 

Journeyman

ADDITONAL INFORMATION:

I contacted Sierra Wireless directly and got the following response:

"Hello Mike,

Thank you for contacting sierra wireless technical support, the issue that you are reporting is valid. I have tested the issue on my Mac and came across same problem I have sent an email to my engineers to see if they have any solution for this issue and will keep you posted. In the mean time I was wondering if we could get some more information about the device such as the esn and the firmware version you are running on your device. You can get this information by going to advanced settings ---> device tab --> about and this where you should be able to see all this info such as firmware version and software version.

Regards,

SWI Tech Support"

We were running the most current firmware so hopefully this will be fixed in the next release.  Until then I guess we are stuck with having to change the MAC addresses on the OSX machines or rebooting the Overdrive. 

Master

Try this and let me know if it helps -It can't hurt - ??

• The iPAD may experience frequent disconnects due to inherent WiFi configuration.
  • The steps below may help make it easier for the iPAD to maintain or reacquire WiFi, alleviating disconnects.

Actions:

1. While connected to the Overdrive via WiFi, have customer enter http://overdrive in their browser to log in to their Overdrive Administration page.
    • Default password is: password.
  2. Go to Admin Set Up, change security to WPA2
  3. Go to Advanced Settings > Wi-Fi (tab), Basic Rate (dropdown) > 802.11g only (dropdown option).
  4. Click Save.
    • Overdrive will restart.
  5. Reconnect iPAD to Overdrive via Wi-Fi.

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat