cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overdrive Purchase Advice

Highlighted
Journeyman

Overdrive Purchase Advice

I'm thinking about replacing my U301 with an Overdrive so I can provide Wi-Fi internet access to my new internet capable Toshiba HDTV.  This TV is viewed only by me, and the 3G/4G U301 modem travels (as would an Overdrive) with me for use with my laptop at work, etc.

1. Would I be satisfied with the Overdrive's 3G and 4G performance for my laptop (as compared to my U301)?

2. I've heard that the Overdrive has a better antenna.  Can I expect a better indoors signal?

3. Would I get sufficient Wi-Fi speeds with the Overdrive for Hi-Def video streaming from VUDU.

Regards,

Mark

3 REPLIES 3
Master

Re: Overdrive Purchase Advice

Have you done a speed test at the location where the Overdrive would be used with your U301? The speeds should be the same if not better due to the Overdrive's orientation possibilities, meaning, you can move it to different parts of your house for better signal. Also, what does your coverage look like at sprint.com/coverage  ? Are you in 4G? You will need this to stream movies and not worry about how much data you're transferring.

Journeyman

Thanks for the reply, Tom.  My U301 4G speeds at my house vary (which I believe is a very common experience).  I'm located in a 4G (indoor) reception area, but near the edge of a lighter blue (outdoor) 4G area.  At home I frequently stream Hulu to my laptop, and occasionally have to wait for buffer.  At other times it streams like gangbusters... don't know what causes this variability.  I typically use my laptop in my bedroom (where my TV is located). The bedroom has a wooden door that opens to my open air carport.  I doubt that there's a better place for WiMax reception in my house.

All things being equal, can I expect slightly better performance from the Overdrive to justify an expenditure of $350?  And, would the Overdrive's Wi-Fi be adequate to stream video to my TV.  Or, should I be talking to AT&T about DSL?  DSL is a much more expensive proposition for me since I'm already under contract for 4G from Sprint.

Regards,

Mark

Master

well it's going to be hard to say for obvious reasons, speculation vs. actual testing. But the Overdrive specifications for WIFI are

• Universal Wi-Fi compatibility (Wi-Fi connection 802.11b or g). Where both versions of wifi have higher maximum bandwidths than our maximum 4G speeds, currently 10Mbps.  802.11b supports bandwidth up to 11 Mbps - frequency (2.4 GHz) // 802.11g supports bandwidth up to 54 Mbps - frequency (2.4 GHz) //

So it's great to hear that you're in a 4G area and enjoying the unlimited data transfer while streaming movies. Wish we had 4G here, but maybe someday. The last thing I'll leave you with is Sprint's 30 day return policy. @ $350 it sounds like you aren't eligible for an upgrade, but you can return it within 30 days for a full refund. So maybe you should just try it.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat