cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overdrive battery charge drops to critical, device powers off

Journeyman

I have a Sierra Wireless Overdrive 3G-4G W801 mobile hotspot.  I'm finding that the device turns itself off, reporting 'Battery critical  Charge immediately'.  I can then turn it back on immediately and observe that it is at 95%+ charge.  The device powers up, reconnects, and within a few minutes repeats the process.  This behavior happens when plugged in, tethered, and neither plugged in nor tethered.  However, at times it will stay on for a few hours. 

I took the device to a Sprint store.  The battery was tested and that isn't the issue.  They recommended I upgrade to the latest firmware--which I verified that I am on once I returned to my laptop.  I'm going to reinstall the firmware and see if that helps (doubtful).  The tech's recommendation was that I replace the device given that the battery was OK. 

Has anyone else encountered this and if so, was there a resolution beyond getting a new device? 

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Master

If they tested the battery my best bet is that it is hardware.  I don't carry TEP on mine and it sounds like you don't either.  It is $35.00 for them to repair/replace it at a Sprint Service and Repair center so I would go with thati f the device is less than a year old (warranty).  The new devices don't offer that much more in features to warrant a contract extension if you are eligible, in my opinion. 

Please update your post if the firmware reinstall works.

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

Journeyman

As expected, updating the firmware to the version the overdrive was already on made no difference--although the first time I tried to use it I got a helpful false positive of 15 mins or so of uptime before it shutdown.  New hardware is on order. 

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat