cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overdrive has been Sprint's Biggest Ripoff

Highlighted
Journeyman

Overdrive has been Sprint's Biggest Ripoff

Has anyone else suffered through the horrible two-year contract with a Sierra Wireless Overdrive only to realize you hardly ever used it because it was basically unusable?

When I bought it, the salesperson said I have 4G in my area (he checked, or so he claimed) and that it would be unlimited on 4G. I have never gotten it to connect to 4G at either my work or home. He also said it was free but ended up costing my $50 at checkout. I've traveled to other cities and it never connects to a 4G signal, just a pokey 3G. Completely unreliable, hardly usable (due to both the slowness of the speed and the data cap on 3G), and the biggest ripoff I've ever encountered at Sprint (where I've been a loyal customer for 15 years).

After speaking to someone on the phone who only wanted to submit a technician's report on my problems, I've about had it. That two year $35 contact has cost me about $900 in total. If I got $20 worth of use from the device over the past two years, I'd be surprised.

The phone rep offered to cancel the service ... after next billing cycle. Whoopee. It is gone, but I think I am too. I'm looking at getting a new tablet and am checking out data plans on the other carriers. They are all offering good bundled deals, either on a cellular-equipped tablet or a phone with hotspot to use with the tablet. I hate to burn the Sprint bridge after 15 years, but if flushing $900 down the toilet thanks to false promises with no recourse doesn't do it, what will? Sprint, why have you turned so mean?

5 REPLIES 5
Journeyman

Re: Overdrive has been Sprint's Biggest Ripoff

Try Verizon...I have them for my cellphone carrier...I would never consider Sprint for a cellphone carrier...I have a Novatel Wireless MiFi 4G Wimax 4082 mobile hotspot on a 2-year contract with Sprint; because of the cheap data plan:  12 GB a month for $79.99...currently it is on the 3 GB a month for $34,99.  Also, I could get a Verizon mifi but the service is more expensive; so I use the MiFi 4082 that I bought off Ebay a year ago.  I used it as a paperweight for 7 months then activated it.   I was with Sprint on a contract in 2001 but I paid the ETF to get out of my contract because of poor coverage, and even worse customer service.  I was with Verizon on a contract for 5 1/2 years then went to prepaid.  I then was with my daughter on a family-share plan.  However, when her sister-in-law wanted to substitute her phone for my phone on the Sprint family-share plan [she bought her phone off Ebay], Sprint and Boost Mobile bungled the porting of my number and service to Boost Mobile.  Her sister-in-law got her phone successfully substituted for my phone, but I was left without service and lost my number. Again, in a rage, I went right to Verizon and signed two 2-year contracts; thanks to Sprint and Boost Mobile.  I am, and always was, a very satisfied customer of Verizon Wireless.  I sent the phone back to my daughter when I signed the contracts with Verizon.  I am now down to 1 contract with Verizon; because 2nd contract expired and I disconnected it as I no longer need it.  I hate Boost Mobile to this day.  Will never do business with them again.  However, I like Virgin Mobile.  Hope this helps.

Journeyman

I have Siera for 2 yr. and as a truck driver using it all over the States, at least 15 states.

Didn't have problems you experienced, connecting to 4g where available, big cities.

For me problem is , since I am driving and using wifi, it constantly connecting and reconnecting to 3g and 4g, or searching for ,

which means I am getting and losing connection to internet, and that makes it unusable, mostly.

So I reset siera to 3g only,  while on the road, and that works while on the interstate and main roads.

Now Sprint coverage even with 3g is another story, but I manage

Journeyman

MAYDAYJAY,

I sincerely apologize for the delay in a response. I hate to hear that you’ve had so many issues with the Sierra Wireless Overdirve. We appreciate your loyalty and tenure with us and would hate to see you go. If there is anything you would like me to look into regarding this situation just let me know I’m here to help.

*Liz

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

Liz,

I would be happy to discuss this. Can you contact me directly, please?

Journeyman

MAYDAYJAY,

I will be sending you a Private Message so look for that soon.

*Liz

Sprint Social Care

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat