cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overdrive loses Wifi Connection, Just me or anyone else?

Journeyman

Overdrive loses Wifi Connection, Just me or anyone else?

Is anyone else having this issue... I'll connect to the Overdrive right away, and everything will be working fine, but after 15-20 minutes of usage over wifi I'll loose the wifi connect and be unable to connect to it again.  To get back online, i'll either have to connect the device via USB, and i'll be back on right away, OR i have to power it down and restart it.

This is not an issue that effects just my computer(Windows 7 Pro 64-bit) but I'll have my ZuneHD connected to the Overdrive as well, and at the same time that I lose connectivity on the computer, I'll also lose connectivity on my ZuneHD, and because I can't connect that device via USB i have to restart the overdrive to get back online with the ZuneHD..

I should point out, this happens no matter if I have a 4G connection or a 3G connection.

I have the latest firmware, and have even tried doing factory reboots, etc... I still have this issue...It happens all the time..

Does this effect anyone else?

Thanks,

Stephen

46 REPLIES 46
Journeyman

Re: Overdrive loses Wifi Connection, Just me or anyone else?

I have the same problem with some small differences in detail Typically, i lose connection every 1-2 hours. I have two laptops connected to it - one is an HP running Windows XP and the other is a MacBook Pro. Both laptops lose connectivity at exactly the same time. Its a nuisance. I hope Sprint fixes this bug soon. All my software is up to date as well.

Update (2010-04-05): If the overdrive is connected via USB there is no loss of connectivity. I had another computer on the wireless network - it lost connectivity twice during a 10 hour period. The first was within an hour of being connected and the second time was about 6 hours later. Each time connectivity was restored once the overdrive was powered down and turned back on.

Message was edited by: sudeep71

Journeyman

I see this too.  As someone else mentioned, it happens less while tethered via USB.  But when on USB it slowly discharges.  When it does lose the connection, I have to shut it down, remove the battery and restart it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

yes, me too.

i'm going to contact Sprint again to verify what i was already told--that there is 4G service already here in Chicago. but my service is spotty as heck. my signal drops out repeatedly throughout the day. it will drop to 3G sometimes, but if i wanted 3G, i would have kept my Novatel MiFi unit.

either the Overdrive or Sprint's 4G service is undependable, at least in Chicago. if you are trying to run a business with this combo, you are truly in trouble.

i am telling all of my friends not to make the switch just yet--the Overdrive/Sprint combo is just not ready.

Journeyman

I have the overdriveand use it with my new ipad. This thing doesn't stay conect it for more than five minutes. I took it to best buy mobile and they couldn't figure out what is wrong. Also after thre week of having the over drive, start it to giving error like no batery insert it. also said that it was completly charcge and when i disconect it it said critical low battery or something like that. They gave me a new one but i still have the problem of having to enter the security code every five minutes. I'm thinking of returning this thing and get the mifi from Verizon.

Journeyman

Change the wireless network to "b" only or "g" only. That should help prevent the iPad from getting confused.  Also, consider changing security to WPA/ WPA2 Personal. WEP seems to be an issue.  Also consider changing the Autoshutdown on the Overdrive to 10min. There is a known problem with the firmware and higher settings.  One thing is certain, the battery life on the overdrive is much lower than I anticipated. Just over 2 hours for me. Hopefully future firmware will fix  all these issues.

Journeyman

Has anyone found a fix for this?  I just got my Overdrive last week (July 21,2010) and I'm having this problem.  I talked to Sprint and they sent me a new unit and it's still having this problem.  It doesn't happen when I connect via USB.  Sometimes it will last 5 mins sometimes 45 mins, but it's unreliable.  I have turned my security off, and changed to 3G only b/c I don't get 4G where I am and I'm still having trouble.  Also my unit has the latest firmware update. Sprint can't seem to help, anyone else have any ideas? I'm connecting two Dell laptops running XP SP3.

Journeyman

Sprint replaced the first one still having same problem and it overheats... I'm done with it.

Journeyman

first of all, don't be satisfied dealing with the first level of customer support they expect us to deal with. please, please send your complaints to Dan@sprint.com and include a phone number if you can. i think that's the blanket email address for  Dan Hesse, the TV spokesguy for Sprint.

i'm not saying it will do any good but i felt better dealing with personnel there than i did with the usual CS people.

but i wound up putting my Overdrive on seasonal standby because i needed something i could rely on for a few months. i am using a Novatel MiFi (again ). 3G only and slower but rock solid reliability here in Chicago.

i told the guy what i was doing and why. he also suggested that i get another one (when i start using the Overdrive again ) if the problem still exists. i'm hoping by the time i come back, the Overdrive/4G combo is more stable.

that will only happen i we complain to the right people (if it is going to happen).

good luck.

Journeyman

I'm glad to see we're not alone.  We retired our U301 for the Overdrive because we needed to share the internet connection - and it is our only connection. I go to school online, my partner runs a business online - the U301 was solid but we couldn't share it.

The details everyone has given sound familiar. I've noticed that our computers (still running Vista) generally show connection to the overdrive, but can't connect through it to the internet despite the Overdrive showing as connected. Like several others we live smack in the middle of a 4G area so really expect no issues, and had very few with the U301.

If anyone does ever get an answer, let us know!

Journeyman

Yeah, all of a sudden I'm having this unreliable connection problem also. I live in Seattle, WA and I've had my Overdrive for about 3 months and haven't had any major problems like completely losing Internet connection.  Then lo' and behold I keep getting this connection losing problem?` What's going on? I've read several posts that say replacing the card (Overdrive)  is not the solution and I don't need the hassle of replacing the card anyway. (I'm disabled, so riding and switching buses is a problem) Please someone throw out a pearl of wisdom on how to fix this problem. I stopped Comcast cable, but a $55 buck  4G  and 12 mbs wire, it's mighty tempting. (hard wire 12 down and 4G, the only thing making the switch a little complicated is the early termination fee for the Sprint 4G, the Overdrive is mine, but it might be worth it to have a reliable, fast Internet connection)

Journeyman

See message below

Message was edited by: doug900

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat