cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overdrive loses Wifi Connection, Just me or anyone else?

Wizard

Re: Overdrive loses Wifi Connection, Just me or anyone else?

There's a new maintenance release available that should improve connectivity.  See this thread: http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/49021?tstart=0

Journeyman

Awesome! Can't wait to try it!

Journeyman

The latest firmware update solved my problems.  It's been a long time coming Sprint!  I've had it for 3 or 4 months and the only way I could get a constant connection was to run it connected to the USB.  Now I can leave it running all day and it never drops the WiFI connection.  Dream come true!

Journeyman

My overdrive hotspot has been perfect also!  It's a shame that some have canceled their accounts because of this disconnect issue.  Technology is very intricate, especially when there is duplexing (or receive,re-transmit,in real time,if you will) involved.  I guess some people want everything perfect, now.  But in real world testing, issues do pop up.  I'm glad I hung in there, and those that also got frustrated.  It was just a matter of time before Sprint developed an update that solved the problem.  Great job Sprint!!  Bring on the 4G to the rural areas.  I know it will eventually get here.  3G made it here.  Looking forward to it!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Please see overdrive headache my positing with my issues with the device.  There is no solution yet for the problems if you are able to get out of the contract I would recommend you keep close tabs on the count down, I do not believe you will have a results any time soon.  Good luck.

Journeyman

Overdrive loses Wifi Connection, Just me or anyone else?

Sprint's Chicago 4G network plus the Sierra Overdrive equalled a disaster for me. (when i set the device to use 3G only, there were no problems--but why use a 4G device for 3G?)

i tried whatever the Sprint techs suggested with no results. the device dropped service repeatedly. automatic switching from 3G to 4G (or vice versa) took too long or did not happen when it should have.

a real mess.

if you are experiencing problems with this combination (Chicago, the Overdrive and Sprint 4G), you are wasting your money. dump this as soon as possible.

stop wasting your time with regular tech support--contact askdan@sprint.com and get rid of this service as i did.

i switched to Clear and their 4G device. my iPod speedtests with Clear typically blow away what i was receiving with Sprint, the Clear device and network are steady and more reliable, and Clear is even cheaper!

Journeyman

Incredible!

I have spent the last 2 weeks talking to Sprint about the very same issues mentioned in this forum. Had the Mobile Hotspot abt 8 mos. Now it won't stay connected more than 2 minutes and sometimes won't reconnect unless I remove battery and reset. NOBODY at Sprint acknowledged that this was known technology issue. All acted like they had no idea why it was happening even after the replacement did the same thing.

I am now awaiting my 3rd unit, but after reading these posts, at least I will know why it probably won't work either. I find that the most infuriating - they couldn't - or wouldn't even tell me others have had the same problem. And the attitude at the Sprint store was terrible. They were more interested in talking to the DQ manager from next door about how many hot dogs they made today. No compassion for the Sprint customer. No "I'm sorry you're having a problem. Let's work to get you the service you're already paying for."

What's the point of being a long- term Sprint Premier customer? As soon as we can get out of these contracts it's Hello Verizon.

Journeyman

Have you tried updating the firmware to the latest version?  Months ago I too had the same issue.  Then, Sprint came out with a firmware update and wala I haven't had a disconnect since! open your browser and type http://overdrive (to access your overdrive settings) then logon to it if you have a password.  Click on advanced settings at the top of the pane, then look near the bottom and click "check for updates now" for the latest updates.  This should do it.  Doug

Journeyman

Interesting that you have better service with Clear. I was told by Clear they use the Sprint Network. Possibly their device works better.

Cheryl1212

Journeyman

i was surprised to see these responses in my mail. i thought i opted out of this board--but now i'm glad i didn't.

Cheryl1212--when i made the jump to Clear, i was skeptical because i heard the same thing that you did--that Clear and Sprint use the same network. but there is a marked difference in the reception. the device looks rather generic and is just labeled Clear Personal Hotspot.

which brings me to this--i hope that in my messages i always stressed that it was the COMBINATION of the Sprint network in Chicago and the 4G Sierra Overdrive that was the problem. i still say that those two just do not get along comfortably.

and i'm not going to search my old posts, but i may have mentioned that after having problems with Sprint Chicago network/4G Sierra Overdrive, i actually downgraded my device and went back to using the Sprint Chicago network and the 3G Novatel MiFi device. my connection was rock solid, but i could tell, even from running the spotty Sprint Chicago/4G Sierra Overdrive, that the speed was slower and i missed it.

and if i had wanted to keep 3G, i never would have purchased a 3G/4G device...

my suggestion to anyone under contract would be to do one of two things--contact that dan@sprint area and raise a ruckus. they KNOW there are problems with that combination and they will let you out of your contract if you make enough noise--trust me, i know. (now if there have been recent updates as someone above suggested, of course give them a fair chance to work.)

or...Sprint was actually getting in a new 3G/4G device from Novatel right before i left. if the device had been available, i would have at least given that a shot before moving on to Clear.

Novatel definitely got it right with their 3G device (again, working with the Sprint network in Chicago)--my GUESS would be that their 3G/4G would be just as good if not better (assuming that they are learning even more as technology marches on). contact Sprint and see if they'd be willing to let you swap the Overdrive for that new Novatel 3G/4G device.

good luck.

Journeyman

I have had the same problems with the Overdrive as everyone expresses here and more. I have had it for over a year and exchanged it once already and most recently last week I had to take it to a Sprint service center to troubleshoot and they had to change the Battery since it was swollen and the problems still remain. I can only connect to 3G and the signal is super slow, eventhough I made sure with Sprint that they had the appropriate coverage 3G/4G in my area and zip code.  The Overdrive device Never has connected to 4G and Never has performed as it should while connected on 3G, it is super slow.  I have talked dozens of times with Sprint Customer Service, Technical Service, Account Services and then some and I am still stuck with this device awaiting a final resolution on the issue.  A tip they gave me during the last service is to connect it to A/C power and while the cord is attached, detach the battery. This will preserve the battery and supposedly make the device perform better and not overheat.  I officially requested that I be upgraded to the Overdrive Pro to see if it perfoms better than the normal OD and take it from there before I finally drop Sprint for good. Cell Phone included.

Hope this was useful to all.

Take care.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat