cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phantom Usage

Journeyman

Phantom Usage

I have a MiFi 2200 and a Sprint data plan for it.

A couple of cycles ago, I was told that I'd used an astonishing amount of bandwidth.  Since I'd not actively monitored my use, I concluded that I'd just screwed-up.  And I started being more careful.

Uhm.  So, a few days ago, I checked my ostensible usage, and was tld that, in less than half the cycle, I'd used 9/10 of my 5GB.  I didn't see how I could have done this, but since then I've done nothing but use email (about a hundred received messages, and perhaps a dozen sent) and got on the web for a total of less than five minutes.

I went to a local cafe, which offers WiFi to its customers, and checked my usage record again.  Now I was reported as having passed my allotment by more than 700 MB.  I blasted-off an angry message to Sprint.  And I kept checking the usage record.  It's actively climbing.  My MiFi is at home, turned-off, but Sprint claims that I am gobbling down tens of their MBs while here.  So far, more than 100MB in the time that I've been sitting here.  Sprint has been hacked, and they're charging me for that.

So I've sent them another angry message, alerting them that I'll be contacting the FCC, the CPUC, and a lawyer if they don't act promptly to fix this, including refunding the bulk of those charges from two cycles ago.  In fact, they'll have to go beyond that if they don't want me to yank two of my current numbers, and the remaining one when the subscription expires.

5 REPLIES 5
Journeyman

Phantom Usage

I've got a discussion going in the customer support thread on the same topic. There might not be much relief from the overage if you cancel your account.

You might have more leverage and suffer less incredulity from support admins if you don't cancel your account while working on the problem.

Journeyman

Phantom Usage

Please provide a URL for that discussion.

I have two numbers besides the one in question; and I  can walk those two to a different provider without cancelling my  account.  In any case, while I would naturally rather get Sprint to an appropriate dfix with a minimum of fuss, they will not be keeping the improper charges, regardless of whether I quit my account.  I will take what measures are necessary for recovery.

Journeyman

Phantom Usage

I found what I take to be the other discussion: http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/282393

Journeyman

Phantom Usage

Another case is noted here: http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/66722

Wizard

Phantom Usage

Moved to Mobile Broadband Devices forum where the other discussions are located.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat