Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Compass 597 Smartview after upgrading to Windows 7

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Problem with Compass 597 Smartview after upgrading to Windows 7

Upgraded a Fujitsu Tablet from Vista to Windows 7. Ran into some problems with the drivers. Uninstalled Smartview. Downloaded Smartview 2.28. Reinstalled, now it says " internal application error" when you try to open the program. Called Sprint tech support, uninstalled, re-downloaded, installed, same problem. Took card to a Sprint repair center, and described the Smartview software problem. They tested the card, and said "download 2.28..." I have downloaded 2.28 to my desktop and it works fine. I would believe that there is a defect in the uninstalling tool that is not fixing all of the registry values for a clean install. Have tried different folder paths, and nothing will work. I do not want to perform a clean install of Win 7 if I can get around it. Any help is much appreciated. Do I need a different device with a different software package? If that is the simplest way, I need to convince Sprint to facilitate the swap.

15 REPLIES 15
Journeyman

Re: Problem with Compass 597 Smartview after upgrading to Windows 7

I'm having the exact same issue with my Sierra 598 USB 3G card.  I don't believe it to be related to the hardware, but rather it's an issue with the software.

It was working around Thanksgiving for me on my laptop, then this wekeend, when we went to drive to see the family again, it's not working suddenly.

It's worked fine for my husband on his laptop (Windows XP) while he's been traveling over the past month.

My laptop is running a fresh install of Windows 7.

Things I've done to troubleshoot:

• Completely uninstalled AntiVirus software
  • Rolled all Windows Updates back until 11/25 (it was working fine the day after this update)
  • Uninstalled the original Sprint software that worked (that came with the card - installed directly from the card), and installed 2.28
  • Uninstalled 2.28 and installed the original Sprint software that worked T some point on the laptop (that came on the card - installed directly from the card)
  • Even reverted back to the earliest restore point that I could on my laptop (12/12)

None of these things have worked for me.

This error comes up instantly upon opening up (or attempting to open up) the Sprint SmartView software, you get the Sprint SmartView splash screen, then this error comes up directly over that splash screen.  The splash screen goes away and this error stays up.  It happens when the card is plugged in, when it's no plugged in, and when the card is disabled in event viewer.  This leads me to believe that it's not an issue with the card, but rather that it's an issue with the software.

In order to be able to relaunch the splash screen, you must go into the task manager and kill the sprintsv.exe *32 program.  This tells me that it's still running, but the program is not being allowed to fully execute.

Anyone out there have any other suggestion?  Sprint tech support is sending me to the store and/or telling me to call my laptop manufacturer...

Journeyman

This is exactly what is going on with my wife's laptop. I cannot believe that more people are not having this issue. I now have an aircard that doesn't work with my hardware anymore. The only reason that I am reluctant to perform a complete blank and fresh install of Windows 7 is that most of the software is provided on license from her company, and it will be a royal pain ( not technically, but personally ) to have their tech support reinstall and configure all of the software. If there is a technical response from Sprint as to deleting registry values and files, I am more than up to the task. If we were not in a contractfor the card, I would simply discontinue it's use. To recap, SmartView 2.28 works fine on my Win 7 desktop. The problem is that the original version cannot be removed from the laptop to cleanly install version 2.28.

Journeyman

OK - so we basically need to find a way to remove the registry values to get 2.28 to work fresh without any trace of the previous version.

Come on Sprint, step up your game (just like with the Hero and leaving us early adopters out in the cold on the 2.0 updates...*ahem*)....

The new software on the market needs to be supported!

Journeyman

Just took my laptop and my card into a local Sprint store. Turns out they've had a number of problems with the Sierra cards.  They're sending me a new one and I should have it next week (I'm down in Houston visiting but live in Dallas) so I won't know until likely Wed of next week if it resolves the issue.

Apparently the drivers on the device have either become corrupted or erased.  When the tech there tried the card on his machine it prompted to install, but he already has the software installed...which is an indication that the drivers are missing from the device.

Journeyman

Starting with the simplest solution...

Verify you have two blue lights on the card - 1 solid (power) and one flashing (signal).  This will indicate you're in EVDO coverage.  Verify the connection manager does not indicate you're roaming.

Try connecting via the Dial-up Networking connection "CDMA".  That would eliminate it being a problem with the card itself.

If it does prompt you to install the Smartview again, this is actually due to the tru-install not recognizing that Smartview is installed.  Generally, if the card prompts an install, your card is fine, but there might be a software conflict somewhere.  I used to use an Sierra Compass 597 and I used to run into this from time to time.  There are a few things you can try...

1.  Unplug the card.  Navigate to C:\Program Files\Sprint\Sprint SmartView\SierraPackage and double click on "DriverInstaller.exe".  (Note: If you're running a 64 bit OS it will be c:\program files (x86)\Sprint\Sprint SmartView\SierraPackage and double click on "DriverInstall64.exe") - reinsert the card.  See if you still get the prompt.  If the prompt still appears.  Download this program from Sierra Wireless and run it.  Then, pull the card, wait a few seconds and replace.

If that doesn't work...

2.  Uninstall the Smartview Software.  Run a registry cleaner (Ccleaner works good for this).  Reinstall SSV 2.28 and see if there's any difference.

If that still doesn't work...

3.  Try using Sierra's Watcher Software.  You can get the software here. Just make sure you uninstall SSV before you install this one.  Let me know if any of these work out for you...  

Journeyman

Verify you have two blue lights on the card - 1 solid (power) and one flashing (signal).  This will indicate you're in EVDO coverage.  Verify the connection manager does not indicate you're roaming.

Done. It would light up and act like it would normally before.

Try connecting via the Dial-up Networking connection "CDMA".  That would eliminate it being a problem with the card itself.

Didn't work for me, can't speak for the other individual in this thread though.

If it does prompt you to install the Smartview again, this is actually due to the tru-install not recognizing that Smartview is installed.  Generally, if the card prompts an install, your card is fine, but there might be a software conflict somewhere.  I used to use an Sierra Compass 597 and I used to run into this from time to time.  There are a few things you can try...

On my personal laptop, it didn't prompt for the install.  It did this on the techs laptop at the store, but he already had the software installed.

1.  Unplug the card.  Navigate to C:\Program Files\Sprint\Sprint SmartView\SierraPackage and double click on "DriverInstaller.exe".  (Note: If you're running a 64 bit OS it will be c:\program files (x86)\Sprint\Sprint SmartView\SierraPackage and double click on "DriverInstall64.exe") - reinsert the card.  See if you still get the prompt.  If the prompt still appears.  Download this program from Sierra Wireless and run it.  Then, pull the card, wait a few seconds and replace.

If that doesn't work...

2.  Uninstall the Smartview Software.  Run a registry cleaner (Ccleaner works good for this).  Reinstall SSV 2.28 and see if there's any difference.

If that still doesn't work...

3.  Try using Sierra's Watcher Software.  You can get the software here. Just make sure you uninstall SSV before you install this one.  Let me know if any of these work out for you...

Can't try this till I get my new card later this week (hopefully it makes it before the black out called Christmas)...but, perhaps the OP of this thread can give it a shot and let us know if it solves his problem?! *crosses fingers*!

Thanks for the reply, gives me some hope.

Journeyman

Thanks for the response. I have followed all of the steps through, with no success. I performed everything to downloading Watcher. That program installs correctly, but when I attach my card it displays in the Watcher window: Device in software installation mode. I cannot connect through the interface, and nothing in the troubleshooter addresses this issue.

Journeyman

The next step would be to try just the driver installation.  Download the drivers from here and install with the card disconnected.  After the install completes, insert the card and see if it still gives you a problem.  I would also disable any internet security you might be running, especially Norton.  The sure fire way to do this is...

Do a start - run - type "msconfig" - click "ok"...

Under services - uncheck everything that isn't manufacturered by microsoft.  Under boot / startup programs uncheck everything that doesn't say "sprint" or "smith micro".  Restart and then install SSV and see if that has any effect.

Let me know if this has any effect!

GD

Journeyman

Ok, after following the steps as described for a limited start up, I proceeded to reinstall SSV 2.28. Upon restarting, it displays "internal application error". However, I decided to plug the aircard in anyway to see if any functionality had changed. Lo and behold, it opened up Sierra Watcher, and I was able to connect to service and verified active connection. My next step was to restart the computer with it's full suite of services, which I re-enabled. SSV loaded on startup, and said "internal app error". I went ahead and plugged the aircard in again, and it loaded Watcher after a delay. The card works as well in this configuration. For a control, I uninstalled SSV 2.28 and retested. Did not work. Reinstalled SSV 2.28, and Watcher loads up. Hopefully this will stay working. Will report back after a few days of field testing.

Journeyman

I suspect it's a couple of services that are installed with SSV.  The RC and CON services I believe.  I would try stopping SSV from autostarting.  If you can't get into SSV to stop it, you can always go into msconfig and stop the SSV app from loading.  See if that allows you to still use watcher.  At the very least, this would get rid of that annoying error msg.

Let me know how it works out!

Journeyman

This has worked for me.  I got my new card yesterday and have been able to play with it today.  This software actually works for me.

This tells me that it's an issue with the Sprint software, for sure then.

I actually still have the Sprint software installed as well as the Sierra software, and the Sierra software still works.

Now, how to get the GPS of the Sprint card to work at the same time with the Sierra software, since this was one of the things I actually use on this card on occasion.  Will the GPS function just be out the window then with this solution?

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat