cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIERRA WIRELESS CARD 598U

Highlighted
Journeyman

SIERRA WIRELESS CARD 598U

I just upgraded to a Sierra 598U wireless card. For some reason, it won't complete installation process. It will get as far as installing the ports, the I get a message saying the installation was interrupted and will have to close. I have uninstalled it several times and tried installing again, but no luck. I have turned off all antivirus, spyware etc. No good. I have uninstalled the previous wireless card I had and still it won't install completely. Any ideas???

22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Master

Re: SIERRA WIRELESS CARD 598U

Have you tried downloading the SmartView software from http://www.sprint.com/downloads if not I would try that first. It may just be the TRU-Install process is getting interrupted. If that doesn't work then most likely there is something going on that is interrupting the installation process somewhere. I have helped customers install the software on hundreds of laptops and have never gotten an error like that. Drivers that don't assign properly yes, but the installation of the files them self always worked.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Idownloaded the software from the Sprint website onto a cd and tried installing the card from that. Still, the same error message. It gets to installing the NMEA ports and says the installation was interrupted and has to close. Any other ideas? I have a HP laptop running Windows XP home edition with service pack 2 installed. Thanks for any help.

Highlighted
Master

Make sure that any HP software that may be running in the background is closed. Unfortunately though I'm not really sure. I'm assuming you've tried installing both with the card inserted and with the card out, other than that though I'm not really sure.

I would recommend looking in the Event Viewer (Control Panel >
Administrative Tools) to see if there are any exclamation points or stop signs around hte time that the error occurs. If there are, take a screen capture, preferably with the details window visible as well (Press the PrntScrn button on your keyboard, then open Paint, paste it and save it as a jpg file) and upload it somewhere like imageshack or photobucket and link it here for us to look at.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hello,

I'm having exact same problem. I'm running Windows Vista SP1 on both HP desktop and Toshiba laptop. Installation fails on both machines with exact same error (installation interrupted ...).

I was able to install the driver by running c:\program files\Sierra wireless Inc\Tru-Install\Drivers\DrvInst.exe while USB modem is plugged in. I then created dial-up connection and dialed #777 to connect. This works fine until I unplug the USB modem (or reboot). When I plug in the modem again, the system no longer recognizes the modem and I have run DrvInst.exe again to install the driver.

Any idea how I can make the driver installed permanently (or better yet, get SmartView installed)?

Thanks,

Glenn

Highlighted
Journeyman

BTW, when SmartView install fails, I see following event viewer entries:

Source: MsInstaller

Event ID: 11708

Level: Information

Task Category: None

Keywords: Classic

Actual message: Product: Sprint SmartView Installatino operation failed.

Source: MsInstaller

Event ID: 1033

Level: Information

Task Category: None

Keywords: Classic

Actual message: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Sprint SmartView. Product Version: 2.22.0042.0. Product Language: 1033, Installation success or error status: 1603

Glenn

Highlighted
Master

Event ID: 11708 refers usually to a corrupt user profile, error installing a registry entry, or the system not having access to the installation path. It is a generic error message from the Windows Installer, nothing specifically related to SmartView.

If you are using Vista, make sure that you have UAC enabled and try the installation again giving it administrator access when it asks, otherwise it can cause issues with installations at times.

If you are using XP make sure you are using an Administrator account (you usually are which is one reason UAC was implemented).

If neither of those work I'd say do a little troubleshooting with the user profiles to see if it may be corrupt. Create a new user (Control Panel > User Accounts), name it whatever you want since we will be getting rid of it later. After logging in to that user account try the installation again, if it works then you know you have a corrupted user account profile. If you don't care about that, you can just get rid of that user and the software will still be installed for the other users. Otherwise a corrupted user account is a whole other ball of whacks.

If neither of those worked, then I'm not sure.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just tried that. I created another administrator user account and logged in as that user, also enabled UAC, but the same error. I tried on2 machines and both failed. HP desktop and Toshiba laptop- both running Vista SP1. Could this be related to Vista SP1? I know when XP SP2 first came out, many people reportedsimilar installshielderrors (interrupted installation) on different software installations. I have Windows 7 beta installed on another partition and the installation was successful there.

Glenn

Highlighted
Master

I'm not sure then. I'm kind of stumped. I didn't have any problems re-installing it on my desktop (Vista Ultimate SP1) or laptop (Vista Home Premium SP1) to test out this, that includes making sure the drivers themselves were removed from the folders and everything to try a "clean" installation of it.

Interesting that the Windows 7 installation worked fine, I never got it to install the drivers correctly, although the software installed fine. I ended up having to copy the drivers over from my Vista partition.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm happy to tell you that I was able to install SmartView. When I saw your comment about "clean" install, I thought maybe I should give that a try. I went to the system and manually removed everything SmartView installation left behind (it didn't rollback everything) - including 3 ports in the device manager. I made sure UAC was still on (which was off when I first tried) and I also stopped anti-virus and windows defender (just to make sure nothing is intefering). I also right clicked the installation program and selected "run as administrator". After that, SmartView installed successfully. It is hard to tell exactly which step from many things I did differently this time made the difference, but I can't complain...

Thanks for your help.

Glenn

Highlighted
Master

Well, just glad to see that you got it fixed. Who knows what it was. Computers do weird things, that's why I always do a clean install when things aren't working. Just one less thing to think about.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the same problem and it happened right after a sprint software update.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat