cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sierra 598U won't load youtube videos

Sierra 598U won't load youtube videos

When using my 598U I can go to youtube.com, but none of the videos will play. I have no problems with dailymotion.com or any of the news websites. When I switch back to my cable based internet I can load youtube videos without any problem. Is there a restriction on youtube placed by sprint that I don't know about?

Message was edited by: admin

Message was edited by: izzyks

Message was edited by: SarahKS

11 REPLIES 11
Journeyman

Re: Sierra 598U won't load youtube videos

There shouldn't be a restriction regarding youtube videos.  Usually something like this generally points to a possible browser issue.  I would try clearing the cache and see if that does anything.  Beyond that, if you're using IE, you can go into control panel - internet options - advanced tab - click the reset button.  Make sure you don't check the box unless you want to delete your bookmarks and other info.

If that still doesn't help...

What does youtube do.  Are you able to see the video player?  If so, is the video just not playing?

Journeyman

It has nothing to do with your card, it has nothing to do with Sprints network, they don't filter particular web sites and their cards don't filter anything such as sites or communication protocols.

Don't take my word,.... just think for a second of the resulting groundswell amassed and doubling  by the minute against any ISP who decides to block their subscribers from the worlds most populer video site and one of the most frequented sites on the web which is an institution itself.

Of course, the world revolves you and your sprint card and you were the first to discover this covert scheme sprint schme to keep their subscribers tubeless.

You deserve the Nobel prize, see the clerk on your way out to sign for it.

Journeyman

I can't get YouTube since the day I got my broadband card either. Well, 99% of the time I can't, and then every once in a while I can watch one. The Sprint store told me to download the latest version of FLASH. Well, I did, and nothing has changed.

Why can't we get a straight answer on this??

Master

The straight answer is that Youtube is not blocked on the Sprint network. There has to be something going on with your computer to prevent you from viewing youtube videos. Unfortunately networking is extremely complex and the issue could be just about anywhere to be honest. Troubleshooting over the internet ina forum like this is going to be extremely difficult to try and find out where the issue might be.

First make sure that you can access youtube on that same computer with a different internet connection (like WiFi at a house or starbucks/mcdonalds/etc. if it is a laptop). If youtube doesn't work, the issue is 100% with your computer and has nothing to do with the mobile broadband card or software.

Second, try the card in another computer that you know can access youtube from a different connection (like a friend's computer). If it works there then it obviously isn't an issue with the Sprint connection.

As a;ways with anything networking related, clear out your cache and cookies to make sure there isn't something messed up there. In addition, make sure you are using the latest version of the Adobe flash player, and the latest version of your internet browser. I also recommend trying an alternative browser to make sure it isn't just an issue with that particular browser, or the browser settings. For example, if you use Internet Explorer, try installing and using Opera or Firefox instead to make sure it isn't the browser causing the issues.

If those basic troubleshooting steps don't work then I would recommend taking it into a local computer shop and having someone take a look at it (unless you know someone personally that is good with computers). I don't recommend taking the system to the Geek Squad or anything like that from a large retailer, they are extremely expensive for the little service they provide.

My mobile broadband card works perfectly fine for watching youtube. Occasionally I have some buffering but usually waiting a few seconds and starting the video again fixes it, and part of that is related to youtube's terrible streaming speeds at times (the same thing happens on my cable internet connection at home sometimes).

Journeyman

Thank you, Commander. I know the problem is broadband card oriented because until the day I bought the card and started using it, I had been getting YouTube videos via a wifi connection with zero problems.

Anyway, today I downloaded FireFox as a browser, and it seems to allow me to get videos from YouTube much better. So, thank you for the suggestion.

Master

No problem, there has to be somethin wrong with your other browser (Internet Explorer is my guess). You can reset IE to its default state to see ifthat is the issue, but keep in mind it removes just about everything in the browser. All of the settings and such will be back to defaults.

Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Reset

IT will remove everything, so it is meant as a last-ditch effort, but with the massive nubmer of options in multiple places that could affect it troubleshooting would be a nightmare. Depending on what you want to do it is an option however.

Journeyman

Beyond what has already been suggested, I use Chrome for most of my youtube/flash viewing.  It's a light-weight browser and does a good job for me.  I would give that a shot if you're still having problems.  9 times outta 10, IE is the problem with something like this.  The other times, its an over protective internet security.

Journeyman

Thank you, Groove. I've been using Chrome. I downloaded the latest Flash, and a new javascript, just to be sure. So, everything is in order, and I STILL can only open the YouTube videos and watch them -- it's really weird -- I can open one, then the next one won't open, meaning play -- it won't play. Then I'll go back to it a few minutes later and it still won't play, but then maybe another one will. And then I'll go back to one that wouldn't open and play, and then it WILL play. I do think it's something in the virus protector or some filter that is causing the problem. As I said, I did  take it to the Sprint store and they told me to go home and download the newest Flash player. I'm still flumoxed. And I need to be able to do this research for my job. And I don't seem to have the problem opening a YouTube video when it's offered on another site -- embedded in a news article, for example.

What on Earth could be causing this? How do I check a virus protector for disliking the Youtube site 90% of the time?

Journeyman

I would give this a shot...

There is a free program out there called youtube accelerator, by a company called "Speedbit".  It creates multiple connections to youtube to speed up buffering of the video.  I use it myself and it seems to work well.  Normally, what I've run into on youtube is sometimes the connection stalls out and if you refresh, it could restart the buffering.  Most would agree, this is pretty darn annoying.  It's because youtube is trying to conserve bandwith & server power.  So, it gives you only one connection to the video you select.  What makes this accelerator help is it connects multiple times and picks up the slack in case one should stall out.

You can check it out here.  It should work with whatever browser you want to use. 

Now, if it won't play, as in, you're not even getting it to buffer, there is another possibility.  Those videos that you have tried watching that won't play, have you been able to come back at a later time (after a reboot, etc) and get them to play?  Or, is it that the video never plays no matter what you do?  The reason I'm going that direction is because Flash Videos generally come in two formats.  One is FLV (your basic flash video) and the other is MP4 (referred to sometimes as h.264; its the same kind of video as what you get on a blu-ray disc as far as the compression method).  Now, it's possible it's having trouble playing one format, but not the other.  For example, if you do youtube on a Blackberry Curve phone, it will not play the mp4 videos, but will play the flv videos.  The kicker is, it doesn't really tell you what format the video you're attempting to play is in.

See if you can play this video from youtube as a test.

Journeyman

Groove. Your youtube video did not open up and play for me.

I have been trying to listen to this radio interview with Andrew Basiago. It’s 24 parts long. This first one opens up and plays immediately:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA4mhafok_E

Two minutes later, I try part two of the interview. This one won’t play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjJcdH8WIV8

Next, I try part 3. It plays!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2Dqkf7zWLI

Part 4: does NOT open.

Part 5 DOES open and play.

Can you figure out what would cause me not to be able to play half of them? (And today seems better than ever, as until today, I could get very few of them…

Many thanks, Groove.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It looks like you're having issues with the h.264 stuff (mp4).  I would try this...

If on a 32 bit OS:

go to c:\windows\system32\macromed\Flash\

run the uninstall_plugin.exe

run the FlashUtil10e_Plugin.exe

run the FlashUtil10e_ActiveX.exe

If on a 64 bit OS:

go to c:\windows\sysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\

run the uninstall_plugin.exe

run the FlashUtil10e_Plugin.exe

run the FlashUtil10e_ActiveX.exe

Then try and play your video and see what happens.  The coding for the h.264 codec should be inside flashplayer already.  If needed, we could get you a directshow filter if that still doesn't work.

GD

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat