Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sierra Compass 597u & Windows XP SP3 issues

Journeyman

Re: Sierra Compass 597u & Windows XP SP3 issues

Thanks for your reply.

I took a photo of the screen:

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/3221/bsodgn9.jpg

The modem came with version 1.18 of SmartView, but I downloaded version 1.20.0016.0 from Sprint.com.

The results are the same with both versions, on all computers.

Master

Well that STOP error is a generic one that can cover anything from drivers, to memory, to just about anything.

What I would recommend next since that didn't help as much as I had hoped is for you to post your mini dump that it generates. By default that is located at "%SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP" (Usually C:\Windows\Memory.dmp). You should be able to open that up in notepad and just copy/paste it.

I would recommend deleting the memory.dmp file if it already exists and then try connecting, if it BSODs then you have a new file that we can start from with just that error in it.

Since I know that the forum here doesn't allow attachments and the dump will be fairly lengthy I recommend posting it at http://www.pastebin.com/
and just linking to it here to save space.

Journeyman

Holy cow. Is it supposed to look like this?

http://pastebin.com/m6ed0b1c6

It's probably in Chinese...

Master

Well, that didn't work like I'd planned. I can't get my Vista install to debug the file correctly. IT gives a version mismatch since its an XP dump.

One last idea. There may be something useful in the Event Viewer. You can get to that through Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Most likely what we are looking for will have a Red octagon with an X next to it. Yellow exclamation points might be related as well, but most likely it will be a red octagon. They should be in chronological order so it will be right around the time the BSOD happens. No need to cause another BSOD for the info however, all of the previous ones should be listed in there.

If there are any red ones then taking a screenshot of the details screen might give us some more information to work with.

This is a lot easier with the computer in front of you I am realizing instead of trying to explain steps... haha. I do a little computer repair on the side, I've never tried to really talk someoneelse through this kind of thing before; used to doing it on my own having it in front of me.

Journeyman

Which log should I be looking at? "Application"?

I don't see any red octagons. There are a few yellow triangles, but none recent.

I'm thinking the problem must be a conflict with software I've installed, since I'm having the problem on every computer, other people apparently aren't, and it's not the modem.

I'm thinking about restoring the computer to factory default, and seeing if that fixes it. It's a new computer, so I wouldn't lose much. There are a few programs I install on all my computers: Firefox, ZoneAlarm, Mionet. Maybe one of those is the problem.

Journeyman

I think I have figured out what the problem is. (Fingers crossed. It's working so far.)

I had a program called Mionet installed. It's kind of like GoToMyPC. Western Digital owns it, and includes it with their wireless external hard drives. Since my netbooks don't have CD drives, I was using Mionet to access my wireless hard drive (to install software, etc.).

I had previously tried disabling Mionet, but apparently, it wasn't enough. It's still active, even if it looks like it hasn't started.

I uninstalled Mionet, and so far have not had a blue screen error.

Master

Glad to hear it was resolved. Can't believe no one else has had this issue before. But with how popular Western Digital hard drives are its probably not going to be the last.

Journeyman

I'm having a similar problem but my unit is the 598.  WinXP-SP3 here also.  Worked fine on my SP2 machine (a different one).  I'm getting various BSOD messages.  The IRQL thing is one and I am also getting a PFN LIST CORRUPT at times.

It doesn't happen often enough for me to get a good handle on it and I've only had the machine a couple of weeks.   Things seem to point to a IRQ or memory range conflict.  Whats a good approach to track it down?  I really don't have much in the way of programs that I have added myself.

Ideas?

Tnx,

Bill

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat