cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sierra Wireless 598u Strange Problems

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sierra Wireless 598u Strange Problems

When I first got the usb wireless modem, it was working fine and installed files when plugged in that first time, and you could see the device shown as a removable storage. Then there was a program update for SmartView and since then the device is glitchy. Sometimes windows doesn't seem to know it's plugged in, and does not show it. The indicator lights on the device claim it's working ok, the "power" led is always solid blue, and the "connect" led is flashing blue (waiting for connection). SmartView also doesn't seem to know it's there sometimes, I often get Device not found errors when SmartView is initializing. These do not resolve until I unplug and plug the modem back in several times, and cross my fingers that windows finally seems to install the device. Sometimes that never happens and I restart my computer, which also usually doesn't work.

I've tried disabling windows firewall and all security programs in case one was blocking it somehow. No good. I will say that SmartView under Updates claims there is 1 uninstalled firmware update, and I'm guessing the firmware would be for the USB device. However it won't let me install the firmware.The button Apply Firmware Update is unclickable, as if there is no update at all. Using Update Now, the program checks for updates and finds none. I'm not sure what's wrong with the device now, but it seems to me that when the last SmartView update occurred there must have been an update also for the USB device (Sierra 598U) and somehow it is not installable into my device, which leads the device to be unrecognized by windows or the new SmartView (the program itself was updated at that time).

I tried the troubleshooting help for this particular problem in the sierra wireless guide, and nothing has resolved it. IE I uninstalled smartview, restarted, and attempted to let the device install everything just like the first time I plugged it in to use it. Unfortunately windows refused to believe it was plugged into any of my three usb spots, and in order to regain smartview, I reinstalled it from the installer I downloaded off the site a few days back. Then I got lucky and somehow windows noticed the device again (I had been messing around with a help topic describing network discovery and USB devices, it must have set off something that forced windows to notice the device), and I was able to connect to post this. I'm sure it will be a struggle to connect again next time until this is resolved somehow, since I do think this has something to do with firmware/hardware/software issues.

Please help. I'll post any needed info here.

8 REPLIES 8
Journeyman

Re: Sierra Wireless 598u Strange Problems

I have sent this issue over to the head of the technical support department and I am waiting for a reply . I will let you know as soon as I know what can be done for this issue. I apologize for any inconveniences this may be causing you.

Journeyman

Has anyone else experienced this issue and hopefully come up with a solution? We are deploying these large scale, for public safety applications and are having major issues with devices not being recognized a day after it's installed and working fine. If you wiggle it and seat it "just right" it will sometimes recognize, only to drop off again without warning. We have updated to the latest firmware and software, running NDIS mode without even launching the sprint smart software. LED lights on the modem make it look like it's waiting for a connection, but when you look at the software it says "no device detected". We too have uninstalled, reinstalled, restarted, etc.  Now we can't even get a power indicator on some of them, yet other USB devices will work just fine in this PC, and the modem will work in another PC. So, it doesn't appear to be a bad hardware issue on either end. Any ideas?

Journeyman

I too have the same problem last nite on the phone almost three hours with sprint tech and the card connected and ran good when we hung up with the exception of an invalid argument and an internal error but ran super fast like it was suppose to.  today it went back to the same problem like your stating however i noticed that you are using a toshiba like me im on my third card and am tired of arguing with tech support about how the card works. i have become extremely frustrated. did you ever get a solution?

Journeyman

I unfortunately must be added to the list with this problem...  The 598U modem worked for months and months until a complete stop a week ago.

Smartview displays only 'No Device Detected' even with the modem plugged in.  The power light is solid blue, while the transfer indicator light is a flashing blue.

Device Manager reports an error with USB Mass Storage Device.

The issue seems exactly like the USB device not being detected.  Nothing I've tried has removed the problem with the USB device.  I have other USB devices currently working, and have switched the modem to every other USB port without success.  Thus, I both believe USB devices in general work and that this cannot be a bad port issue.

I just don't know what to try next...

-Paul

Journeyman

After extensive use and testing, Sprint has decided they are bad devices and sent replacements. Out of 30 or so replacements, I came across 3 or 4 that we had this problem with. Once I swapped devices, I haven't had any more problems.

A few tips on installation...We are running a wireless connection in addition to the Sprint connection. We run in NDIS mode with the connection "always on" so that we can seamlessly swap between connections. We downloaded the latest version of SmartView and installed directly rather than installing from the device. We also disabled automatic updates. If you have a wireless card, disable it before you start the installation. For some reason, they don't like each other in the beginning, especially if the wireless connection is active and connected to a network. The Sprint device would not recognize until I physically walked out of the network range.  Install, update, etc. before you turn your wireless card back on. You also want to allow simultaneous connections if you have a wirelss card.

Journeyman

Actually - I did more homework after going through Sprint's customer service then posting here.  I ended up at Sierra's help website, and some promising pages there took me to Microsoft's helpsite.  There I found both what the issue was and the solution.

The problem stemmed from plugging in the wireless card as the laptop was coming up from standby.  My layman description of Microsoft's explanation: while coming up from standby, not all aspects of the USB ports are active.  What happened is that the wireless card became registered as inserted but unable to be used yet.  When the laptop was completely up from standby, the USB port attempted communicate with the wireless card, but essentially found the device already registered.  The communication was aborted due to finding a duplicated device.  This also explains why all my USB ports worked for all other devices and why no USB port would then work for the wireless card.  Reboots did not clear this 'standby' registration of the wireless card.

The solution was simple - after reading over another Microsoft helppage about device manager and USB controllers, I decided to try uninstalling the USB controller that had the yellow 'X' on it while the wireless card was plugged in.  To my surprise, this fixed it immediately (it probably auto-scanned for new hardware) - after letting it finish figuring out the wireless card in the USB, I was able to connect again from the Smartview software.

Moral of the story: don't plug in any new USB devices while the computer is returning from standby.

I am not certain if this is the same problem others have had with the card, but I am certainly glad to have it working again.

Thanks,

-Paul

Journeyman

Hello All

I also have been having a problem with the sierra wireless.  I purchased this item about two months ago.  I use it for my laptop and Netbook.  About two weeks ago I received an upgrade notification.  After I installed the update to my Netbook (with windows 7) I began to have the issue with the firmware upgrade not installing.  Within the same day, the software no longer recognized the wireless card.  So I uninstalled the software, then tried to reinstall but could not.  I called technical support and after about an hour it was decided that I needed a new card.  I was told when the update was needed, install it from my desk top or web and I should not have a problem. After receiving the new card, I was successfully able to install the update on my lap top (window XP) and had no problems with a firmware issue.  However, my with the Netbook (windows 7) I keep receiving messages that I have a firmware update that needs to be performed. Once I try to do so, I receive an error that states a certain file is not found on my computer. 

Journeyman

I'm the IT director at my company and we've seen an unusual problem start cropping up with our 598u devices.  We recently purchased new HP ProBook 6540b laptops for our programmers and I have been getting reports that, when they plug the 598u into the USB ports, it shows all the signs or being operational but the laptop does not actually install any drivers.  SmartView fails to identify the unit when running under any circumstances.  And finally, after removing the 598u from the USB port, all of the USB ports across the bus cease functioning for several minutes.  We have tested the 598u issue on other machines and have not experienced this issue.

The HP ProBooks are running XP service pack 3 with all current patches and updates.  There are no other sync applications or third-party connetion utilities running.  I have also tested the units on older Dell Latitude D630s running the same OS, as well as on a Windows 7 install on a MacBook Pro Bootcamp partition and have not seen the problem occur on other machines.  Is there something proprietary to the HP unit that is causing the issue?  Are there other Sierra Wireless USB units with similar issues?  Should I be using a better USB unit to connect to our 3G/4G service?

Thanks.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat