cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart View Installer Fails for 598U -> illegal character in path ** RESOLVED**

Highlighted
Journeyman

Smart View Installer Fails for 598U -> illegal character in path ** RESOLVED**

I'm installing the Sprint SmartView software version 2.27.0064.0 that came on my new 598U Sierra Wireless USB Modem.  I accepted all the defaults on the installation and when the installation starts, it immediate fails with the error message "Product: Sprint SmartView -- Error 1324.The path Research In Motion contains an invalid character."

This is quite odd because I haven't had a Blackberry in some time, and the drivers were uninstalled some time ago.  I have no Blackberry drivers or paths on my system that match the string "Research in Motion".

To solve this problem, I figured I would need to check the System Registry, so I ran RegEdit and searched for "Research in Motion".  As luck would have it, there were some references to "E:\Research in Motion" (E:\ was an external CD-ROM drive at the time I used a Blackberry -- no longer) and some rather odd references to "E?\Research in Motion".  I'm sure it was the latter that the SmartView installer was complaining about.  Using RegEdit I deleted all references to the non-existent path and driver, and the installation was able to complete successfully.

Score one for me!

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat