cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Overdrive Pro Issues

Highlighted
Journeyman

My issue seems to be related to the iDevices. I have been running the ODP for a couple of days now without using the iPad or iPhone on it and have had no problems with connectivity.

The file sharing is a different story. It still freezes on me if I have a 2gb MicroSD or a 4gb MicroSDHC card inserted.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have this exact issue on my new ODP as reported by btagli. I hope a fix comes out; I will have to return it within 30 days if it doesn't get fixed. Having to take the battery out all the time is ridiculous.

Here is my situation:

ODP plugged into USB.  (sometimes will not stop bugging me to install the tethered device in Windows)

I have an iPad and iPhone connected to ODP via wifi.

No UPnP enabled.

Devices go to sleep and disconnect.

ODP will lose wifi connectivity, but still be connected to 4g and still show both devices connected even though they have gone to sleep and disconnected.

iDevices will not reconnect to the ODP and will not even show that the ODP network exists.

I can press the button on the ODP to shut it down.... It takes about 5 minutes to power off.

Once ODP is powered down it shows " Powered off No Battery "

Have to take out the battery to restart.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just called to cancel mine.  I can't handle it. Too ridiculous.  Worst product ever.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I noticed another weird issue with the ODP. When I use the charger and cable that came with the ODP it will refuse to charge and shows the message "charging paused...". There is no indication on the unit itself that in fact it's running on battery power even though it's hooked up to mains. As a result you can see the battery level dropping over time.

Capture1.JPG

When I plug the cable into a regular USB 2 port (laptop or Popcorn Hour) it will not run of the battery but (verrrry) slowly charge again. Visible once again only in the web interface.

Capture2.JPG

PS

I've already disabled all the extra's (SD disabled even removed the card, disabled GPS, low power Wi-Fi, disabled logging, etc) which of takes away some required functionality.

Highlighted
Journeyman

tomdeaver wrote:

For those concerned ~ Regarding the feature “UPnP” on the Overdrive Pro, we have been able to duplicate this reported issue and are investigating the root cause. 

Issue ~ When UPnP is enabled, wifi connections will drop, fail to connect, fail to report a connected user, and affect web browsing.

We have forwarded this information to our Project Managers who work with the vendors.  Any update will be posted here and the new thread.

Tom

Sprint Advanced Technical Support

Tom, Do you have any updates on this issue? It's been 3+ months since your post.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hello qvanjos, I would imagine that while connected to the standard charger you have been seeing charging paused because the battery/unit is overheating. having multiple connected users and a low signal strength will cause it to heatup more than one may expect since it has to broadcast a stronger signal to get back to the connected cellsite. if you already see PRL 60780 and firmware 1.41.02 then I may suggest relocating the overdrive to possibly gain signal strength, you can Private Message me if you'd like me to help more closely.

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hello been.jammin, the problem has been reported to Sierra Wireless, at this time it is to be addressed in the next software maintenance release, I'm sorry I don't have a timeframe for it. for now it is recommended that UPnP be disabled until the update has been released.

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Master

UPDATE:  We currently do not have any word on a maintenance release for the Sierra Wireless OverDrive Pro.  It is still pending and there has been no additional information at this time.  This update was requested by one of the community members in this forum. 

Tom

Highlighted
Journeyman

No surprise really that Sprint refuses to support a device after it's launched, and why would they? I should have learned from the example of the original Overdrive. I'm on my second Overdrive Pro in a day and a half and this one is getting sent back. Sierra Wireless' devices are junk. I really hope that Motorola builds a Mobile Broadband Hotspot for the Sprint Network, that's the only thing that will bring me back.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have finally managed to get rid of the Overdrive Pro I had (what a POS device), and switched to the Novatel 4082. Finally, a device that actually delivers!

It doesn't crash, it powers on and off real fast, it's super stable, and battery life seems to actually be quite excellent (4+ hours!).

I don't understand why Sprint doesn't stop selling the Overdrive Pro? Are people actually managing to use that device at all? I can tell you for sure that I was not able to use the Overdrive. It was simply unusable. I had all the symptoms described in this thread, and worse. Sometimes I had to take out the battery and power it on, twice, before any device could connect to it. I did disable UPnP and the SD-Card reader.

Oh and the Novatel's File Sharing of the SD-Card is also excellent - super stable. The Novatel "just works"! (And that's how it SHOULD be, and a consumer should not expect less!).

I expect Sprint to recall all Sierra Wireless Overdrive Pro devices, if they want to do the right thing by consumers.

Highlighted
Journeyman

skaag873 wrote:

I expect Sprint to recall all Sierra Wireless Overdrive Pro devices, if they want to do the right thing by consumers.

I agree, but it will never happen. Sprint has a history of selling junk devices and doing nothing to support them.The Samsung Moment and the Overdrive are two that I got stuck with. Sprint did absolutely nothing to fix the issues whith these devices, except swap for refurbs that had other problems. I can't think of any device that Sprint has recalled or replaced due to defects.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat