cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint to cap data at 5gb?

Journeyman

Re: Sprint to cap data at 5gb?

So can we cancel our contracts without paying the fee since we didnt sign up for 5G we signed a contract for unlimited

Journeyman

<blockquote>Nobody can blame the customers for believing the sales arm of the organization when told they were selling "unlimited" usage.</blockquote><blockquote>At this point Sprint is spending a lot of money and effort to gets it's reputation out of the hole that's the company has dug for itself over the last few years. Getting out of that hole is going to take a lot of time.</blockquote><blockquote>Selling one thing, changing the terms and messaging on bills more or less nobody reads to make "unlimited" limited, and then warning then terminating customers is going to generate even more ill will. It's a no win situation here.</blockquote><blockquote>As you point out, there isn't money to spend to increase capacity. Verizon has a huge number of data customers grandfathered on old "unlimited" plans on which they really can't enforce limits now due to legal reasons. On the other hand, Verizon can afford to spend the money to build out capacity where needed.</blockquote><blockquote></blockquote><blockquote></blockquote><blockquote><hr>Tomas wrote:<br>Calm down, folks. Even if a "CDMA Node" can handle a huge number of simultaneous connections, the back-haul to the network from that tower is often a single T1 line (1.544Mb/s), sometimes two...<br><br>Even if a "CDMA Node" could handle the mythical "unlimited" bandwidth (won't happen, CAN'T happen: physics), that would not mean there are no choke points in the rest of the network. Bandwidth costs money, and no network is planned to handle the maximum number of requests, only the "average" with a little left over for occasional small variations. Get very much above that normal expected level of use and things go downhill fast, because there are just no more resources available.<br><br>The PCS network was designed to handle the expected voice communications with a little padding for emergencies. Some additional capacity was added in many places to handle the "Sprint Vision" or "Sprint Power Vision" data loads expected from handsets viewing specially made (or modified) small format sites. Again, in some areas some capacity was added for the expected datacard use.<br><br>Then the marketeers took the ball and ran with it. They started blathering about "Unlimited Data!" and "Wireless Broadband Internet!" in such a way as to imply they had something that the company never did and never could have: Unlimited Bandwidth. They were happily selling the same bandwidth multiple times to multiple customers.<br><br>When people started believing the lying sales monkeys, and started using that non-existent unlimited bandwidth wireless broadband internet service they were touting, the service hit the wall in places, and the engineers screamed, flailed, pulled out their hair and ripped their shirts while yelling "It told you so! I told you so!" over and over and over.<br><br>Eventually some of that seeped into the boardroom and into the high-level offices and the word went out "Fix it!"<br><br>Having no money and a diminishing number of customers to pluck money from, the easiest way was for their minions to establish some sort of "limit" on "unlimited." They looked around, saw that everyone else had set a limit at 5GB/month, and very quickly decided to do the same.<br><br>No one seemed to understand that the customers had actually <u>believed</u> in the unlimited bandwidth the sales monkeys had been selling, and would be upset when what they never had was taken away from them.<br><br>I think I need to have some tea...<br><br><br><hr></blockquote><p></p>

Wizard

Calm down, folks. Even if a "CDMA Node" can handle a huge number of simultaneous connections, the back-haul to the network from that tower is often a single T1 line (1.544Mb/s), sometimes two...<br><br>Even if a "CDMA Node" could handle the mythical "unlimited" bandwidth (won't happen, CAN'T happen: physics), that would not mean there are no choke points in the rest of the network. Bandwidth costs money, and no network is planned to handle the maximum number of requests, only the "average" with a little left over for occasional small variations. Get very much above that normal expected level of use and things go downhill fast, because there are just no more resources available.<br><br>The PCS network was designed to handle the expected voice communications with a little padding for emergencies. Some additional capacity was added in many places to handle the "Sprint Vision" or "Sprint Power Vision" data loads expected from handsets viewing specially made (or modified) small format sites. Again, in some areas some capacity was added for the expected datacard use.<br><br>Then the marketeers took the ball and ran with it. They started blathering about "Unlimited Data!" and "Wireless Broadband Internet!" in such a way as to imply they had something that the company never did and never could have: Unlimited Bandwidth. They were happily selling the same bandwidth multiple times to multiple customers.<br><br>When people started believing the lying sales monkeys, and started using that non-existent unlimited bandwidth wireless broadband internet service they were touting, the service hit the wall in places, and the engineers screamed, flailed, pulled out their hair and ripped their shirts while yelling "It told you so! I told you so!" over and over and over.<br><br>Eventually some of that seeped into the boardroom and into the high-level offices and the word went out "Fix it!"<br><br>Having no money and a diminishing number of customers to pluck money from, the easiest way was for their minions to establish some sort of "limit" on "unlimited." They looked around, saw that everyone else had set a limit at 5GB/month, and very quickly decided to do the same.<br><br>No one seemed to understand that the customers had actually <u>believed</u> in the unlimited bandwidth the sales monkeys had been selling, and would be upset when what they never had was taken away from them.<br><br>I think I need to have some tea...<br><br><br>

Journeyman

<p>That is part of what puzzles me. Capacity doesn't seem to be an issue right now. As long as I'm in an area with good coverage, I can get the better part of a T1 of bandwidth.</p><p></p><p>I've been thinking about this cap a bit more, and I'm leaning towards continuing my Sprint service, using it as I use it, and if Sprint decides to terminate my service, then they can do so. I've never gone over 10GB, although I go over 5GB semi-routinely. I mostly use my connection for work (quite heavily, I'm a network adminstrator, so I'm on a lot keeping things running), and I expense the bill to my employer.</p><p></p><p>No real reason to cancel now. I'm going to ride it out and see how Sprint reacts. If they terminate me, they'll undoubtedly give me some notice and waive the ETF, and then I'll figure out what my options are.</p><p></p><p>Perhaps Sprint will see the light and rather than terminate me, offer me an option to purchase a more expensive class of service with a 10GB limit.</p><p></p><p></p><div class="message-edit-history"><span class="edit-author">Message Edited by ratatosk on </span><span class="local-date">06-10-2008</span><span class="local-time"> 02:13 PM</span></div>

Journeyman

<p>lyn, quasi, JMC, all spot on.<br><br>I would rather the service be slow and that everybody be able to use it as they please.</p><p></p><p>On a crowded node, I think Joe Websurfer should have higher priority than the guy who leaves bittorrent running 24/7. But there are easy tech fixes for these problems. For example- prioritize port 80 (HTTP) traffic. Or deprioritize the people who use tons and tons of data- after 5gb your priority goes down. That's not to say your speed goes down (aka hughesnet FAP), that's dumb. What I am suggesting is once a node becomes saturated (does that ever happen anyway?) pick and choose WHO gets slowed down.<br><br>problem solved.</p><p></p><p>But if I have to pick between being slowed down a bit by someone else and getting a cap myself, then let them have at it. He's paying for his service, let him use it.</p><p></p><p>...Of course the resal solution to this problem (be it on cable or with Sprint) is to have the network do their job and build in more capacity for the heavy user(s). But after we've been losing hundreds of thousands of subs per quarter for the last several quarters I doubt capacity is that much of an issue...</p><div class="message-edit-history"><span class="edit-author">Message Edited by IronHelix on </span><span class="local-date">06-10-2008</span><span class="local-time"> 08:42 AM</span></div>

Journeyman JMC
Journeyman

<blockquote><hr>quasijedi wrote:<br><blockquote><hr>Lyn wrote:<br><p></p><p>Listen to your customers, you fools.</p><p></p><p>Dial up is looking better every day.</p><hr></blockquote><p>Lyn, I couldn't have said it better myself. People don't want to have someone else tell them when enough is enough...they want the independence and freedom to do that on their own. Funny how NONE of the European countries impose any wireless data card cap whatsoever. And they're well ahead in terms of data card usage there given the topography and such. So, if their networks can handle the bandwidth usage, then Sprint's CDMA network should be able to easily handle the usage that it sees <strong><em>unless</em></strong> all this talk of having the most advanced network in the US was merely that...TALK.</p><p></p><p>Hmmm...given Sprint's track record, I think this cap is going to end up seriously biting them in the arse. Barry West may know how to deliver tech to the customer, but whoever made this boneheaded "We need a cap" thing is a complete and utter moron (hmmm...pick one: C-level execs? BoD? Both?). I honestly can say that even with a complete lack of telecom engineering experience, I honestly believe that I could easily run circles around the BoD and Dan Hesse in terms of how to fix this company and how to then take on Verizon and AT&amp;T (despite them becoming 2x Nextel's size). Alas, the BoD all need a good scalping (aka get them fired) and the CEO needs a hard kick in the family jewels for giving away the one last jewel this company had left that was (until the announcement) untouchable.</p><p></p><p>Ah well...let's see how many subs leave this quarter. My bet is over 1.5M. Any takers?</p><hr><p></p><p>Spot on qj. I couldn't agree more. The thing that irks me is well is how we have subscribers that go along with newly imposed in restriction and are on some personal crusade to criticize and preach to other data card users that they either should limit their usage habits or that 5GB is hard to reach.Totally ridiculous.</p><p></p></blockquote>

<blockquote><hr>Lyn wrote:<br><p></p><p>Listen to your customers, you fools.</p><p></p><p>Dial up is looking better every day.</p><hr></blockquote><p>Lyn, I couldn't have said it better myself. People don't want to have someone else tell them when enough is enough...they want the independence and freedom to do that on their own. Funny how NONE of the European countries impose any wireless data card cap whatsoever. And they're well ahead in terms of data card usage there given the topography and such. So, if their networks can handle the bandwidth usage, then Sprint's CDMA network should be able to easily handle the usage that it sees <strong><em>unless</em></strong> all this talk of having the most advanced network in the US was merely that...TALK.</p><p></p><p>Hmmm...given Sprint's track record, I think this cap is going to end up seriously biting them in the arse. Barry West may know how to deliver tech to the customer, but whoever made this boneheaded "We need a cap" thing is a complete and utter moron (hmmm...pick one: C-level execs? BoD? Both?). I honestly can say that even with a complete lack of telecom engineering experience, I honestly believe that I could easily run circles around the BoD and Dan Hesse in terms of how to fix this company and how to then take on Verizon and AT&amp;T (despite them becoming 2x Nextel's size). Alas, the BoD all need a good scalping (aka get them fired) and the CEO needs a hard kick in the family jewels for giving away the one last jewel this company had left that was (until the announcement) untouchable.</p><p></p><p>Ah well...let's see how many subs leave this quarter. My bet is over 1.5M. Any takers?</p>

Highlighted
Journeyman Lyn
Journeyman

<p><strong>A long time wireless user's observation:</strong></p><p></p><p>It is interesting that all of the posts that I read on all boards are against caps. All of the people that have cancelled or said that they were goint to cancel have been because of caps. I can't remember a single post complaining about slow speed because someone was hogging bandwidth. Perhaps the ISPs are totally and completely wrong on what people want from their wireless broadband providers.</p><p></p><p>I left Hughes because of caps. (8 year customer)</p><p></p><p>I left Sprint because of the threat of caps, which was confirmed in my last bill. I was told by the person who handled my cancellation call that I hadn't exceeded their cap. (13 month customer)<br></p><p></p><p>I will leave Alltel/Verizon if caps are imposed. (1 week customer, yes I know, bad timing on my part)<br></p><p></p><p>I've read in some blogs that the wireless companies are paying over $2,000 per customer when they buy another carrier. Perhaps they should look more at retention of purchased customers and customer relations than at caps.</p><p></p><p>Speed is not very hight on my priority list, but <strong><u>Caps are like an eject button for me</u></strong>.</p><p></p><p>Listen to your customers, you fools.</p><p></p><p>Dial up is looking better every day.</p>

Journeyman

Or watching 5 regular season Redsox games on mlb.com

Journeyman

<blockquote>wengla02 wrote:<br></blockquote><blockquote><blockquote><p>Did a bit of fiddling - at absolute full bore max EVDO Rev-A link speeds, you get about 8 hours to download your 5GB. Granted, I've never seen max theoretical speed, but for fun, here's what the limits get you:</p><p></p><p>It also works out to 6 movies from iTunes Store.</p><p>7 Linux ISO downloads</p><p>10 hours of Netflix Streaming Video</p><p>40 hours of Youtube videos.</p><p>500+ hours on World of Warcraft</p><p>1400 MP3 files.</p><p>40,000 average webpage views</p><p>88,000 email messages.</p><p>17,800,000 instant messages.</p><p></p><p></p><hr>Or one purchase of CoD4 for pc.. 5.5 gigs.. Or One purchase of Assassin's Creed, for PC.. 6 gigs. Whats a person going to do for the rest of the month, when they've already gone over their "allowance" by purchasing and downloading digital media..</blockquote></blockquote>