cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprints lack of Mac support

Journeyman

I am fairly fed up with Sprint right now.  I have a Franklin U301 sprint air card and upgraded to OS X lion when it came out like a million other mac users.  When I booted up sprint smartview the next day I get an error saying

"This application has not yet been tested on 64-bit systems. Reboot in 32-bit mode for best results."

When I plug in the mobile broadband card it stalls at initializing now and will not work.  I called sprint about this and am informed that it will take them 6 months to a year to update sprint smartview.  The support employee in a bragging tone of voice said it "only" took them 6 months to update their software when windows 7 came out.  According to their support tech, Sprint apparently doesn't know of developer preview software (lion has been avalible for months to developers) and waits until the final release before attempting to adjust their software.  Two different techs and one of their managers each confirmed that to me.  I have now spoken to 3 techs, 1 manager and supossably getting a call back from a 2nd manager (which was requested begining of the day Thursday, now being past business hours Friday so 2 full business days with no response).  Especially frustrating on this own forum a Sprint employee seems to have acknowleged the issue months ago.

Despite attempting to speak to multiple technicians and managers of Sprint's support line I get no help.  Only after this I find a way online to get a semi 3g connection. 

open network preferences -> selecting the 3g connection

telephone number #777

leaving account name/password blank.

connect

My speed test gives 0.2Mbps with this connection which is slow even for 3g. When I was getting 8Mbps 4g connections before.

Has anyone found a way to get a 4g connection without sprint smartview or a better 3g connection? Should I switch away from Sprint and go somewhere with real support?

14 REPLIES 14
Master

Re: Sprints lack of Mac support

I apologize about your frustration.

On the 19th of July, Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer announced that OSX Lion, the latest update to Apple's operating system, would be released July 20th. They announced the release date one day before it was released - which was 3 days ago.  Unfortunately, that is not enough time to develop and release an update for Sprint Smartview.  Also according to Verizon's website, the software for their mobile broadband only supports up to Mac OSX 10.6. - Lion is 10.7. 

http://www.vzam.net/download/download.aspx

I don't beleive At&t supports Lion either, but I couldn't find their download page.  So switching to another carrier wouldn't solve this problem.

I am sure we will support Lion soon but unfortunately, you'll have to connect the way you described until the next version of Smartview is released.

Thank you

Journeyman

Re: Sprints lack of Mac support

I find your response interesting Robotaholic.  When I install VZaccess manager (Verizon's sprint smartview equivalent) it says "Mac OS X 10.4.0 or later" and have read multiple reports online of their mobile broadband cards working with Lion.  Rather than addressing sprints lack of support you would rather try bashing competition and make excuses?

Yes the exact date of Lion's release was announced on the 19th.  But everyone knew it was coming some point in July as that was announced June 6th.  While developer previews have been availible since February 24, 2011.  The gold master was released to developers on July 2nd so the final code was there if sprint is a developer of software. Many software vendors had already released updates to fix lion compatability before July even came around. Do you not have a developer account with Apple so are waiting for the final release to the public to start working on your software?  If so that is just disrespectful to your customers as seems to be the case.  A 6 month eta for updated software is frankly pathetic.

The only workaround which isn't even Sprint provided gives half the normal 3g speed.

Master

If you look at the link I provided, you will see that you must select your operating system in order to even download it, and Lion is not available.  I was not bashing anyone, just trying to explain that we are just like other carriers, we don't officially support it because it is so new.  I meant what I said, that I apologize that you are unable to use 4G until a newer version of Smartview is available.  I am sure you are not the only person in this situation.  We will have a newer version of Smartview available as soon as possible.  Thank you for your patience.  Sprint has not provided an official ETA for the next version of Smartview. 

Journeyman

SmartView has been incompatible with new shipping Macs since February. Let me say that again, Since February.

There has never been 64-bit support, and the default kernels on the Early 2011 MacBook Pro is 64bit. Prior to Lion, you could at least reboot into 32bit mode and run SmartView, but that was a poor solution at best.

As jhsgon said, Developer Previews of Lion have also been available since February. To have completely ignored a big chunk of your customer base is apalling.

I recently 'upgraded' from a U760 (with unlimited 3G) to a U600 (with capped 3G, and 4G coverage is *really* spotty no matter what the maps say). At least with the U760 I could happily use the built-in support in the operating system. Now I'm stuck with Sprint's incompatible crapware.

Given the terrible reviews of the Overdrive and MiFi (and the fact that I don't really want to manage yet another battery), I decided to stay with a simple USB device. Apparently that was a mistake and I should have stayed far, far away from anything that requires SmartView.

I have been a happy Sprint data customer for a long, long time. Those days are over, apparently.

Master

According to our download page : www.sprint.com/downloads, for the U600:

Technical Specifications:
Dated: 01/25/2011
Software Version: 2.50.0097
OS Supported: Mac OS X - 10.5 Leopard, and 10.6 Snow Leopard
Mac Hardware Supported: Intel-based only

Now, as a tech support agent, of course it is out of my control if compatible software has not been released.  However, I can tell you that there is a 30 day money back guarantee.  You can test 4G service at your location as well as device compatibility and if it doesn't work out, get your money back.  You shouldn't be stuck with anything you can not use.  The developer preview may have been released in February, however that doesn't change the fact that none of the 3 main carriers officially support it yet.  Sprint is working to prepare and release a new version of Smartview as soon as possible though.

Journeyman

Further research and Amilewski22's post has shown this issue has happened with snow leopard in 64 bit mode which the new macs have booted into by default since Febuary. 

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/63583?tstart=0 is a post on Feb 28th first reporting this issue which would fix lion support as well at 10.6 snow leopard.  A Sprint representative (Shane_M) finally gave a response on June 17th saying they knew it was an issue.

Again you claim other providers are just as bad but reports online show verizon works just haven't updated their download page yet.  Quit trying to scapegoat and support your own products.

Journeyman

"

OS Supported:

Mac OS X - 10.5 Leopard, and 10.6 Snow Leopard

Mac Hardware Supported:

Intel-based only

"

And  that's almost true. But this Intel-based Mac running 10.6 Snow Leopard  was not supported: 4G only worked if you rebooted in 32bit mode. That's  not "supported", that's "there is a workaround".

As to that money back guarantee, how would that work for me,  since I used an upgrade to get the U600, and the 3G unlimited plan is no  longer available?

I'm actually thinking that this U600 might be defective, since 4G  coverage is SO poor. At the moment I'm in San Francisco, on the 27th  floor of a hotel in the Financial district. If I borrow a 10.6 machine I  can occasionally get the 4G network to be detected, but it does not  connect. The coverage maps claim in-building coverage here. (dark red)

I'll call Sprint customer service about that when I can borrow the 10.6 machine again.

Journeyman

So there is a 32bit mode in Lion, and indeed if you boot into 32bit mode you can get smartview to work with 4G. So now I'm going to call Sprint and see if the coverage maps are fiction, or I have a bad U600.

The problem for me is that since I'm using FileVault, I haven't figured out how to selectively boot into 32bit mode at boot time. I have to type 'sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture i386' from terminal and reboot, then 'sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture x86_64' when I'm done needing 4G and want to do real work.

Journeyman

Amilewski22 Thank you for at least a poor workaround but at least that is a temporary workaround.  I am in SF area as well and have gottne up to a 8Mbps 4g connection at times.  I will have to test it some more now that there is a workaround.  I wish there was a way to completely bypass sprint smartview though.

Journeyman

If you aren't using FileVault, holding 3 and 2 probably works. But FileVault has changed the boot sequence around, so it's unclear *when* to hold keys down for boot options.

I doubt Sprint invented any wheels for the 4G connectivity, it's just a matter of figuring out what they're actually doing over that ethernet interface. But if there are kexts required to get the interface to appear, I think we're sunk until Sprint gets it together.

Highlighted
Journeyman

OK, I'm even more disappointed with Sprint than I was before I started digging into this. I've posted more over here, http://www.evdoforums.com/thread15184.html, but the short version is thus:

4G support on the Mac for at least the U600, and probably  everything Sprint sells, depends on a kernel extension called  BeceemAppleWiMAXAdapter.kext. This kext contains binaries for two  architectures: i386 (32-bit Intel) and ppc (PowerPC). Since this kext is  likely provided by the WiMAX chipset vendor, I figured that Sprint was  stuck until that vendor came through with a new kext.

Well, it  turns out they have. Clear has recently released beta drivers for 64-bit  Snow Leopard and Lion. Since there appears to be one vendor that  provides the chipsets for everyone's WiMAX modems, I downloaded the  Clear Connection Manger beta and looked inside the installer. Sure  enough, theres a BeceemAppleWiMAXAdatper.kext with binaries for i386 and  x86_64 (64-bit intel).

A moment's work with Pacifist, and I now have functional 4G in SmartView on Lion.

Sprint: Get it together! The hard part is already done for you.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat