cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Troubleshoot if the Sprint SmartView software does not detect the 598U by Sierra Wireless USB modem

Highlighted
Journeyman

Troubleshoot if the Sprint SmartView software does not detect the 598U by Sierra Wireless USB modem

I have installed my air card several times and I cannot get my Vista to see the air card.  What can I do?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Journeyman

Hello!

Make sure Smartview is closed.  The card can be either plugged or unplugged, it shouldn't make a difference.

Then go into "network connections" by way of "network and sharing center"...

start - control panel - network and sharing center - manage network connections (option on the far left of this window)

See if you can find these dial-up connections....CDMA and 3g...

Right-click on each and select "delete"...

You can close out of all those windows and relaunch Smartview with the card plugged in.  See if this doesn't clear that error...

Let me know if this works or if you're still having the issue, in which case we can do further troubleshooting.

GD

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the same problem and tried the solution above but it did not work.  I have also tried installing and uninstalling a number of times and deleting "3g dial up" connections in addition to modems in the "Phone and Modem" utility before reinstalling.  I picked up those tips in another forum but still no success.

I have tried installing with the Sierra plugged in and not plugged in.  I have tried using the download link from the update and the download link from the Sprint Software page.  Again,  uninstalling and removing all remnants before each install.

I also tried to "Restore" my computer to an earlier date to get the old software back.  The files are there but it won't launch when I did this.  I tried the "TRUinstall" file also with no success.  Now I've done so many installs that all my "Restore" dates have moved up and I don't think I could go back to before the update to try that again.

Isn't the device supposed to have that software, version 1.20.0016.0, preloaded on it?  That is the version I had.  I updated to Windows 7 a few months ago and didn't have any problem.  I plugged the Sierra in, and it loaded the Smartview with no problem.  Now, with everything uninstalled, when I plug it in, all it does is install the drivers.  I really would like to get that old software back.

Also, now, when the device is plugged in, the blue light on the left doesn't stay on all the time.  Sometimes it goes on and off intermittently.  I don't know if this means anything.  The light on the right has not come on at all.

Have I tried everything?  Any other suggestions would be appreciated.  I've got a trouble ticket in to tech, but it probably won't be until next week now before that is worked on.  But you all are probably off for the weekend here too.

The message I get on Smartview after installing is either "No Devices Available" or "Initializing" but then nothing happens.  I'm on Windows 7.  When I do the "Query Modem" it is not successful.

Message was edited by: Sojourn

Message was edited by: Sojourn

GD,  I tried some of the other solutions you mentioned in some other posts like installing Sierra Watcher and some of the other different configurations with no success.  I took it to a Best Buy and one of the geeks there spent a half hour trying to get it working on the old and new Smartview with no success.  So I know it's not my computer.  Finally, this is about over.  When normal business gets back under way next week, I'll get a new device.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My first inclination is that the device has a short in it.  The power light should always be a solid blue.  No lights would mean no power.  At any rate, it would definitely be the device if the problem isn't port specific.

Highlighted
Journeyman

If you get the error of the install or uninstall being interrupted go to the following link to download the window installer cleanup utility.  http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9/d/e9d80355-7ab4-45b8-80e8-983a48d5e1bd/msicuu2.exe . Then launch it from the start menu look for the sprint installer and remove then try to install the new version of Sprint Smartview or uninstall. This has happened on 2 different computers of mine when I upgraded to newer cards. Some issue Sierra Wireless has not cleared up with windows installer for sprint.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat