cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are options for using a separate device for my own wifi hotspot vs using my phone as hotspot? (not sure if I'm in correct forum)

Highlighted
Journeyman

What are options for using a separate device for my own wifi hotspot vs using my phone as hotspot? (not sure if I'm in correct forum)

(I think I'm posting this in the proper forum or sub-forum, but if it really should be in a different one, if a moderator would like to move it there then I'd appreciate it, thanks!)

I use the mobile hotspot on my Galaxy S5 fairly often for my business and since I have great broadband service at home and at my office, I don't need to do any heavy downloading via the mobile hotspot, I normally use it for looking up info on whatever I need info on and things like that, which are much easier to do on my tablet or my laptop, instead of squinting at the little screen on my phone. A guy who works for me just ordered one of those stand alone wifi hotspot devices and he has Sprint as well, but he mentioned paying some ridiculously low price for the cell service for this device, I think he said its an extra $10/month (or $9.95 or whatever) on top of what he's paying now on his account. He currently has his phone (also a Galaxy S5) and his daughter has some sort smartphone on his account and that was it, just those 2 lines plus now he's adding this hotspot device. He's usually not the type to tell me things that aren't correct, I can think of other friends who I automatically would double check ANYTHING they told me, you know those people who always seem to screw up all sorts of details! Not this guy though, which is what has me very puzzled because then why would I want to continue paying $20/month extra on top of my regular phone bill, just so I can use my phone as a hotspot? (with a 2GB/month limit the higher GB hotspot option is I think $50 month)

So, is he correct on that? I briefly looked on the website here and saw a bunch of different stand alone hotspot devices and just don't have the time to sift through them all and if it costs more than using my own phone as a hotspot, then why bother, although it would also be nice to be able to continue using the net while talking on my phone and I think its so stupid that every time I get an incoming call, even if I don't answer it because I'm using phone as hotspot, I still have to go back and turn the hotspot back on, because it automatically disconnects the hotspot every time I get a call!

Tags (3)
1 REPLY 1
Master

Re: What are options for using a separate device for my own wifi hotspot vs using my phone as hotspot? (not sure if I'm in correct forum)

Hi BT5150,

Thank you for contacting us at Sprint. We currently have a plan with that pricing. We would like to assist with that. Please open this link, fill out the form so we can assist you properly: http://bit.ly/1qQty1X

Thank you,

Michael

Sprint Social Care

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat