cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the point of having a mobile hotspot device with Sprint?

Highlighted
Journeyman

What's the point of having a mobile hotspot device with Sprint?

The only advantage of having Sprint is unlimited data, but since that doesn't apply to mobile hotspot services, what's the point of having Sprint service for a mobile hotspot? Everybody knows now that Sprint has the slowest 3G network and the least 4G coverage. What's the point of slower service if you're getting the same data caps? If Sprint wants to be competitive with it's mobile hotspot service, or just plain not a ripoff, it's gonna have to bring back unlimited data.

6 REPLIES 6
Wizard

Re: What's the point of having a mobile hotspot device with Sprint?

Because people have tablets or handheld WiFi devices, and often WiFi data isn't available. They can get WiFi off of the hotspot.

Journeyman

WiFi hotspots are not a problem in my area. I haven't seen any reduction of 3G speeds.

Journeyman

I don't think you read my post. What I was saying was what's the advantage of having a  mobile hotspot with Sprint, as opposed to any other carrier.

Wizard

I guess some people choose a carrier just to get a hotspot, but I would imagine that's rare. For us, there are five devices on our account. One device is also enabled from time to time as a hotspot. You can turn it on and off and pay the prorated cost rather than an entire month. I have done that on a few occasions for business trips. It's convenient when you expect to be outside wifi coverage. A Sprint customer care rep was the one who told me I could enable my phone as a hotspot for just a few days and then cancel. No contract! Brilliant!

Journeyman

I meant a moble hotspot device like the MiFi.

Journeyman

I completely agree with you GForce-1. I've had the mobile hotspot for the past year, with unlimited data. Such crappy reception in my area I would sometimes not even be able to get a connection and could rarely stream video so only went over 5GB a few times. Now just a month or so ago they put a 5GB cap on me and want to charge me 5 cents per MB. That amounts to over 50 bucks per GB!!! THAT IS A TOTAL RIPOFF!!! I could get much better reception with Verizon so what would be my advantage of going with Sprint if I can't get unlimited data like all their commercials say? SPRINT SUCKS CRAP!!!

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat