cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win7 RC1 (64-bit) & U300 - can it be made to work?

Highlighted
Patron

Win7 RC1 (64-bit) & U300 - can it be made to work?

I've tried & tried, but no luck. If there's a way to test beta drivers, please add me to the list. Also, does anyone know if it will work with Win7 32-bit? Thx.

Message Edited by U300Win7_64 on 06-01-2009 09:04 PM

56 REPLIES 56
Patron

Re: Win7 RC1 (64-bit) & U300 - can it be made to work?

I'm having the same issue. I have Windows 7 65 bit and my U300 driver's arent installing. I've downloaded the latest software from Sprint.com/downloads... any suggestions?    

Journeyman

YES, but

...you're not even close.

The 64bit variable is a challenge in itself since the 32<->64bit emulators are unreliable despite Microsoft's unwillingness to just license DEC's Panther code and they're just "copying" it w/o plagiearings it.....theprocess is laborious.

Whether or not your installer is for an older 64 bit OS or you're trying to intall 32bit files into a 64bit OS, the MSI files are preventing your efforts and you can end up circling the solution w/o reaching it.

The MSI has to be modified, and it is actually a better version of Microsoft's substandard JET database packed with exe's and dll's compacted with thir compact.exe engine.

Microsoft publishes a tool at no charge called Orca.exe, it is also included with their Visual Studio suites and comes inside various free SDK's but you can waste 250MB for an SDK just to pull out a 12MB orca.

But, there numerous sites and reputable ones that host the Orca and you can get this done in minutes intead of an hour.

Orca opens the MSI and you'll be greeted with a spreadsheet of edible data, it is sorted chornoloically by first step to last and find hte line "LaunchCondition",

In the right pane are parameters such as Windows version and the actual error text displayed when incompatrible  / unsupported OS are detected. If you have noghting to do you can also change that foturne cookie to read anything yo9u'd like and pass it along to the unsuspecting.

Delete the values in the right pane for launch doncictions, save the MSI undder a different name and leave this original unfettered.

Allow Orca to complete operations, it is a streaming app and if you execute the MSI before it is compeltely saved, it may error and continue its taks or your access actually locks the file and this sis  departure since normally the first app maintains the hold of a file and the save opreation fails and hte MSI is damaged beyond uselss.

After Orca finisshes the save, execute the modified MSI and you'll be greeted with license agreements instead of buzz off errors.

64 Bit apps however can be specified in the 32/64 bit entry and thes aren'te deleted, those parameters are typically boolean like registry dword values or Y/N options and hardly every free text.  Tweak those 64 bit entries at your own pace and continue to reattmpe install unstill successful.

Using this techinque, you can install Windows95 software on an XP box if your that perverted but drivers are suprirxingly compatibel with "unsupported" operating sytsems and this is a trick many Thinkpad admins use to install unsupported server OS's onto thinkpads iwth MSI's made for XP.

Sometimes, you may have a starting exe instead of an MSI, in this case open your %temp% directory and in the foreground

execute the EXE and likely an MSI will appear inside %temp% and takes over the install,

Allow the installation to generate its familiar error popup BUT DON'T ACKNOWLEDGE IT UNTIL YOU'VE COPIED THE EXTRACTED MSI, CLICKING YES TO THE ERROR WILL DELETE THE MSI YOU'RE TRYING TO MODIFY  AND YOU'LL HAVE TO REPEAT THE PROCESS

-TRYING TO MOVE THE MSI WILL LIKELY ERROR SINCE IT IS LOCKED BY THE INSTALLER SERVICE, A COPY OR EVEN DRAG AND DROP IS USUALLY SAFE AND DOENS'T DAMAGE THE FILE

Since you saved a copy of your copy, the installer deltes the msi but your server / 64bit compatible copy is still perserved and you  should store it somewhere in case you need it and before Installer deteles it by design.

Journeyman

Unofficially, it should work on your system with the Vista 64 drivers.  The trick is, you might not see the network adapter component (IE the 4g Wimax component - Beceem Tarang 3) in device manager until you launch the connection manager and it pushes the card into this mode.  The other trick is getting the drivers.  Since the SSV installer didn't see the Beceem Network component, it didn't know to load any drivers for it.  Although, there is a slight possibility that they would be located a c:\programdata\sprint\sprint smartview\drivers\ .  If the drivers are an issue for you, PM me and I'll get you a package that works.

Launch SSV and let it tell you the mobile radio is off.  Check device manager, you should see a device lurking with no driver.  This is the Beceem USB enumerator.  Install this driver and then you'll notice another device without a driver.  This will be the Beceem Network driver.  Install this driver and then check back with the SSV.  It should start searching for 4g networks.  Click on the World Icon when you're ready.  That's pretty much it.  I'll have to admit, the drivers aren't perfect, but as long as you don't unplug the device when it's connected or the light is solid red, it should work fine.

If you don't feel confident doing this, the drivers for Win 7 should be here soon.  I've heard some dates, but they're not firm, so I don't want to throw them out here just yet.  If anyone needs help getting this to work - PM me and I'll be glad to send you any pointers.  I've done 5 - 6 Win 7 computers (including 3 of my own) with the vista drivers and have yet to have it not work.  So, your odds are good, but I can't promise anything.  I will try and help as best I can.

GD

Journeyman

GrooveDaddy,

I'm having the same problem, how do I get in touch with you?

my email is tashman623@yahoo.com.

Im running windows 7, using the U300, can't find the drivers for the bcs200 mobile wimax

thanks

Journeyman ww2
Journeyman

having same issue with HP 6530b Win7E, 64 bit. Multiple bluescreens, inconsistent recognition of u300 hardware. interested in any guidance/suggestions. ww@techemail.com. thanks!

Journeyman

Groovedaddy - I have a U300 on Win 7 32-bit. Can't seem to get this to work. Can you help out? jspaulding22@gmail.com

Thanks in advance.

Journeyman

Hello Groovedaddy - Like jspaulding22, I have Windows 7 32-bit and I cannot seem to get it working. Could you provide a package with instructions to me please? I am at ryan@arxan.com. I tried to go into Device Manager, update drivers for the "USB Data Modem Driver (CM06002) to the drivers in the sprint/driver folder you mentioned above and it doesn't look like it's taking it. I just got the U300 delivered to my door step today.

Journeyman

Hi GD,

Just got a Win 7 64 bit laptop. In device manager "BCS200 Mobile WiMAX" has no drivers installed. Can you please send me the drivers you talked about? My email is:

acameri@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Alex Camerino

Journeyman

Please send me the driver.... thanks ab7661@hotmail.com

Journeyman

still need the driver, has anybody gotten it?  if so, could someone please sent it to me tashman623@yahoo.com?

thanks

Journeyman

Re: Win7 (32-bit) & U300 - can it be made to work?

I'm getting multiple blue screens too.  I hadn't been able to get it to work with Vista either though.  (No blue screens, just unable to activate it.  "The network is not available.  Please try later.")

Does Sprint monitor their forums?  Do they ever respond?  Are they actually working on this?

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat