Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 and Sierra 598.

Highlighted
Journeyman DAM
Journeyman

Windows 7 and Sierra 598.

I've tried everything and I can't get this card to work.  Sprint tech support says it's not supported and to talk to Sierra, while the Sierra website says it's supported as long as you use the latest SmartView software.  I've read on this a couple of people who have gotten to work, any ideas?

I click connect on the SSV software and it says connecting, but then it goes back to ready and it never connects.

Thank you,

david

21 REPLIES 21
Master

Re: Windows 7 and Sierra 598.

The software preinstalled on the card is old. The latest SmartView 2.27 software available from http://www.sprint.com/downloads is compatible with Windows 7, the Sprint.com/downloads site hasn't been updated with the new branding yet, but the software is compatible. The only device that is not supported currently on Win 7 is the Franklin U300.

If you are having issues, uninstall SmartView, and restart your computer. Then using Windows Explorer go to C:\Program Files\ and delete any folder named Sprint, Sierra, or Novatel. After those folders are deleted, reinstall the SmartView 2.27 software while the device is unplugged. Restart the computer and plug the device in. Windows will automatically add the drivers and associate them with the different portions of the Aircard, there are a lot so it can take a while. Once Windows says the harrdware is installed correctly, open up SmartView and connect.

Journeyman DAM
Journeyman

Here are the steps I took.

Uninstalled SSV, restarted.

Removed Sprint, Sierra, etc from program files, restarted.

Installed SSV, with the card unplugged and restarted.

Plugged the card in and the following error occurred. (see attached).

Restarted, and SSV does say connecting, but it never connects.

Any help appreciated.

david

Journeyman DAM
Journeyman

Anyone?

Master

Does the card not work at all after the clean installation, with that error window? TRU-Install is just the autorun on the card that makes it start the installer for SmartView automatically without needing a CD or downloading it. It shouldn't have any bearing on the operation of the device itself.

Journeyman DAM
Journeyman

No, the card does not work at all after a clean install.  Any other thoughts?

Thank you,

david

Journeyman

What I would do is uninstall smartview and try Sierra's connection manager called Watcher.  You can actually download it from here.  This one should be completely windows 7 compatible.  I've had luck using this with customers that are having problems with the Sprint Smartview.  As a matter of fact, I used this connection manager when I had a Compass 597.  I did use if briefly on Win 7 x64 with no issues.  The main advantage here is instead of being a program that literally works with every card Sprint has, it works for just sierra cards, hence less of a chance for something to conflict.  Companies don't always design their products with peaceful coexistance in mind.

Give it a shot and see if that takes care of the problem.  It should be just install, plug, connect, but if you have any further trouble, let me know!

GD

Journeyman DAM
Journeyman

It keeps telling me I need a data profile, but when I try to create one, it never saves.  What needs to be in the data profile?  It asks for a username/password/domain/phone number.

Thank you for your help,

david

Journeyman DAM
Journeyman

Nevermind, I had to disconnect it and connect it a few times (~4) and it finally says PCS profile and it connected just fine.  Thank you thank you thank you for all your help!

david

Journeyman

I have a sierra wireless aircard 402, I installed the sierra watcher you suggested but i am having trouble getting it to connect. When creating a profile do I use the phone number that is listed in sprint smartview? Also what would I put for the domain?

Journeyman DAM
Journeyman

Does it let you create a profile?  If so, I'll post a screenshot of the profile it automatically created for me.

Journeyman

I am able to create a profile, it made a default profile but I am unable to connect through it.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat