cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wouldnt it be nice if Sprint allowed the mifi device to be one of the eligible devices on a family data plan?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wouldnt it be nice if Sprint allowed the mifi device to be one of the eligible devices on a family data plan?

I am a current Sprint customer with a Samsung M520.  I have the Everything Data Individual plan.  Just got an Ipod Touch for Christmas.  Love it.  Saw the value of having a dedicated WiFi connection for it.  Got excited about the MiFi device that Sprint has.  I thought to myself:  "wouldn't it be nice if I could just switch to a Everything Data family plan, buy the mifi device, and then add the MiFi device as one of the devices under the family plan?

Cant do it.  Sprint is making me buy a completely seperate mobile broadband plan for the phone.  This is really too bad. And since they advertise the MiFi device as something the family can share, why not then allow it to be in a shared plan?  This does not make sense to me.

So I guess I am left with downgrading my plan on my Samsung phone (and just go to a talk plus messaging plan), and then purchasing a seperate\additional broadband connection plan and the mifi device, and then use that device with my Ipod touch.  Bummer.

Other ideas I suppose would be to upgrade my Samsung phone for a HTC hero, but then that means I have to spend another 180.00 bucks.  That does not make sense when I already have a wifi capable device in my Ipod touch, and its already paid for.  Plus there are Ipod touch apps that I really like that are not available on Android yet.

Maybe there is a way to get wifi transmitted from my Samsung phone to the Ipod touch? Probably not, but just wondering...

I suppose also I could ditch Sprint all together and just go with At&T and get an IPhone, but that also would be an additional expense.

I am really bummed that the Family data plan does not allow the mifi device to be one of the shared devices.  That would be sweet.

1 REPLY 1
Journeyman

Re: Wouldnt it be nice if Sprint allowed the mifi device to be one of the eligible devices on a family data plan?

I saw this, and had to chuckle a bit.  mifi is considered the same type of device as mobile broadband card/USB adapter. The family plan just typically is there to share air time minutes, and having full data on the phone is just a side effect.

Most phones are WiFi clients and can't normally be used as a Access Point/router for other devices.  Of course I said normally...If you do some searching out there, you can probably find a phone out there that with some work the way you want to.

Of course, I stay away from apple devices.  The Palm Pre is becoming cool and flexible phone that you might want to look at it.  There are alot of new apps coming out that make it a pretty sweet device.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat