cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connect multiple machines to the 598u for internet access. I want to do this wirelessly.

Journeyman

connect multiple machines to the 598u for internet access. I want to do this wirelessly.

I need to connect multiple machines to the 598u for internet access for all.  I want to do this wirelessly.  We are always vying for use of the card at my house and it is getting tiring so I need to make it so we can all access at the same time.  My network will consist of an IMac, a dell laptop and a toshiba laptop.  I am wondering which routers people have used successfully to wirelessly link multiple computers to the air card.  Is the only limitation on which router to use whether or not it has a usb connection for the air card to use?  or are there other limitations or compatibility issues?  Has anyone successfully used an Apple Airport Extreme base station for a router and been successful?

And just what is the "broadband" any way?  and what is evdo???  and what is 3g and 4g and N??? I am not a techie and dont want to be.  I just want to use my computer and not want to scream.   and why doesnt sprint just outright acknowledge that people are trying to do these things and find the answer and put it on line?  why do we have to do the forum venue to get the answer to an obvious question???

thanks (if any one can hear me)...(some forums are so lonely)

sykozz, dazed and confused in Winlock

6 REPLIES 6
Journeyman

Re: connect multiple machines to the 598u for internet access. I want to do this wirelessly.

Well, the easiest way to setup a network would be to use a router.  Cradlepoint makes quite a few that work very well.  For the 598U, I would think the CTR350 (info and pictures here) would work just fine for you.  I've seen these retail for around $99.  Basically, it works like any other router, but it makes the connection with the 598U for you.  Any computers needing access would login via WiFi.

The term "broadband" can mean different things depending on the context in which it's used.  Contemporary definitions would be network access with a high amount of bandwith - ie. a faster connection in terms of throughput.  Common references to broadband would be cable / dsl internet.

3g actually stands for "third generation".  This means, given the technology the provider is using, this is the 3rd revision.  Again, this tends to mean different things in different contexts.  3g is not always equal between providers that use different technology in their networks.  For example, AT&T uses GPRS (or EDGE) and UMTS (WCDMA).  EDGE is the slower data speed and UMTS is the faster data speed.  The confusing part is, if you label a generation as 10 years, then both of these technologies are 3g.  The important thing to remember is this is really just a marketing term thrown around.  I'm sure you've seen the AT&T vs Verizon commercials about who has the largest and fastest 3g network.  Verizon's 3g technology (and likewise Sprint's technology), are capable of sustained rates of just over 2 mb/s.  AT&T's 3g technology (also called HSDPA), is capable of 3.6 mb/s (assuming cat 6).  By looking at these two numbers, you can conclude that AT&T is faster on 3g, right?  Well, that is the technology's max speed.  Actual speed is generally less than that depending on factors like signal strength, load on the tower, signal to noise ratio, etc.  So, it depends on when and where you test the speed as to who may be faster.  Basically the marketing ploy has been 3g = good.  Most people never examine it beyond that.  You will, however, run into people claiming one technology is superior to the other.

4g is of course "4th generation".  Sprint uses this to refer to it's Wimax technology.  The best way to think of wimax is to think of a broadband connection plugged into a router.  You've got good speed and good reliability.  Now, put that on a city-wide scale.  Imagine your home wifi network that you couldn't just go all around your house with, you could go all the way across town.  The speeds on WiMax are generally between 2 - 10 mb/s.  I've seen everything in between and I've personally done 7+ mb/s sustained.

EVDO is a data transmission technology generally know as evolution data optimized.  This is the technology that Verizon and Sprint use for their 3g networks.  As stated above, it's max speed is just about 2mb/s.  So, Verizon and Sprint have CDMA networks that use EVDO technology for high-speed data.  AT&T uses a UMTS network with HSDPA for their high-speed data.

The Wifi tech known as N is really just a faster version of the 802.11g that most laptops come with built in these days.  Whereas 802.11g has a maximum of 54 mb/s, N has a maximum of 600 mb/s.  Keep in mind, these are all theoretical speeds and the average user can expect something considerably less.  This really only benefits you if a.) you need to transfer large amounts of data between computers on your network, or you have many computers using wifi that need to transmit and receive data.  b.) Have a connection that exceeds 54 mb/s.  The typical user will not break the 54mb/s barrier simply because their provider (cable, dsl, etc) doesn't provide that much bandwith to it's users.  The bottleneck tends to always be the ISP rather than the local network.  Beyond that, arguably, N can potentially have a greater range the G, but I have yet to see this in practice.

I hope at least some of that made sense.  If you have any questions or want recommendations on a router, let me know!

GD 

Journeyman

Re: connect multiple machines to the 598u for internet access. I want to do this wirelessly.

Get a wireless router from CradlePoint I got mine from here http://www.3gstore.com/cradlepoint you will save alot of time and headaches.  Connect mulitple machines, You get a bunch of How to Guides from 3gstore and the cd they provide is awesome.

Journeyman

You can be like those jokers or get it the FREE WAY.  Select a host computer (WINDOWS 7 ONLY), go to CNET/download.com  and download connectify, if your wireless adapter is capable to broadcast its own network (as a opposed to AD HOC) you can get any device to connect to your own little wifi network.  Otherwise (non windows 7) you can just ICS and AD HOC your sprint card.  AD HOC works just as good, except for some damn reason the creators of the PS3 wont let you connect to an AD HOC network.

Patron zes
Patron

thanks for the good info.  makes the mud a little bit more clear.  hard to keep on top of the techie stuff these days.

Highlighted
Patron zes
Patron

which router did you purchase??  thanks for responding

Patron zes
Patron

I am using XP still.  havent graduated to windows 7.  have seen somewhere something about ad hoc networks but cant remember where.  and since in am a moron when it comes to networking i would need a tad more guidance on the the mechanics of actually creating the net work.  and it seems everything having to do with sprint is more complex than you would think it needs to be (but that is the way with all softwares just about).  thanks for the response.  I would certainly rather do it the free way since I am getting tired of paying for devices that dont seem to make my life easier but rather more complex. any additional guidance is always appreciated.

computers and all that go with them will be the death of us I believe.  and i say MS is the antichrist.

enjoy!  zes

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat