cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

phone as modem/usb/vista

Journeyman

phone as modem/usb/vista

I've used my Sprint phone as a backup internet connection for several years. Used to use a third party software. When I upgraded my phones in January, I had to sign up for phone as modem. Set up the XP software I got from downloads on both my laptop and desktop. Works fine.
However, I recently got a new laptop with Vista Business on it. I don't find a setup for phone as modem usb for Vista on the downloads page, and I'm baffled. Tried the XP version, just for the fun of it, but it wouldn't install. Likely wouldn't have worked anyway.
Does anybody know if Sprint's going to have usb setup for Vista? If not, does anybody have a clue how I can connect this new laptop up? Bluetooth? My phone's a Sanyo Katana. I don't see a download for Vista that looks to me like it would work for me. Any and all help will surely be appreciated!

13 REPLIES 13
Journeyman

Re: phone as modem/usb/vista

A work around on Vista is to use Bluetooth DUN (if your phone and laptop support it) and forget about the Sprint connection manager.

Journeyman

Thanks for the reply.I don't know how to go about this.Laptop doesn't have bluetooth, but I can add it. Phone is definitely bluetooth. What I don't know is if I need any software, drivers, whatever to get the two to speak to each other. Does anybody have a clue on this?

Journeyman

Just about ANY Bluetooth adapter will work. Vista has basic Bluetooth drivers (including DUN) built in.
Then it is simply, create a new dialup connection and use bluetooth(sprint modem) as the modem, dial #777 and viola! internet connection.
As long as your phone supports DUN, it should just work.

Journeyman

Thanks, mbloof. That worked for me just fine. FYI to anybody out there with the same problem, I got a Linksys USB bluetooth adapter and installed the Windows native drives for it. Seems to work well.

Journeyman

Hey AliceE,
Just out of curiosity what did you pay for your linksys USB-Bluetooth Adapter? Also did Vista install the drivers for you or were the drivers already installed? I'm thinking of using my phone for the same reason and I'm wondering ifI should install the driver ahead of time. (Gonna try to use it for an xbox connection and I doubt I can install drivers for a console, lol)
Sincerely,
TF

Journeyman

I paid $44.97 at Amazon. You might find it for less, but the no sales tax and free shipping at Amazon usually makes for a best price for me.
The drivers that come with this product - Model USBBT100 won't install on Vista, and Linksys has no plans to make drivers that do.
The Vista add hardware wizard ought to come up if you plug this adapter in. If it doesn't, you can start it manually. Then just follow the wizard.
The mistake I initially made was in trying to follow the instructions that come with the adapter. Those don't work; the Vista native drivers do.

Journeyman

Hey AliceE,
Thanks for the info; it definately answers some of my questions. I'll check out amazon.com too and see what I can figure out on there as well. But as far as my purpose for the adapter goes, it may not work out. I don't believe the xbox 360 console can have drivers installed manually (such as activating an "add device" program)however I know that with my linksys router I can store connection protocols and I'm wondering if I can store the dial-up settings on my router and then use the xbox to connect that way. We will have to see. I'll definately post my results on what I've found whether it be here or on a more appropriate thread.
Keep In Touch,
TF

Journeyman

That's an interesting problem you have there with the XBox! I'll be interested to see what happens with that.

Journeyman

Re: phone as modem/usb/VISTA

Yes, I just confirmed your information.

I called Sprint 3 weeks ago and the chap told me just to download the software from the Sprint website, how to install it, blah blah.

Both XP and Vista versions installed just fine on my desktop, which is running XP.

On the new laptop, there is a teensy weensy file missing that is supposed to say "Palm Treo 700p".

Called Sprint back this evening, and he confirmed that there is yet another piece of hardware - the evil Bluetooth adapter.

However, he said, be sure to check the Sprint website every week, because they could release the full Vista version for Phone as Modem any day now...

(evil laughter from Palm CEO.....)

Journeyman

I'm using Win XP Pro and set up a DUN with a blank user and blank password on my Katana, as I did with my 5300 previously. No problems getting on line with the 5300, but am having troubles with the Katana.I see the original handshake initiate, but it stops within seconds and the DUN screen comes back up. Any clues why? TIA, Bob

Journeyman

Are you accepting the connection on the Katana? It seems that on the Katana, you need to accept the connection on the phone itself. You'll see a screen on the Katana telling you that a connection has been established and asking you if you want to accept it or not.I used this type of connection for several years on an older Sanyo model and never had to do this, but I do on the Katana. If that isn't the problem, please post back and maybe I can help by looking at how I'm managing my connection. My connection through the Katana works fine.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat