cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why is sprint event manager doubling my 3g data usage?

Highlighted
Journeyman

why is sprint event manager doubling my 3g data usage?

others have posted the same issue with no resolution and sprint customer service will not help me despite being a customer for 14 years.

using a U301 mobile broadband card on a laptop running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit with sprint smartview 2.28.  each time i use 3g data, the smartview event manager records 2 sessions of almost the same identical duration except one session is 1 second shorter.

Sprint is doubling my data usage. what do i do to correct this?  i have uninstalled and reinstalled smartview several times with no luck.

3 REPLIES 3
Journeyman

Re: why is sprint event manager doubling my 3g data usage?

I have the same problem. The usage bar on the website is half of what the event history manager shows; so I'm afraid if I go by what the website says, the bill will be doubled.

Master

I haven't heard of this before, and I don't use a U301 personally to try and figure it out myself. I work in a retail store so I don't have nearly the access to the technical support materials the Tech reps do. Is it just the event manager that is showing incorrectly? Or are you literally getting billed incorrectly. By this I mean are you for example keeping track that you are downloading 2GB of data in the cycle, and then on your bill it says you used 4GB? Or is it just the event manager that is showing it incorrectly but the billing is just fine?

If the billing is fine then it's a software issue, if the billing is not fine then it could be software, hardware, plan setup, or any number of other things causing the issue. It isn't an extremely common issue. First thing is first, basic troubleshooting. Have you downloaded the latest version of the SmartView software, then completely un-installed the old version, deleting all folders that may be left behind in the Program Files directory; restarting your computer, installing then newest software without the card plugged in, restarting, then plugging the card in, letting it install the drivers on its own? You may also want to restart the computer one last time. That will take the SmartView software possibly being corrupt out of the equation. If you still have an issue, try connecting manually using one of the "Mobile" or "3G Connection" options listed in Network Connections in Windows. This will remove the SmartView software entirely from the equation, Windows will be directly controlling the connection. You won't be able to view the data usage in the same way but it can monitor usage separately as well. Compare that to how much you know you have used, for example download a 10MB file and ensure it states you used only 10MB not 20MB. If Windows also shows you are using double the data, then it could be a hardware issue with your card. Beyond that I'm not entirely sure what else it could be, I don't know of any data profile errors that could cause the issue, if you've already talked to tech support they've probably already checked it even if they didn't tell you they were.

Journeyman

On the Sprint website, under detailed usage, it shows the correct amount I've used so far. However, on the Event History Manager, it shows double entries, thus the usage is twice the amount it's supposed to be. This is my first time using this device, but I'm being very careful about my usage since the account isn't under my name. I'm just afraid the bill will be determined on what the EHM shows and not the website. I've read other accounts of this as well, but it seems to only have happened to not very many people. I'll try what you suggested and see how it goes.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat