cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Summer Smartphone Gift Guide: Phones for Everyone on Your List

Community Manager

Smartphone gift guide.jpeg

OK. I'm going to lay it out right now. There is no single-best phone. What's best for me may not be best for you – and what's best for you may be way too much (or too little) phone for the next person. What follows here is simply a quick take on a smartphone gift guide – something that can help you find a great device for a specific friend or member of your family – like your kids, your gamer nephew, your grandparents, and others. It's also worth noting that I'm not going to bog you down with all of the nitty-gritty details on each phone. However, I will provide you with links to the devices so you can check out just the ones you want. So – with all of that out of the way, let's get going. After all, there's no time to waste because graduation and summer birthdays are right around the corner!

• Kids: Lots of kids these days grow up using their parents’ smartphone, and when you’re ready to get them one, you can save some money with a pre-owned phone. If your kid has never had a cell phone and you’re on the fence about it, check out our guide for when your child should get a cell phone.
  • Teens: Let's face it. Most teens want the latest and greatest. And while there are a lot of new phones out this season, there's almost nothing hotter right now than the Apple iPhone X. It's sleek and stylish, delivers incredible audio, video and photography capabilities, gives you access to your favorite apps, and it has a beautiful display – so everything that's on your screen looks spectacular.
  • Adventurers: For the outdoorsy types and avid (and enthusiastic) travelers on your list, look for a phone that's feature rich and rugged. Something like Kyocera DuraForce Pro. It boasts a Military Standard 810G certification against drop, shock, vibration, high altitude, humidity, icing and freezing rain, and temperature extremes, as well as waterproof IP68 certification for protection against dust, water spray, and full water submersion up to 6.5 feet for up to 30 minutes. In addition, it comes with three built-in cameras (13MP rear camera, 5MP front-facing camera, and a Super Wide View HD Action Camera), an Underwater Mode, fingerprint sensor for biometric authentication and device unlocking, glove and wet touchscreen operation, a two-year manufacturer's warranty and so much more.
  • Photographers: If you're browsing our smartphone gift guide for friends of family members who want to take pro-quality pictures using just their phone, look no further than the Apple iPhone X or the LG V30+. Both devices have been widely praised for their world-class cameras, which include 12MP dual cameras with dual OIS, Portrait mode, Portrait Lighting, and 4K video up to 60 fps, a plus 7MP TrueDepth front camera with Portrait mode and Portrait Lighting (for the iPhone X), and 16MP/13MP dual rear cameras with normal & wide angles, plus a 5MP front-facing camera on the V30+.
  • Gamers: Gamers need speed, rich, immersive colors, big, beautiful displays that make images seem lifelike, and plenty of memory to allow them to play the latest games virtually anywhere. Right now, the top two options for gamers are the Apple iPhone X and the Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus. Both of these devices meet all of the criteria for great gaming on the go, which means that your choice really just boils down to personal preference.

Although my smartphone gift guide could go on for ages – and cover a whole host of devices for music lovers, film buffs, busy professionals and so many others, I have to end somewhere. And here seems like as good a place as any. After all, most of the phones I've covered deliver so many spectacular features that they should bring a smile to just about anyone's face. If you’re still not sure where to start, browse through all of our smartphones and check out our latest phone plan offers. So until our next installment… Happy shopping!

1 Comment
Journeyman

I believe that Windows Phone 7 will become the third major player in the smartphone market with RIM BlackBerry in fourth eventually falling to fourth. Nokia has the chance to improve Windows Phone 7 in the long term, but Microsoft is going to have to promote the operating system more to gain substantial market share. RIM needs to move into the modern smartphone era and is planning to do this with their BBX platform, but that remains to be seen.