cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to Do When You Get the New iPhone

Community Manager

Prepare for your new iPhone.jpg

You’ve heard about the new iPhone , but are you ready to trade your old iPhone for a new iPhone? I know. Who isn't? But are you really ready? Do you know what you can do before upgrading to a new iPhone that will make your life easier after your new device is activated? Yeah – I thought you'd waffle a little on that answer. So let's get you ready!

Here are five quick and easy things you can, and should, do before moving from an old iPhone to a new iPhone:

1) Back up with iCloud and iTunes

• Before you trade your old device for one that's shiny and new (and probably a whole lot faster and more efficient), backup your current iPhone using iCloud. In addition, be sure to back up your device using iTunes. Then, when you get your new phone, restore from both. This way, you'll not only have all of your phone's settings and apps, but you'll also have access to all of your stored passwords on your new device.

2) Unpair your phone

• If you have your phone paired with other devices, like your iPad or Apple Watch, unpair them using Apple's directions (they're easy to find if you just do a search).

3) Wipe it

• If you're selling or donating your phone, or giving it to a friend or family member to use, then you'll want to ensure that all of your personal information has been wiped from the device. To do that, disable Find My iPhone in your Settings, then delete your iCloud account from your device. Once that's complete, open your Settings, then click General->Reset->Erase All Content and Settings, and your old iPhone will be reset back to its factory settings.

4) Unregister your device with Apple Support

• To do this, go to https://getsupport.apple.com/, then click "See Your Products." You'll be taken to a sign-in screen that you'll need to use your Apple ID to access. Once there, simply unregister the device that you no longer want associated with your account.

5) Give your carrier a call, or start an instant chat session with customer service.

• By contacting your carrier and letting them know that you'd like to disassociate a specific device from your account, you'll give yourself an added layer of protection in the event that your device falls into the hands of someone who would like to take advantage of your account.

button_see-the-new-iphones.png

Get help in a Sprint store.JPGWith just a few tips on how to upgrade to a new iPhone from your old iPhone, you can get the latest device with all of the power, performance, and features you want – as well as all of your passwords and your favorite apps. And with just a little bit of care, you can do it all – and protect your personal information from the device's next owner. And don't forget. Once you receive your new iPhone, our customer service team can help you set up your device if you need it. Just give 'em a call at 1-866-275-1411 and they'll be happy to help.

button_check-my-upgrade-eligibility.png